Ordering Tackle from Europe

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Well its beginning to look like the new rules are kicking in over ordering goods from europe

Custom dues added to the price paid and being collected by courier companies on behalf of the taxman at point of delivery

people are reporting that they have bought thier items as normal on the shops websites, paid the price quoted and when the goods are delivered, theres an import customs bill to be paid before they take delivery and recieve thier goods

looks like anything, gift or purchase with a value over £39, attracts a bill for import VAT, (rather like buying from the USA in the past)

and anything over a £135 threshold attracts customs due of an amount up to 25% plus the import VAT

this is on top of what courier firms and the post office are charging as handling fees due to more paperwork

many of our preferred groundbait, tackle, pole manufacturers etc are EU based and on the assumption that they will also be paying the import-vat on stuff thats brought into the UK, it looks very much like our fishing could become more expensive in the near future

might be time to go on aspending splurge and buy up as much as you can find on the shelves thats already here !

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Well its beginning to look like the new rules are kicking in over ordering goods from europe

Custom dues added to the price paid and being collected by courier companies on behalf of the taxman at point of delivery

people are reporting that they have bought thier items as normal on the shops websites, paid the price quoted and when the goods are delivered, theres an import customs bill to be paid before they take delivery and recieve thier goods

looks like anything, gift or purchase with a value over £39, attracts a bill for import VAT, (rather like buying from the USA in the past)

and anything over a £135 threshold attracts customs due of an amount up to 25% plus the import VAT

this is on top of what courier firms and the post office are charging as handling fees due to more paperwork

many of our preferred groundbait, tackle, pole manufacturers etc are EU based and on the assumption that they will also be paying the import-vat on stuff thats brought into the UK, it looks very much like our fishing could become more expensive in the near future

might be time to go on aspending splurge and buy up as much as you can find on the shelves thats already here !
Lots in the uk is out of stock already ,Des Ship was on a pod cast and said as quick as stuff is coming in its flying out ,pre ordered. Its going to be a barmy year i think ,getting what you need .

62tucker

Site Supporter
I sure when nobody buys there stuff from the EU they might be more upset then someone here that can’t buy there preferred groundbait

Last edited by a moderator:

robert d

Site Supporter
Lots in the uk is out of stock already ,Des Ship was on a pod cast and said as quick as stuff is coming in its flying out ,pre ordered. Its going to be a barmy year i think ,getting what you need .
I went on a spending spree last week for odds and sods ,couple of nets,loads of elastic,pole floats,line ,skid bungs,pole protectors and so on lol 😆, good old Bobco

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Are we Dooooooooooooooooooooooooooomed Mick ?
depends on how you look at it

few years back, using worldwide E-Bay, I chanced on a mush in the USA selling a rake of NOS mitchell reel spares, multitude of stuff that covered damn near every model of the egg shaped reels, messaged him, got his e-mail, done the deal, paid by paypal and awaited delivery

all good so far, I knew I could flog the spares for far more than I paid for em, and awaited the "Rodney" moment

until the box of parts arrived in the UK, then if I remember right I got a letter from customs wanting damn near what I had paid for the bits as import dues, well what do you do, I paid otherwise I wouldnt of got the stuff

had a mate with the same thing, he bought a set of wetproofs from Cabela and got stung for another wallet full too before he took delivery

just look at the amount of fishing gear that comes from europe, lets take one item, say Maver poles, will they rise in price due to them being imported, as they are made exclusively in europe

VDE, Sensas, other groundbaits, shedloads of hook and float companies, are the same, are we looking at price hikes there ?

pies

Site Supporter
Bloke was on radio/ web yesterday saying stuff he imports from EU,trampolines etc are costing him loads to import mainly due to fees from haulage companies. He said if it persists he will have to consider making them in UK. All i will say is good

robert d

Site Supporter
depends on how you look at it

few years back, using worldwide E-Bay, I chanced on a mush selling a rake of NOS mitchell reel spares, multitude of stuff that covered damn near every model of the egg shaped reels, messaged him, got his e-mail, done the deal, paid by paypal and awaited delivery

all good so far, I knew i could flog the spares for far more than I paid for em, and awaited the "Rodney" moment

until the box of parts arrived in the UK, thenif I remember right I got a letter from customs wanting damn near what I had paid for the bits as import dues, well what do you do, I paid otherwise I wouldnt of got the stuff

had a mate with the same thing, he bought a set of wetproofs from Cabela and got stung for another wallet full too before he took delivery

just look at the amount of fishing gear that comes from europe, lets take one item, say Maver poles, will they rise in price due to them being imported, as they are made exclusively in europe

