Onlookers while fishing a match.

steve king

The One and Only
Site Supporter
I don't get bothered much so much by venue expert bank walkers and if i do i just keep it short with answering them yes, no. don't know and never give them eye contact that usually does the trick and they get the message and move on but if they persist and still carry on giving ''advice'' i just tell politley yet firmly to F*ck Off and i'll fish the peg how i want to fish it and they move on to the next peg and give there advice to the next one.

R0B

Decent curry the night before and proper coffee in the morning should give you enough fuel to blow them away with a few air biscuits. It'll keep your seat box warm into the bargain.

Line Clip

One of the lads in our club absolutely hates bank walkers , of any kind even the lads who fish our matches know not to go near him,whilst he is fishing the match.
To protect his margins from the public, he will place bank sticks and rope of the area.
He is so in the zone once that (ALL IN IS SHOUTED) after the match he is totally different and is usually the last angler to leave the car park due to talking to everyone about the match .

160642fishing

Site Supporter
If there's no bankside vegetation I lay my luggage along the bank on one side and and my top kit roost on the other that usually deters skyliners but the worst offenders to me are fellow club members who very quickly set up a couple of top kits and then come wandering up to stand on your margin knowing that the occasional bonus fish can be caught early in the edge,

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
It doesn't just happen on matches... I was fishing a margin on a club water... stalking a big carp... the water was the colour of mud and there were tails waving over my bait and a winkle walks right up to the waters edge and bellows "blimey mate you wanna fish darn ere" all the fish bow waved out of the swim... I only said two words very loudly... and he did

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’m always polite,you can learn a hell of a lot just listening to bank walkers. It takes a couple of minutes to know wether they know what they’re talking about. If they sound like they only catch when they fish alone I tend to switch off and they soon get the message😉. They can often tell you what’s being caught where,how and what with though.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
When I was on the Wharfe a few weeks back a bloke stood behind me on the top of the banking with the sun behind him skylining the water and said "it's very clear isn't it" - Doh !

I pretended not to hear him so he didn't stop long ;)

rudd

Site Supporter
It doesn't just happen on matches... I was fishing a margin on a club water... stalking a big carp... the water was the colour of mud and there were tails waving over my bait and a winkle walks right up to the waters edge and bellows "blimey mate you wanna fish darn ere" all the fish bow waved out of the swim... I only said two words very loudly... and he did
Happened to me when an old boy lost his float and it drifted into my corner peg where it had taken some time to get them taking floaters😠

Nunachuk

Nunachuk
Site Supporter
I would initially tell him thatI need quiet in order to concentrate and then if he didn't get the hint, I would escalate my tone and words, ( although I don't need to go that far), as after watching me for a couple of minutes, they all seem to remember the funniest joke ever and walk away, with tears rolling down their cheeks laughing!

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
It must be the era we are from mate, you don't hear the term skylining very often now. It used to be the kiss of death on the Trent. I've lost count of the times I have heard someone shout "gerroff me effin sky".🤐
Me and you getting old Dave ? 🙄. Yep, exactly. Proper kiss of death on the Trent while stick float fishing. I loved the bailiff at Higgin but, he insisted on standing on my skyline. Him throwing a stick and his Labrador bounding about like a nutcase. 🙄. And then he’d say .... I can see you’re struggling so, I’ll get off. 😡😡😡

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
We had an old chap (sadly gone now) he was fishing Plucks Gutter on the Stour... I was in the next peg and so.e bloke stared telling him he was doing it all wrong... so he called the lad over and offered him his rod and said "crack on mate" he soon buggered off

John Step

Site Supporter
Talk about bailiffs skylining. When I lived Dan Sowf I was a member of a popular St. Albans club that had a section of the upper Lea. A very prolific tiny river here with loads of chub,barbel and carp. (Even more popular nowadays I understand).

The old boy was so good a bailiff he was too blooming good.
One would creep up to the edge and get down below the skyline and start trotting a float down.

Despite having checked your ticket just about 3 or 4 times a week for ages he would insist on walking along the edge, fully skylining in his white mack to see it again.

I eventually got round it by walking into the centre of the field when I saw him waving my card. He would have to divert away from the edge to intercept me. He never caught on as to why.

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Both Decoy and Pidley do not allow bank walkers during matches. However, on occasion I have told them that I have a mate coming down, but that would only happen during a club match - never during an Open.