Onlookers while fishing a match.

RMNDIL

Well it's called the weirs mill stream donnington in the club book although I guess technically it has a sluice rather than a weir. Comes off the Thames at the bend upstream of donnington bridge then runs under the bridge itself to round the back of iffley meadows before joining Hincksey stream a short distance before that rejoins the Thames.
That's the start of the Iffley backwater and where it comes off the Thames at those small arched bridges. It starts at Long Bridges open air bathing place (you can't see it now but it's all behind the hedges) then runs around the back of the field, splits briefly just above Donnington Bridge road/Weirs Lane where the big black pipes are and there is a very small weir there at back of gardens. Then both of these run under Donnington road (there are 2 bridges on this road) and join up at Weirs Lane/Canning Crescent (more back gardens). Then it runs around the back of the old hospital and under the southern by-pass (just above the main roundabout at Red Bridge park & ride area and just close to where the stream joins) and finally joins the main Thames again further down (having gone behind Kennington lakes) at the big black arched railway bridge at Kennington (which we stupidly used to jump off in the summer !).

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Meadow Lane one yes.
Thanks, only been down here 18 months and still looking at fishing areas, will take a walk along the river next week, Can park at scout hut at the moment,
Fished the canal, and Sandford stretch of Thames and member of Newlands,

RMNDIL

The island is Astons Eyot. Rose Hill had a fishing club decades ago and had the fishing rights to it (so Thames & Cherwell) for many years.

RMNDIL

Thanks, only been down here 18 months and still looking at fishing areas, will take a walk along the river next week, Can park at scout hut at the moment,
Fished the canal, and Sandford stretch of Thames and member of Newlands,
Parking & access is the problem.

Donnington is stuffed with bream & roach (odd tench, odd carp, odd chub) but 1,000,000 other people all out at the same time !! Folly upstream can also be a pain but good fishing if you can put up with it all with the early morning Hookers and various addicts. Good chub & perch at Osney and at The Watermans. Big chub in the Channel. The other way Iffley has a good head of fish but lots of moored boats so not many swims now. The Spinney at Kennington is often overlooked and the main part of Kennington means parking somewhere in Kennington. Then you have Kennington's old water down to Sandford lock (Fiddlers Elbow as well). Sandford car park (It'll be flooded now though) gets you opposite LIttlemore's water and on down through AOAA water to Radley.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's the start of the Iffley backwater and where it comes off the Thames at those small arched bridges. It starts at Long Bridges open air bathing place (you can't see it now but it's all behind the hedges) then runs around the back of the field, splits briefly just above Donnington Bridge road/Weirs Lane where the big black pipes are and there is a very small weir there at back of gardens. Then both of these run under Donnington road (there are 2 bridges on this road) and join up at Weirs Lane/Canning Crescent (more back gardens). Then it runs around the back of the old hospital and under the southern by-pass (just above the main roundabout at Red Bridge park & ride area and just close to where the stream joins) and finally joins the main Thames again further down (having gone behind Kennington lakes) at the big black arched railway bridge at Kennington (which we stupidly used to jump off in the summer !).
Have you fished it? I haven't yet as its only been available to me for a couple seasons and I don't have much call for it in the summer with other venues available and it goes through even quicker than the main river in the winter but could imagine it's decent at when reasonable levels. Bit more private than donnington itself at least.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
Parking & access is the problem.

Donnington is stuffed with bream & roach (odd tench, odd carp, odd chub) but 1,000,000 other people all out at the same time !! Folly upstream can also be a pain but good fishing if you can put up with it all with the early morning Hookers and various addicts. Good chub & perch at Osney and at The Watermans. Big chub in the Channel. The other way Iffley has a good head of fish but lots of moored boats so not many swims now. The Spinney at Kennington is often overlooked and the main part of Kennington means parking somewhere in Kennington. Then you have Kennington's old water down to Sandford lock (Fiddlers Elbow as well). Sandford car park (It'll be flooded now though) gets you opposite LIttlemore's water and on down through AOAA water to Radley.
When I fish Sandford I park on Kings Arms car park and walk over the lock.
My partner has been down here 30 odd years, I will get her to give me a guided tour of the river stretches.
Luckily I am retired so I can fish midweek if I wish to, less anglers on the waters,

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
. The Spinney at Kennington is often overlooked and the main part of Kennington means parking somewhere in Kennington.
Have you fished the Kennington stretch behind the tandem pub over the rail line? Think it's know as rose island. It's another that's only been available to me for a couple seasons and have so far been put off by the slightly awkward parking going to give it a go at some point as its a stunning looking bit of water. Always a couple anglers down there when I've walked it and there's quite a few swims worn in so I assume it's decent.

RMNDIL

Have you fished it? I haven't yet as its only been available to me for a couple seasons and I don't have much call for it in the summer with other venues available and it goes through even quicker than the main river in the winter but could imagine it's decent at when reasonable levels. Bit more private than donnington itself at least.
Many, many times over the years. The backwater 'south' bank (so roadside where the horses ae now) was Oxford City Supporters club water (the football club) and North bank ODAA. Hardly anyone ever fished the ODAA side. I don't think you can fish the south bank now. One of my all time favourite chub swims is right next to the by-pass bridge !!

RMNDIL

Have you fished the Kennington stretch behind the tandem pub over the rail line? Think it's know as rose island. It's another that's only been available to me for a couple seasons and have so far been put off by the slightly awkward parking going to give it a go at some point as its a stunning looking bit of water. Always a couple anglers down there when I've walked it and there's quite a few swims worn in so I assume it's decent.
Many times. Park at the community centre car park opposite The Tandem (not sure if we should but everyone I know does) then walk over the road to the pub and up & over the railway bridge. Rose Island is where the bream spawn above & behind it. Used to be a big gravel bar and rushed long since gone. Big chub as well. Big carp. Don't fish directly in front of the house though. It's not allowed if you want to keep the fishing rights.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
When I fish Sandford I park on Kings Arms car park and walk over the lock.
My partner has been down here 30 odd years, I will get her to give me a guided tour of the river stretches.
Luckily I am retired so I can fish midweek if I wish to, less anglers on the waters,
The better fishing that side is the meadows where the matches are, it's just a bit of a trek. Or park the other side and fish the old channel/weir stream now there's more of it on our book with the RDAA affiliation. Both have got far more consistent and peaceful fishing than the lockcut.

Many, many times over the years. The backwater 'south' bank (so roadside where the horses ae now) was Oxford City Supporters club water (the football club) and North bank ODAA. Hardly anyone ever fished the ODAA side. I don't think you can fish the south bank now. One of my all time favourite chub swims is right next to the by-pass bridge !!
Interesting stuff. I've got access to the right hand bank above donnington bridge I believe. Might give it a go one day.

Many times. Park at the community centre car park opposite The Tandem (not sure if we should but everyone I know does) then walk over the road to the pub and up & over the railway bridge. Rose Island is where the bream spawn above & behind it. Used to be a big gravel bar and rushed long since gone. Big chub as well. Big carp. Don't fish directly in front of the house though. It's not allowed if you want to keep the fishing rights.
Yep that's the one. Easy walk with no tackle but looks a bit more challenging with tackle 😅

Definitely going to have a go at it as looks so nice. Had suspected it was breamy from how I'd seen others set up to fish it and does looking chubby in places as well. Some quite roachy looking bits also.

Davethefish

Site Supporter
I've always found that overt masturbation keeps the 'Punishers' out my peg , but it's a personal trait and I'm not suggesting that it should be everybodys go to method !