Open for comment advice?

Rick123

Site Supporter
Had my second session on the Trent today, much better as the wind was a little less. It was still down stream and across me, but I stuck with the stick float. I had caster and hemp plus some pellets from the commercial fishing. A 8x4 stick with strung out, all number 8s in the bottom third, size 18 hook. I was catching a few small dace chub and roach when I decided to try a pellet. So I took a handful of 4m and some small 6m as hook-baits. Soaked the smaller for about 30 seconds so they sank, then feed. Alternating between 4m and 6m on the hooks I had a painful few hours until dusk. I was bumping almost every fish, when one did stay on they were a much better stamp 6oz plus and one I lost at there net, over a 1lb. So is it simply the bumped fish were small do you think guys, and not getting the bait and hook in the mouth. Or do I need to go to a much smaller hook, wide gape maybe? I was on a 16s then 18s, but still losing roach. I've ordered tonight some B911 20s just to try. The pellets were banded, but maybe I should try a soft hooker pellet. Idea's thoughts any thing you guys think, I'm open!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
4mm dark coloured soft hooker pellets can work brilliantly with hemp. Usually I just fish hemp on the hook and as feed but sometimes you get some that’s not great for hooking and when that happens the pellets are a good stand in. Hemp or Pellet I use size 18 Drennan silverfish or b911 and generally bump very few fish if not hampered by the wind.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Can you suggest one soft pellet that's good and you use, sounds like a good plan mate, cheers. Rich.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sonubaits fishmeal were great and my favourite but don’t think you can get them in 4mm anymore so I’m rationing my last pot! Of the more readily available 4mms Ringers next generation are probably the best and what I’ll be buying from now on although sonubaits halibuts seem decent as well although I‘ve hardly use them compared to the other two. Drennan yum yums look quite good but I haven’t used them.

You do need dark coloured ones thats the main thing either black or very rich brown as the lighter coloured more typical style pellet never seem to work for me.

Rick123

Site Supporter
Was the band on a hair or straight on the hook? If the latter I would suggest trying a hair rigged band. ;)

Yes buddy. Thanks Silverfish, I've ordered some with a Aniseed flavour, and also some expanders. Never used expanders, but maybe i can get them just right by practice? Cheers guys.