Onlookers while fishing a match.

R0B

Talk about bailiffs skylining. When I lived Dan Sowf I was a member of a popular St. Albans club that had a section of the upper Lea. A very prolific tiny river here with loads of chub,barbel and carp. (Even more popular nowadays I understand).

The old boy was so good a bailiff he was too blooming good.
One would creep up to the edge and get down below the skyline and start trotting a float down.

Despite having checked your ticket just about 3 or 4 times a week for ages he would insist on walking along the edge, fully skylining in his white mack to see it again.

I eventually got round it by walking into the centre of the field when I saw him waving my card. He would have to divert away from the edge to intercept me. He never caught on as to why.

This rings a bell, a lot of the old school bailiffs were like this, they'd literally get into the water just to show you their ID card

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Was always Ken, the old chap who ran my Junior Club who would be along with advice, "try fishing here, so and so has had some, keep the bait going in" and other good advice when I fished matches and always much welcome with the sound of a cigarette hitting the water in your peg.

Skylining I can understand but it does make me laugh some of the things people say to me, "I can see the clouds of mud in the water from all the fish feeding where your fishing" etc is one that has put a smile on my face.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Did have some German lady lay down for a nap behind my peg once which did make for a rather disconcerting half hour or so. Wasn't half as distracting though as the time a girl stripped down to her thong on the far bank then swam through my swim and said hello as she went!

Spadger123

Lingmere peg 3 is a nightmare on our over 55s open on a Wednesday.
The fishery owner, Steve Openshaw who is one of the best shallow anglers in the country as well as a stunning commie angler full stop will come and see how its fishing.
Peg 3 is right by the no entry rope, he loves winding the lads on that peg up.
Only this Wednesday he delighted in telling me how rubbish I was at fishing (compared to him he's not wrong) all in good fun though and we have some great banter on that peg.

Silver fan 82

Did have some German lady lay down for a nap behind my peg once which did make for a rather disconcerting half hour or so. Wasn't half as distracting though as the time a girl stripped down to her thong on the far bank then swam through my swim and said hello as she went!
Why does this kind of stuff never happen to me?! Lol!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Why does this kind of stuff never happen to me?! Lol!
If you are referring to the lady that stripped (rather than the sleepy German) it certainly was rather bizarre! Bikini clad women have been fairly common occurrences in my fishing but a topless one was not something I ever expected to encounter 😅

matt

Site Supporter
If you are referring to the lady that stripped (rather than the sleepy German) it certainly was rather bizarre! Bikini clad women have been fairly common occurrences in my fishing but a topless one was not something I ever expected to encounter 😅
Sounds like I need to go fishing on the Thames more often! :ROFLMAO:

Ruddles #

Dont make eye contact and put some earphones in dont have them on just in to make people think you cant hear them. Nowt worse than some one yapp yapp bloody yapp when you trying to get ya head down n concentrate

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like I need to go fishing on the Thames more often! :ROFLMAO:
It certainly can be quite eventful! Tbh it's part of the attraction of river fishing for me. Whilst swimmers and boaters are mostly annoying the nice swimmers in bikinis, ladies university rowing teams, nerdy blokes in daft little sailing dinghies capsizing themselves, tourists running aground rented barges etc are all quite entertaining!

matt

Site Supporter
It certainly can be quite eventful! Tbh it's part of the attraction of river fishing for me. Whilst swimmers and boaters are mostly annoying the nice swimmers in bikinis, ladies university rowing teams, nerdy blokes in daft little sailing dinghies capsizing themselves, tourists running aground rented barges etc are all quite entertaining!
Sounds like most of my attempts at lure fishing for Bass from the shingle beaches in the Solent with the exception of nice ladies in bikini’s! :ROFLMAO:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Sounds like most of my attempts at lure fishing for Bass from the shingle beaches in the Solent with the exception of nice ladies in bikini’s! :ROFLMAO:
😂 yeah you dont see many "nice" ladies in bikinis on the beaches of gosport, Lee on Solent etc! I have infact seen a topless women on gosport beach but I wish I hadnt as she was almost kicking them along the beach like dribbling footballs 😭 Seen worse kayak fishing off studland though 😅

matt

Site Supporter
😂 yeah you dont see many "nice" ladies in bikinis on the beaches of gosport, Lee on Solent etc! I have infact seen a topless women on gosport beach but I wish I hadnt as she was almost kicking them along the beach like dribbling footballs 😭 Seen worse kayak fishing off studland though 😅
I had even worse when fishing at Eastney earlier in the year and working my way back along the blocks towards Southsea along the old fort, looked behind me and there were 2 old fat blokes stark naked standing about 10 metres behind me!

