Optimum height of seat above box footplate

Keith Sparky

Was listening to Des Shipp live stream yesterday and they were talking about the new Preston Inception station box which is on a fixed frame and stated that Preston wanted to achieve the optimum height from top of the seat to the footplate without the need to add or remove costly stacker units. It is set at 45cm from footplate to top of the seat.... my current set up on my old series 5 box which I have just measured to keep my legs parallel is 49cm and I am 6ft 1in ish.....so 45cm seems a little low for me.......whats your set up?

chris1967

Site Supporter
kinda depends on how tall you are ,i had a map z30 with x 1 deep drawer x2 shallow drawers x1 shallow tray before i could get it parallel

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
Preston wanted to achieve the optimum height from top of the seat to the footplate without the need to add or remove costly stacker units. It is set at 45cm from footplate to top of the seat....
There is no optimum, it will vary from person to person owing to difference in height / the length of their legs / the size of their arse.
Ideally you want it set so that the top of your legs are parallel to the extended footplate once you are sitting comfortably on the box with the rear of the box fractionally higher (5mm) that the front of the box to distribute your weight properly.

Marker50

Site Supporter
On the tommy pole video.
He say the bend in your knees should be slightly lower than level

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
It’s only really important when you’re fishing long pole , so you’re legs are taking all the weight of the pole , rather than you’re back/upper body ...If your sat on the feeder or pellet waggler, it doesn’t really matter

Simon R

Site Supporter
Don't buy a box with a fixed frame and the problem won't exist

They offer no advantages but a whole load of disadvantages - not least the cost of buying sufficient drawers or trays to jack the seat up to the correct height. It's like reinventing the wheel but making it square instead.

Simon

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Optimum is the wrong word to use more like average seat height. If there was a single seat height that suited everyone then car manufacturers wouldn't need to make height adjustable seats QED.

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
Don't buy a box with a fixed frame and the problem won't exist

They offer no advantages but a whole load of disadvantages - not least the cost of buying sufficient drawers or trays to jack the seat up to the correct height. It's like reinventing the wheel but making it square instead.

Simon
My Maver is a fixed frame and it’s perfect height for me , without adding/subtracting trays 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️I’d never buy a H-Frame seatbox

nejohn

Site Supporter
My Maver is a fixed frame and it’s perfect height for me , without adding/subtracting trays 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️I’d never buy a H-Frame seatbox
I am the exact opposite, I would never buy a fixed frame box as they are not versitile enough for me. I fish varied venues and not all have nice flat banks, sometimes the front legs are fully extended with the back legs nowhere near extended due to a sloping bank or other times I might just need to take one drawer unit on the frame. It's horses for courses you buy what suits you no style is better than any other ( well maybe we should not include the wicker basket in that statement)

chefster

Shedster!!
Site Supporter
I am the exact opposite, I would never buy a fixed frame box as they are not versitile enough for me. I fish varied venues and not all have nice flat banks, sometimes the front legs are fully extended with the back legs nowhere near extended due to a sloping bank or other times I might just need to take one drawer unit on the frame. It's horses for courses you buy what suits you no style is better than any other ( well maybe we should not include the wicker basket in that statement)
Yes but if you’ve got a footplate on what difference does having a fixed or non fixed frame have, if you are still trying to retain “optimal “ seating position ???you’re frame would still have to be relative to your footplate, only the legs are moving?? In my experience all moving frame boxes, seem to slip

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Mines at 42cm comprising of a 30mm tray, 2 x 30mm winder trays, and a 30mm side drawer unit, plus seat on a Rive

robert d

Allways trying to improve
Site Supporter
Was listening to Des Shipp live stream yesterday and they were talking about the new Preston Inception station box which is on a fixed frame and stated that Preston wanted to achieve the optimum height from top of the seat to the footplate without the need to add or remove costly stacker units. It is set at 45cm from footplate to top of the seat.... my current set up on my old series 5 box which I have just measured to keep my legs parallel is 49cm and I am 6ft 1in ish.....so 45cm seems a little low for me.......whats your set up?
No fixed seat can be optimum for everyone ,id be looking at adding a stacker or packer strips at the footplate frame and longer fixing 🔩. Or get another box 📦. The newer inception or other inception has adjustable seat height option

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've never understood the reason why manufacturers went away from the all in one unit style box in the first place. I know once the cassette type platforms came in the height of the seats became virtually fixed and to alter meant adding or subtracting a unit, and I suppose to some degree having a storage unit gives a few more options, but it also seems a loss of valuable storage space resulting in needing extra luggage to carry what once used to live under the seat.

robert d

Site Supporter
I've never understood the reason why manufacturers went away from the all in one unit style box in the first place. I know once the cassette type platforms came in the height of the seats became virtually fixed and to alter meant adding or subtracting a unit, and I suppose to some degree having a storage unit gives a few more options, but it also seems a loss of valuable storage space resulting in needing extra luggage to carry what once used to live under the seat.
I think everyone jumped on the same band wagon, less weight ,less material used and the added benefit of making more money for added units .

robert d

Site Supporter
I think everyone jumped on the same band wagon, less weight ,less material used and the added benefit of making more money for added units .
I have added units because i wanted everything i need in a match at hand ,i have an octbox its fully adjustable as far as seat position and how many trays you add or not , the octbox will not move or slip once fixed in position ,ive stood on the seat many times lol. What ever box you have needs to be functional and the seat at the correct height or be able to add a unit or some other means of adjustment.

robert d

Site Supporter
I have added units because i wanted everything i need in a match at hand ,i have an octbox its fully adjustable as far as seat position and how many trays you add or not , the octbox will not move or slip once fixed in position ,ive stood on the seat many times lol. What ever box you have needs to be functional and the seat at the correct height or be able to add a unit or some other means of adjustment.
Now to make mine look better , i have the hydro carbon film ready to go , primer and backing coat 😎. I hope i dont mess up lol. Pics will follow in the next few weeks . Sorry to the opp for adding this in his thread ,😇

Total

Site Supporter
Mines at 42cm comprising of a 30mm tray, 2 x 30mm winder trays, and a 30mm side drawer unit, plus seat on a Rive
Did you have to get/buy extra units to get the seat height right for you on your Rive box?

robert d

Site Supporter
I just love the look of some of them all in one older boxes ,theyre a work of art 😍, with the look of a piece of classic furniture