Opening Day on The Fens

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
I was a bit slack and didn’t get out into The Fens until about 0600 this morning.

I quickly realised that I should have bought some gardening tools as no swims had been cleared and it was impossible to get near the water in the first three stretches of drain I looked at due to the reed growth. I’ll definitely take some shears and a spade next time.

Finally settled into a nice little spot on The Old Nene at about 0830 and set up on the waggler with 4lb Maxima Ultragreen mainline and a 3lb fluro hook length to a size 12.
A9D9C1A9-1770-4651-B35F-B188E22F7D91.jpeg

Initially tried double sweetcorn with a few free offerings chucked in with each cast but was getting no interest. Changed to double punched bread on a hair with single corn on a size 10 hook and soon had a couple of bites that I missed. Then the float buried itself in such a way that even I couldn’t miss it and I was soon sliding the net under my first tench of the season at 4lb 4oz.
6C3790C7-0522-498D-B23A-F0BEFA4ED224.jpeg

I then had a couple of nice Rudd with one just over 1lb and the other 1lb 9oz. The stripe down the side of the fish is the shadow cast by my landing net frame.
894A12A4-180E-4C8E-B5E9-7189D68895D9.jpeg

To complete the smorgasbord I then had my net thoroughly slimed by a nice bream of 5lb 6oz.
6FBD1D08-4154-4817-BE3A-299E89DDE810.jpeg

Foolishly I’d forgotten to take my water bottle from the fridge in my rush to leave the house and at 1300 decided to knock it on the head as the temperature was creeping up into the high twenties.

Still, not a bad first session of the season and I’m on leave now until the end of the month so will definitely be getting out next week once the forecast storm front has passed through.

Graham.

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
That’s a lovely set of fish, and a lovely looking venue. Nice way to see the 16th in I’d say!
Yes, it was beautiful.

Actually, I forget to mention that a pair of kingfishers were fishing off the light coloured branch opposite me for most of the session and I was so engrossed in watching them that I missed a few good bites.

I tried to get a picture of them with my phone, but it would have been easier to herd eels! 😂

tincatim

Site Supporter
Yes, it was beautiful.

Actually, I forget to mention that a pair of kingfishers were fishing off the light coloured branch opposite me for most of the session and I was so engrossed in watching them that I missed a few good bites.

I tried to get a picture of them with my phone, but it would have been easier to herd eels! 😂
Sounds like a perfect days fishing in natural surroundings. That Rudd looks a beauty too, even with its faux perch stripe 😂

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Sounds like a great start to the season. All lovely fish but love the Rudd as they’re quite rare in my area.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
I was a bit slack and didn’t get out into The Fens until about 0600 this morning.

I quickly realised that I should have bought some gardening tools as no swims had been cleared and it was impossible to get near the water in the first three stretches of drain I looked at due to the reed growth. I’ll definitely take some shears and a spade next time.

Finally settled into a nice little spot on The Old Nene at about 0830 and set up on the waggler with 4lb Maxima Ultragreen mainline and a 3lb fluro hook length to a size 12.

Initially tried double sweetcorn with a few free offerings chucked in with each cast but was getting no interest. Changed to double punched bread on a hair with single corn on a size 10 hook and soon had a couple of bites that I missed. Then the float buried itself in such a way that even I couldn’t miss it and I was soon sliding the net under my first tench of the season at 4lb 4oz.

I then had a couple of nice Rudd with one just over 1lb and the other 1lb 9oz. The stripe down the side of the fish is the shadow cast by my landing net frame.

To complete the smorgasbord I then had my net thoroughly slimed by a nice bream of 5lb 6oz.

Foolishly I’d forgotten to take my water bottle from the fridge in my rush to leave the house and at 1300 decided to knock it on the head as the temperature was creeping up into the high twenties.

Still, not a bad first session of the season and I’m on leave now until the end of the month so will definitely be getting out next week once the forecast storm front has passed through.

Graham.
Is that at Benwick ?

Silver fan 82

Graham.
Cracking session that! Well done.

Pickard1

That looks like a successful day on a natural venue. I've never really fished the fens, its not too far away from me, but a big daunting expanse of water if you don't know what your doing! Do they flow?

Tenacious Sloth

Site Supporter
That looks like a successful day on a natural venue. I've never really fished the fens, its not too far away from me, but a big daunting expanse of water if you don't know what your doing! Do they flow?
Yes. You never know in advance how fast, or in which direction.