Ordering Tackle from Europe

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Would this VAT uplift apply to an item bought privately from an EU individual who is not registered for VAT?

Just asking for a friend.
And quietly cackin' meself.
:oops:

genesis

Account Locked
Read this today, might clarify, might frighten, might sway your decision.
Stop buying from abroad and find the same or similar in the UK. The price might go up but at least there won't be hidden import charges, taxes etc.

Knowing what was going to happen after Brexit she should have bought her stuff a lot earlier.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
If i can help it in Future i wont buy owt From China not even a Chinese takeaway, i love seeing the one at the top of our street suffer. And Before the they aint all to blame ya know Mob start Crowing, i know neither are we but we are all suffering.

genesis

Account Locked
If i can help it in Future i wont buy owt From China not even a Chinese takeaway, i love seeing the one at the top of our street suffer. And Before the they aint all to blame ya know Mob start Crowing, i know neither are we but we are all suffering.
The one just up from our village has closed down. Shame really as great food. I know a lot who stopped going due to covid and I see and appreciate your point of view. But your local chinky is a long way from China. It's a bit like not buying an Audi or a Beemer as they are made by the krauts. Saying that we used to go to Tai Lee Chinese Supermarket in Leeds for lots of stuff but haven't been since covid started.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
The one just up from our village has closed down. Shame really as great food. I know a lot who stopped going due to covid and I see and appreciate your point of view. But your local chinky is a long way from China. It's a bit like not buying an Audi or a Beemer as they are made by the krauts. Saying that we used to go to Tai Lee Chinese Supermarket in Leeds for lots of stuff but haven't been since covid started.
Balls to em like with the Eu (y)

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
There'll be a huge hike in second hand gear prices soon then... looks like I'm sorted with all me vintage gear... (smug mode engaged)🤣🤣🤣

62tucker

Site Supporter
If the EU makers are losing out as a business I sure they will move to a more suitable country.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Not fussed myself. If I can’t afford it I don’t buy it. Loads of fishing stuff on the market that’s produced in the U.K. & I don’t use continental groundbaits etc. No change for me. Some companies may just price themselves out of the British market & that will help our jobs & economy. Up yours EU!

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
Trying to dissect where an angling product is actually made is nigh on impossible. However, if in doubt, it's often pretty safe to assume that it won't be in the UK or Europe. Whether it bears a UK or European brand name is usually irrelevant. Good luck trying to buy any reel that's not made in the far east. If you want to buy a UK made reel, you had best get to grips with centrepins really quickly. If you want a UK made rod, you've got some choice, top end Daiwa, Harrison and Century come to mind. However, you might have to remove the guides and reel seat to avoid any hint of China.

For those thinking that they are going to avoid Chinese made products, good luck using the internet when your current devices break or become obsolete. In fact, you can pretty much forget anything electrical. Even if the product is made elsewhere, it'll be packed with Chinese made components. The same goes for your TV and audio gear. It's going to be very quiet in your house as you sit and read a book or two.

As for your boycotting your local "Chinese", a bit like your local "Indian", there's a fair chance that the owners and workers are neither Chinese nor Indian.

I'm all for the idea of buying British. However, people have to be realistic and logical about it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've just cleaned up this thread

62tucker, genesis, wise owl - if you have an issue with one of the moderators bring it to my attention instead of posting like a little gang of playground children - it's not gone un-noticed here and previously and as I have always maintained I will support the moderators first and foremost.

62tucker

Site Supporter
If some fishing tackle is going to cost more from the EU then I see that as a positive not a negative.

feldri

Site Supporter
Seems like a good time for some budding entrepreneurs to do some research into fishing tackle and groundbait etc, and start manufacturing it in the uk. I'm sure we have skilled people in this country who could design and produce angling products.

HawkerMan

For me it's all about freedom to be able to do trade with any country we like.
Strike a deal where both parties are happy and move on to the next deal.
We will never compete with China as their labour cost is so low so just get the best deal you can with them.
It's better to work with people rather than fight them.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Seems like a good time for some budding entrepreneurs to do some research into fishing tackle and groundbait etc, and start manufacturing it in the uk. I'm sure we have skilled people in this country who could design and produce angling products.
Reminds me of when my wife worked as a manager at a bakery plant, one bloke I met was into his fishing, I asked if I could have some crumb, you know a kg or two, he said I could have a 1 tonne bag from the clean up from the machines 😂😂