Didn’t know whether to laugh or be slightly scared!😂

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I had even worse when fishing at Eastney earlier in the year and working my way back along the blocks towards Southsea along the old fort, looked behind me and there were 2 old fat blokes stark naked standing about 10 metres behind me!

Didn’t know whether to laugh or be slightly scared!😂
😂 blimey there's some odd people about isn't there! I'm all for people being comfortable in their bodies but some people have bodies that most of the rest of people would be more comfortable not seeing 😬

John Step

Site Supporter
Swimmers!! I haven't been there for a week or two but up until then at dusk a car would pull up on the Witham and a bloke or two and a lovely young lady or three would change into cossies and take a running dive into the drink.
We are talking pike fishing time on a cold winters eve here.
No shoes on. Goodness knows how many broken bottles and lost trebles have found there way in over the decades.

One rather disconcerting thing happened some years ago at Tiverton on the canal by the restaurant barge.
I was on holiday and grabbed an hour or two fishing near the barge.
Two very young girls about 4 years came and sat next to me and got out their toy plastic cups and plates and had a pretend play picnic.
I think they came from some nearby houses.
We are talking about so close they were sitting in my swim.

With all the news about kids being in danger I couldn't fathom why they were allowed out like that without their parents.
I didn,t know whether to pack up or move . Luckily the game was short lived and they went home.
As a grandad and father it made me shudder.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Swimmers!! I haven't been there for a week or two but up until then at dusk a car would pull up on the Witham and a bloke or two and a lovely young lady or three would change into cossies and take a running dive into the drink.
We are talking pike fishing time on a cold winters eve here.
No shoes on. Goodness knows how many broken bottles and lost trebles have found there way in over the decades.

One rather disconcerting thing happened some years ago at Tiverton on the canal by the restaurant barge.
I was on holiday and grabbed an hour or two fishing near the barge.
Two very young girls about 4 years came and sat next to me and got out their toy plastic cups and plates and had a pretend play picnic.
I think they came from some nearby houses.
We are talking about so close they were sitting in my swim.

With all the news about kids being in danger I couldn't fathom why they were allowed out like that without their parents.
I didn,t know whether to pack up or move . Luckily the game was short lived and they went home.
As a grandad and father it made me shudder.
Is mad at times isn’t it, you just sit there in disbelief.

We get all sorts ranging from the professional style ones in wetsuits to the holiday style ones in their cossies. The former are alright tbf as they just swim past and are gone (although the loonies do it all year!) but the latter can be a right pain in the summer as they like to just splash around much closer to you than any decent person (pun unintended) would consider polite. I do try to pick swims where swimmers can’t physically get close enough to cause problems but like you say some of them manage to still do so! I like to mutter loudly that the river is 215 miles long so there’s no need to be on top of each other which moves some but not many lol

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Just speaking to my dad about why he doesn't fancy pleasure fishing my Tench venue with me, it's a busy park estate lake and he's right when he says every time you catch a fish you get a crowd of onlookers gathered round. I don't mind and happy to show my fish to people, but he doesn't like the idea.

Marker50

Site Supporter
Sounds like that bob james one on passion for angling.
Thought it looked strange

R0B

I suppose we should also consider being reasonably polite if these onlookers are non anglers who are interested in fishing or just to avoid giving ourselves a bad name. The OP is about a match and that I think will have different implications than a pleasure session, depending on the angler's concentration requirements.
When pleasure fishing I am happy to engage with most people if they have a genuine interest. If however they start telling me where to fish because "there's some big carp down there" when I am lure fishing for Perch, then I start to switch off. It remains astonishing how many people think that you are going to eat what you catch, from a muddy canal.

I don't do static coarse fishing at venues where there's lots of public accessing the bank, my goal is nature and solitude first and foremost, the technical stuff and the catch comes lower down the scale.