Orchard farm fishery ,paddock wood.

ATTICUS FINCH

more presicely lake ten of said fishery. Ihavent fished a match for about eight years now and am just starting back fishing again and the deep end of match fishing is where im heading. i have been out a couple of times with a friend on a pleasure bash but its Orchard farm for me on the 14 th of this very month of june.
i have never fished it in the past and its a silver fish lake so im assuming its maggot shalla for the ide ,but im looking for some inside info if anyone has any.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've fished two of the three match lakes at Orchard which are clustered together. Sadly I haven't fished lake 10 which, as you say is the silverfish (30g c/w max) lake. I have fished the other two using method and p/w. Cracking results!
Personally I'd be tempted to ring pull my tin(s) of Jolly Green Giant to see if anything lumpy is about on a feeder or bomb. The tench may like it, and so may the bream wannabees As you say maggot/pinkie should be fine. I was planning to give my Supera SL rod a run at that lake after my trip to Monk Lakes (hopefully) towards the end of this week. The guys in the tackle shop where you book in are very helpful on tactics. Not sure if there are any rules on groundbait. Check when you book in

Hope you do well. Be good to get some feedback if poss
Tight Lines

ps just checked with the web site, Apparently there are barbel in that lake?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Carshalton fished it at the weekend

winning method was conti-style whip fishing

barrage of groundbait at the start, 20 balls in and over the top with maggot, hook and loose fed for a weight of 28lb 4oz, upwards of 400 roach, ide, small skimmers

second place fished the same for 27lb 12oz not as many but slightly bigger fish

short line pole using maggot, caster took the section places

corn on the day was useless

its one of those ponds where if your pleasuring and only a few on, you will bag a good 30lb of silvers, put a match on it and things change drastically,

theres loadsa fish in it, but its still a hole in the ground, no platforms, just mud banks, very little bankside cover-reeds etc, couple islands but they are of little bonus catching wise

Last edited:

Total

Site Supporter
@ATTICUS FINCH ....As Mick said above, but If near one of the two islands, especially on the far side ( looking from Lake 6 car park) can and does produce the odd better carp, bream. tench, barbel. This side also has the most cover with near side reeds....Might be worth taking some worm with you if you have it, but can be hit or miss.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Out of all the places I have ever fished

Orchard ranks really high as to ones I dislike

fished lake 5 and 6 around a dozen times, mainly in leagues, and hated near every minute of it, I know you can cath 200lb of F1's etc, but that holds no love for me

what finally convinced me I aint never ever going there agaiin was two or three winter league matches on lake 10 just after it had been dug and opened up, bloody freezing cold, blowing a gale, swamped with mud, caught very little

one day there was 15 anglers on the far bank and 17 on the near and the winner had 2 fish for 15oz, everyone on the near bank blankled

I know its got better, but just driving down there, through kings hill, a deep depression comes upon me like my soul is screaming you dont belong here michael

it was the final straw for me winter league wise, when the venue was swiched to there for the final matches,

Total

Site Supporter
@mickthechippy.......Agree about the muddy banks, especially Lake 5 in winter, mud not so much of a problem on Lake 6 except for the pegs on the causeway which can be bloody messy in winter....Still plenty of F1's to be caught in 5 and 6 but have won club matches on those lakes with the stockings of various carp in recent times.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Wow! Orchard Farm is around 20 miles from me right at the limit of my attainable venue range. Yes, lakes 5 and 6 are not a challenge to fish but I've had more than F1s out of there pleasure fishing. TBH, I'd much prefer an alternate venue, but the facilities there for me are good, and the car parks are right on top some of the swims, which makes it so much easier for me to set up and fish. Any more than 20 meters away from the car I struggle. That's why I can't have fun fishing somewhere nearer like the Great Danes pond. I might make it there, but never back to the car park with my gear. Orchard Farm suits me simply for the previous stated reasons and that I can be as active catchwise as I fancy mostly (and the concessionary rates aren't bad either)

ATTICUS FINCH

Thanks for the input chaps and sorry you don't like it mickle.
No carp allowed in our match just silver's and of course tench and Bertie's.
I was thinking of shalla for the ide and roach.but Mick suggests otherwise .so I'm up in the air lol

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Thanks for the input chaps and sorry you don't like it mickle.
No carp allowed in our match just silver's and of course tench and Bertie's.
I was thinking of shalla for the ide and roach.but Mick suggests otherwise .so I'm up in the air lol
As I said earlier, I've always found that the guys in the tackle shop are usually helpful with regards to tactics. If you can get through on the dog and bone, they may well give you some tips. I think Mick is a highly experienced match fisherman. Me I'm purely pleasure so I'm coming from a different perspective.

