Ordering Tackle from Europe

badgerale

Would this VAT uplift apply to an item bought privately from an EU individual who is not registered for VAT?

Just asking for a friend.
And quietly cackin' meself.
:oops:
There's a bit of luck to that.

The wife gets stuff sent across from her friends in Australia, and sometimes customs will slap a charge on it and sometimes not. Just luck of the draw whether they pick it up or not.

Recently got a Christmas present from some Norwegian friends - hand knitted baby clothes. Not even bought in a shop, but still customs decided we owed them money on it.

crackatoa

Site Supporter
We've been slapped a couple of times when the eldest has sent stuff from Aus. Yet not been charged at times as well. As you say, luck of the draw.

genesis

Account Locked
Before Brexit any live firearms imported into the UK had a 16% tax and deactivated had a 12% tax. This was a rule imposed on us by Brussels. Now they have none so happy days :ROFLMAO:

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Glad I bought 3 new Tricast rods in December!
Do Tricast produce their own carbon cloth, or do they import it ? It would be great if all of a sudden, Tricast,Harrison,Free Spirit etc etc became the more affordable option for anglers.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Do Tricast produce their own carbon cloth, or do they import it ? It would be great if all of a sudden, Tricast,Harrison,Free Spirit etc etc became the more affordable option for anglers.
apprently they use japanese sourced carbons, (source might be dodgy though, it was a article from 10 years ago)

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
Import duty and taxes are one thing, postage charges are something else ! I was recently quoted £17.00 postage for 8 packets of quick release beads sent from England to Ireland !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Import duty and taxes are one thing, postage charges are something else ! I was recently quoted £17.00 postage for 8 packets of quick release beads sent from England to Ireland !
next time, gissa shout with what you want, I'll get em and post to you (for £16, bargain eh ?)

kevin o connor

M.O.G. member
Staff member
Site Supporter
It said it was being sent by Royal Mail . At that price I would expect the Queen herself to deliver it !

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
joking aside Kev, if you want owt like that, like I said gissa shout-PM and I'll sort it for you, sure I can do better on post than that, even my courier I use wouldnt charge that, would get 8 packs in a large letter size easy

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
As far as normal channels go the prices charged to shops by the European based companies have not changed in the main so the various price lists are all as they were last year for now.
Private individuals are now more likely to pay vat and import duty on products sold by anybody outside the UK which was a bit hit and miss previously but now will be 100% enforced.
The general subject of price increases will be caused by global shipping rates going up by massive amounts so new stock arriving in the country will eventually feed through with a figure of around 10% being suggested by some of the tackle firms as the haulage costs have gone up 400% in some cases none of which have anything to do with brexit.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Thanks Mick, I appreciate the offer. I was going to ask Trogg, but the last time , he said no, but would deliver them to me himself ! He had the whole family with him and them stayed for a week ! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Small price to pay for such lovely entertainment and company!

proper cheap then !
Cheap, you ain't seen how much i eat ;)

pies

Site Supporter
If the EU makers are losing out as a business I sure they will move to a more suitable country.
Who? Any market that wants their product’s already buys them. Its just a loss of income that cannot be replaced

62tucker

Site Supporter
Bloke was on radio/ web yesterday saying stuff he imports from EU,trampolines etc are costing him loads to import mainly due to fees from haulage companies. He said if it persists he will have to consider making them in UK. All i will say is good

Who? Any market that wants their product’s already buys them. Its just a loss of income that cannot be replaced
Seem to be contradicting your earlier post. 🤷‍♂️

pies

Site Supporter
Seem to be contradicting your earlier post. 🤷‍♂️
Think we re getting confused. You appeared to say the EU will just sell there products to other countries, i say there is no market for that as ny country that wants EU products will already be buying them. However if EU products are proving to expensive to UK consumers there will be opportunities to make them cheaper in UK thus EU lose market share 🙂

62tucker

Site Supporter
Think we re getting confused. You appeared to say the EU will just sell there products to other countries, i say there is no market for that as ny country that wants EU products will already be buying them. However if EU products are proving to expensive to UK consumers there will be opportunities to make them cheaper in UK thus EU lose market share 🙂
Yes. I saying if a company starts to lose say a million pound of ground bait sales or fishing tackle from the uk I am sure any company will look at ways of sorting that out.
Move production or sure there’s other ways as there always is. Things seem to be getting better by the day 👍