Optimum height of seat above box footplate

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Oh well, I am just so happy that I have an octbox that I can adjust to my temperament ✅😜
I think the only thing Rick should do is improve the looks a little ,everything else is brilliant

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
Yes but if you’ve got a footplate on what difference does having a fixed or non fixed frame have, if you are still trying to retain “optimal “ seating position ???you’re frame would still have to be relative to your footplate, only the legs are moving?? In my experience all moving frame boxes, seem to slip
I can guarantee the Octbox doesn’t slip, had mine fixed in the same position for over six years and it hasn’t moved. But then, the Octbox legs don’t slip either, even at full extension.

Keith Sparky

Don't buy a box with a fixed frame and the problem won't exist

They offer no advantages but a whole load of disadvantages - not least the cost of buying sufficient drawers or trays to jack the seat up to the correct height. It's like reinventing the wheel but making it square instead.

Simon
I have 2 different set ups for my series 5 preston box which is an H frame......most of the time when pleasure fishing off level platforms I don't use the footplate and with 3 drawers its 49cm high per my original post which is perfect for me and is low to the ground.....now if I need to attach the platform then this raises my feet just over 5 inches higher from the ground as they are now on a footplate....for this set up I have a set of longer legs so that I can raise the box on the h frame to get 49cm above the footplate and still have side trays at the right height....I have also cut some lengths of 30mm diameter steel pipe with 1mm wall depth to and the pipe fits perfectly over 23mm square legs. I slip these onto to the longer legs and they then act as solid leg levellers so that my H frame never slips dangerously....the extra longer legs were about £60 at the time but with 2 sets of legs I can safely fish at the correct height with or without the footplate...

robert d

Site Supporter
Looks fine to me, but then I’m an Engineer and have no artistic flair........
The engineering is fab , many people like the looks ,i just think a few more colour options and finish would supplement them , i think you can have them carbon wrapped now before shipment, not sure if he still has that option

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
A standard dining or kitchen chair seat is between 17 1/2 and 18 1/2 inches or 45cm to 47cm your box seat-footplate hight should really reflect that,

it only took a 1000 years to work out

nejohn

Site Supporter
Yes but if you’ve got a footplate on what difference does having a fixed or non fixed frame have, if you are still trying to retain “optimal “ seating position ???you’re frame would still have to be relative to your footplate, only the legs are moving?? In my experience all moving frame boxes, seem to slip
Bugger..... Obviously been doing it wrong for all of these years... Must admit though never had a H frame leg slip.... Obviously must be buying the wrong boxes

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
A standard dining or kitchen chair seat is between 17 1/2 and 18 1/2 inches or 45cm to 47cm your box seat-footplate hight should really reflect that,

it only took a 1000 years to work out
You don’t hold 16m of carbon on a dining chair, you should set the footplate height to seat, that is most comfortable- and that will usually mean thighs parallel to the footplate with feet flat on it.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Has anyone actually done an ergonomic study of anglers?
Serious question because if companies make claims surely they should have the research to back up the claims

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
You don’t hold 16m of carbon on a dining chair, you should set the footplate height to seat, that is most comfortable- and that will usually mean thighs parallel to the footplate with feet flat on it.
chairs are made through a one size fits all system, so you can go in a cafe, restaurant, waiting room etc and that chair will suit the majority of its users

the human calf length on average has decided the sizes quoted

robert d

Site Supporter
Has anyone actually done an ergonomic study of anglers?
Serious question because if companies make claims surely they should have the research to back up the claims
I can say i have had my seat position a little to high and ended up with pain tip toeing shipping pole in and out and back ache when ive adjusted to low ,im talking about an inch either way . I think seat position is critical fishing long pole .