Good luck

Silver fan 82

Out of all the places I have ever fished

Orchard ranks really high as to ones I dislike

fished lake 5 and 6 around a dozen times, mainly in leagues, and hated near every minute of it, I know you can cath 200lb of F1's etc, but that holds no love for me

what finally convinced me I aint never ever going there agaiin was two or three winter league matches on lake 10 just after it had been dug and opened up, bloody freezing cold, blowing a gale, swamped with mud, caught very little

one day there was 15 anglers on the far bank and 17 on the near and the winner had 2 fish for 15oz, everyone on the near bank blankled

I know its got better, but just driving down there, through kings hill, a deep depression comes upon me like my soul is screaming you dont belong here michael

it was the final straw for me winter league wise, when the venue was swiched to there for the final matches,
I have never fished it. Went for a walk round years ago, lots of barren looking holes in the ground which put me off. Not my cuppa tea but probably good for a match from what Ive heard.

Silver fan 82

Wow! Orchard Farm is around 20 miles from me right at the limit of my attainable venue range. Yes, lakes 5 and 6 are not a challenge to fish but I've had more than F1s out of there pleasure fishing. TBH, I'd much prefer an alternate venue, but the facilities there for me are good, and the car parks are right on top some of the swims, which makes it so much easier for me to set up and fish. Any more than 20 meters away from the car I struggle. That's why I can't have fun fishing somewhere nearer like the Great Danes pond. I might make it there, but never back to the car park with my gear. Orchard Farm suits me simply for the previous stated reasons and that I can be as active catchwise as I fancy mostly (and the concessionary rates aren't bad either)
Have you ever tried Claygate Lakes? The main match / pleasure lakes are a short distance from the car park. Also Wylands has multiple lakes, most with their own car parks.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Have you ever tried Claygate Lakes? The main match / pleasure lakes are a short distance from the car park. Also Wylands has multiple lakes, most with their own car parks.
Thanks. I used to be a frequent visitor to Wylands farm, particularly when I had a caravan at St Leonard's which was just 10 minutes away. Sadly, that is no longer available to me being outside my range for a day visit. Claygate, however, I haven't tried yet and will check it out- thanks

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Wylands

a venue that will forever live in the hearts of those who once fished the Maggotdrowners Southern Fur and Feather Matches

such fine times !

ATTICUS FINCH

Wylands

a venue that will forever live in the hearts of those who once fished the Maggotdrowners Southern Fur and Feather Matches

such fine times !
We had some pretty inclement weather there one year Mick if you can remember. I think Gilbert was the only one left fishing as he had the wind to his back and his brolly kept him dry ,for everyone else it was in the face and we all got soaked and ended up in the cafe watching him bag up

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
We had some pretty inclement weather there one year Mick if you can remember. I think Gilbert was the only one left fishing as he had the wind to his back and his brolly kept him dry ,for everyone else it was in the face and we all got soaked and ended up in the cafe watching him bag up

That was the very last time I wore a set of Preston's "waterproofs" as they were reduced to blotting paper. :mad:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Wylands

such fine times !
Indeed, while I never fished a match there, Wylands holds fond memories for me also. Just wish I could remember the name of the guy that used to come round on his quad bike with his Jack Russel collecting the day ticket fees. But I do remember my stepson breaking the ice from a boat to improve his chances of catching anything (that was before he fell in - not for the first time)

Total

Site Supporter
Indeed, while I never fished a match there, Wylands holds fond memories for me also. Just wish I could remember the name of the guy that used to come round on his quad bike with his Jack Russel collecting the day ticket fees. But I do remember my stepson breaking the ice from a boat to improve his chances of catching anything (that was before he fell in - not for the first time)

It was keith;)...(y).....Shotgun across the front of the quad and white terrier on the back..:giggle:.....Another gentleman did sometimes partake on the same quad but his name escapes my memory at present...

Cobweb

Site Supporter
It was keith;)...(y).....Shotgun across the front of the quad and white terrier on the back..:giggle:.....Another gentleman did sometimes partake on the same quad but his name escapes my memory at present...
(y)