Optimum height of seat above box footplate

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can say i have had my seat position a little to high and ended up with pain tip toeing shipping pole in and out and back ache when ive adjusted to low ,im talking about an inch either way . I think seat position is critical fishing long pole .
i made a couple of tables once for a cafe,

made the stands to the standard hight of a table, then without thinking, added the 50mm thick pine top,

it made them just that to tall to use, had to go back and cut the legs down to suit

your be surprised how critical seat and user hights are

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
I can't see what my Octbox looks like because I'm comfortably sat on it:)
Im not knocking octbox ,im on my second one , they have done everything i need them to ,strong ,stable ,very long lasting ,superb in every department but i really think a little twiddle with cosmetics would make them even better . Just an honest review , and Rick is a really top bloke ,hes always asking fir anglers views and ideas ,i have spoken with him a few times .

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
When I got rid of my Octbox, purely because it was too heavy, I chose another H-frame - the Matrix F25. The height of the seat is crucial for me as I get leg cramps. I have it an inch or two higher than probably most would - so my legs are at 90 degrees or slightly greater. If it was less, I would be in danger of getting cramp.

However, there are times when fishing a long pole when I have to lift the leg, by tip-toeing, to balance the pole on my leg. I suppose it's all a question of compromise.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I've never understood the reason why manufacturers went away from the all in one unit style box in the first place. I know once the cassette type platforms came in the height of the seats became virtually fixed and to alter meant adding or subtracting a unit, and I suppose to some degree having a storage unit gives a few more options, but it also seems a loss of valuable storage space resulting in needing extra luggage to carry what once used to live under the seat.
True, but they sell you all sorts of stuff that you need with modern seat boxes. My old Boss system has plenty of room to store reels, rod rest heads , mud feet , legs, feeders and the side tray in the bottom of it. You can’t do that in the new ones. So everybody has a bag for this and a bag for that. Ready rod bags , because there is nowhere to store reels. We’re muppets really for falling for it.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
In Tommy Pickerings seat box set up video, he says that when stood on the footplate the seat should be approx 1” below the bend in your knee. That’s what I set mine up to. I’ll measure it and post another photo later.

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
Right following on. Measured mine this morning and it’s 51” , which is to just below the knee for me. I don’t know how Des Shipp can say 45” , although he is a bit of a Hobbit. That would really make my knees ache. A couple of photos of said box with the new drawer sections in place, and I think this is how I shall have it, although I will wait to try it first.

Attachments

• 875E4696-0229-4DAE-B1F1-1E77B68A7FB3.jpeg
    875E4696-0229-4DAE-B1F1-1E77B68A7FB3.jpeg
    307.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 674F36D0-06A2-4D5D-A0D1-51330D945530.jpeg
    674F36D0-06A2-4D5D-A0D1-51330D945530.jpeg
    326.5 KB · Views: 17
  • 13615BB5-88B2-4D23-B8F1-121FC407F808.jpeg
    13615BB5-88B2-4D23-B8F1-121FC407F808.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 15
  • 042EAED9-3DF2-466F-BC28-57D37CBB2D48.jpeg
    042EAED9-3DF2-466F-BC28-57D37CBB2D48.jpeg
    307.4 KB · Views: 17

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Right following on. Measured mine this morning and it’s 51” , which is to just below the knee for me. I don’t know how Des Shipp can say 45” , although he is a bit of a Hobbit. That would really make my knees ache. A couple of photos of said box with the new drawer sections in place, and I think this is how I shall have it, although I will wait to try it first.
That’s the business mate 👍👍

matti

Site Supporter
I've just bought an inception station, was delivered today, unfortunately its going back as it was delivered damaged, im 5'6" and the platform to seat height is perfect for me

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
The trick to getting the stickers straight is to offer it up to where you want to finally put it before you take the backing off and use a piece of masking tape as a marker underneath or above it and to one side of it, like a placeholder.

Then when you're ready to apply the sticker you know where to start and the line to follow ;)

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
The Maggotdrowning sticker I have on rear window of my car is on straight,
That's in the left top corner, The Rodfather sticker in right top corner.
Had a few comments on the MD one told them about forum, some may have joined ,I dont know.
As for box one ,I am blaming trying to balance unit and put sticker on as well.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
The Maggotdrowning sticker I have on rear window of my car is on straight,
That's in the left top corner, The Rodfather sticker in right top corner.
Had a few comments on the MD one told them about forum, some may have joined ,I dont know.
As for box one ,I am blaming trying to balance unit and put sticker on as well.
Mine is on the p**s a bit 🤷‍♂️ 8B2E7F0E-6A81-4DC4-A663-E71C752340BC.jpeg