Only a week to go to the glorious 16th

PearTree

Calder Exile
Site Supporter
I was meant to be back for it this year for the first time in 16 years but travel restrictions have put paid to that plan. Gutted. :cry:

The wife will be happy i suppose. It's also our 25th wedding anniversary :oops:

Last edited:

MartinWY

Site Supporter
If the weather stays like this it will be glorious. After listening to the advice from everyone on my other thread, I'm going to give river fishing a serious go this year. Will be my first time on a river in many decades. Looking forward to blanking.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
If the weather stays like this it will be glorious. After listening to the advice from everyone on my other thread, I'm going to give river fishing a serious go this year. Will be my first time on a river in many decades. Looking forward to blanking.
You almost certainly won't blank before about November earliest but the first couple weeks of the season are almost always hard so don't be disheartened if you struggle initially as at some point in early July you'll start catching well 👍🏻

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
You won’t blank. Plenty of bleak and minnows to be caught. You’ll be fed up of them after the first hour.🤣🤣

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
Getting very excited for it now. Has seemed the longest closed season ever this year.
Hasn’t it just. I just hope the levels aren’t going to be low. A couple of years ago we shut our stretch of the Trent due to lack of oxygen. I hope that never happens again.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You won’t blank. Plenty of bleak and minnows to be caught. You’ll be fed up of them after the first hour.🤣🤣
An hours generous more like 10 minutes! Bleak and minnows are the bane of the river angler 😔

Hasn’t it just. I just hope the levels aren’t going to be low. A couple of years ago we shut our stretch of the Trent due to lack of oxygen. I hope that never happens again.
I can’t imagine that will be a problem this year after the amount of rain we had in May. Luckily the Thames is fairly stable level wise, get the odd couple weeks when it’s goes a bit low but that’s about it.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Im afraid it has lost much of the magic for me, as locally it brings out a strange tribe of camo clad swim thieves that use the day to trundle up and down the river bank with rods and kit that only see the light of day once a year

often pestering those that may fish running water on a more regular basis, with interuptions asking about barbel, a rare and elusive fish on our local stream

its better to my mind to leave it on the 16th and go later on

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Last year on the 16th I went Knowle Sands with my dad. It was pouring down with rain, the banks were treacherous, and we blanked for the few hours we managed to last, would have slid into the river before long the way the banks were turning to mud. Not only that, we got there at 3.30am thinking we'd got there early. When we pulled into the car park it was already full minus one little space we managed to squeeze into. Saying that, I'd probably do it again this year, though my dad would take some encouraging. Here's hoping for a better start to the season than last year. Though I'll be in Charmouth Bream fishing and miss it this time, I can't wait to get back and will probably go on my local small river first.

bluemack

Site Supporter
One week to go before the rivers re-open - I can't wait :beer-toast1:
Are you saying you did,nt get out on the river in April/May with the foreigners and those that did,nt give a toss about the closed season?:(:rolleyes:

rd115

плак-плак
Site Supporter
I'm having me gallbladder out next Friday so an extra couple weeks wait for me 🤒

tincatim

Site Supporter
I’ll not be fishing on the 16th, I’m expecting the circus to arrive on the local river much as Mick described above. I’ve seen people fishing two rods pointing to the sky on bite alarms there before, in swims that I know are only 2 foot deep and 20m across. I’ll save my river rove until the Friday, gonna book it off and get up early and hopefully have a good stretch of it to myself.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
An hours generous more like 10 minutes! Bleak and minnows are the bane of the river angler 😔

I can’t imagine that will be a problem this year after the amount of rain we had in May. Luckily the Thames is fairly stable level wise, get the odd couple weeks when it’s goes a bit low but that’s about it.
It doesn’t take them long to start panicking up in Yorkshire mate. It was on the news only a couple of days ago that our water reserves in our reservoirs were running low. It’s not that we don’t get plenty of rain it’s that we don’t manage it properly. That and apparently we are the worst area in the country for burst and leaking underground water pipes. Yorkshire is always famous for all the wrong reasons. 🙄🤣🤣

JayD

Site Supporter
I miss the old excitement for the new season, for many years I never missed the 'open day'(sometimes the 1st, and later the 16th). For much of my teen years, and later, the first week of the season was spent camping on the banks of the Swale in search of the barbel. Move forward to today, and I haven't renewed my licence yet, it expired back in November, my club books one expired Dec 31, the other in April. I don't know if it's the trials of the last 12 months, my age, or my issues with the direction I see angling heading, or a mixture of all of them, but a part of me wants to be on the bank, but another part struggles to make the effort. I've two rods with a damaged guide on each. normally I would have had them sorted almost immediately I'd seen them. Now they stand in a corner of the kitchen, waiting for me to order the guides, and have been since last October. I might have a ride out and a walk along the banks of the Wharfe, and see if it stirs the 'juices'.

John.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
It doesn’t take them long to start panicking up in Yorkshire mate. It was on the news only a couple of days ago that our water reserves in our reservoirs were running low. It’s not that we don’t get plenty of rain it’s that we don’t manage it properly. That and apparently we are the worst area in the country for burst and leaking underground water pipes. Yorkshire is always famous for all the wrong reasons. 🙄🤣🤣
Ah yes leaks and burst pipes won’t help!

It was low here first couple weeks last season and then again for the first couple weeks of august but that was about it. Well save for like literally a couple days at the end of July and September. Not bad really for it to only be out of sorts for at most a month combined out of the first 5 months of the season. The last 4 months were almost constantly flooded mind you!

nejohn

Site Supporter
Realistically I won't get on a river till probably the 1st weekend in July, I am away with work next week and the week after so will not get out next weekend as I will have other things that need doing and probably won't get out the weekend after also. Hoping to get out this weekend to a stillwater and targetting July 2nd as my 1st day on running water.

Opening day doesn't hold the same magic as it used to as there is fishing to be had during the 'closed season' so there is no enforced break. When there was a closed season living in Durham we could get 2 opening days as 30 mins down the road would take us into Yorkshire so we could fish from June 1st for the 'stolen fortnight' before having a proper opening day on the 16th