VDE, Sensas, other groundbaits, shedloads of hook and float companies, are the same, are we looking at price hikes there ?
I hope not 😭

robert d

Site Supporter

Good shout Mick 👏

nejohn

Site Supporter
I was just about to press the buy button on a £270 rod from a French retailer, but I thought maybe I should look into this 1st, it looks like that £270 rod might also be subject to 25% VAT plus an additional charge by the carrier so the total cost would possibly be £270 + £67 (VAT) + possibly upto £40 additional carrier fee so the total could be £380, the VAT we can not do a lot about at the minute but the £40 additional carrier fee is just extortionate and smacks of carriers out to make a quick profit by claiming the that it will cost an extra £40's worth of work to complete any additional paper work especially when the original postage price was less than £10. For me this purchase won't happen at this time and I will spend my cash with a UK seller (unfortunately no stock of said rod in the UK) maybe revisit the French route in a couple of months time to see if things have changed, however I think there is probably quite a bit of profiteering going on at the minute regarding BREXIT.....but if it means more trade for UK based business in the long run then job done

Wise Owl

Account Locked
What happened to support local tackle shop 🤷‍♂️
Soon the Holiday companies will be trying to get yer to go Abroad again, if and i guess there will be big Changes to travel and Cost dont go with your Price Range, balls to em stay home and Keep British Companies Flourishing. The Foreign Companies will soon change their ways when the start Loosing Money.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A considerable amount of fishing tackle is produced in Europe

Pretty near everything from Ultra high end seat boxes, poles, rods, to a simple fishing hook

theres a lot of british companies source thier goods from manufacturers over the channel, and import and sell them on in the UK

It will effect the fishing trade and the prices anglers pay, whether you buy as a personal import or from shops dealing with companies such as Maver, Preston, etc

near all the popular and accepted groundbaits are also european produced and imported

once all the existing stocks are gone, are we to see price rises on all tackle from the smallest to the big buy purchases,

that trip to your local, may buy you considerably less in the near future, so it will effect your buying power and the trade

Wise Owl

Account Locked
URGENT POST BREXIT ANNOUNCEMENT FROM GENESIS-RIZOV POLE FLOATS

OUR PRICES WILL NOT BE GOING UP SO DON'T PANIC. WE EVEN ABSORBED THE RECENT ROYAL MAIL POSTAGE INCREASE ON THE 1st JANUARY
:):):)(y)
Well done mate and Best Of British to ya (y)

genesis

Account Locked
Because some live to moan.
I sure Dave posted other week on Brexit thread that he was sick to death of people posting moaning rubbish about Brexit.
So someone starts a new thread on it when really this could be in the post Brexit thread.
I set up a post Brexit thread for all things post Brexit. Dave suggested someone should open one after the Brexit thread was locked up.

62tucker

Site Supporter
The money we have saved in the last year should see us alright to pay a few extra quid to help a tackle shop out

squimp

Site Supporter
I was looking for a small lure fishing reel just after Xmas. I narrowed it down to a couple of Daiwa models.

Eventually I found one in a shop in Austria (on eBay) that they were knocking out cheap.

Even with the carriage (£11) it was much cheaper than the very few available here. My local shop had nothing suitable.

After I had ordered it I started worrying about delays and tax etc etc. It turned up in about 5 days, good as gold.

Regarding buying from USA, I used to buy miles of Berkeley line on monster bulk spools for me and my mates to share. We used to calculate 27% tax on the USA retail and then pay carriage. The final cost was about 1/4 of what we would have paid in U.K. (but the big spools weren’t available here). I still have to buy fly hooks there as nobody sells them here in bulk. Then I split the packs with mates.

I once bought 500 unusual Mustad fly hooks from USA after the U.K. mustad agent refused to buy them in for me. They worked out roughly 1/4 of what the U.K. agent would have sold them to me for ! Made in Norway, sent to USA and then back here cheap....how does that work ?