Onlookers while fishing a match.

Line Clip

How do you get on with, bank walkers, or advice from pleasure fishing, experts,when fishing a match
One Match that comes to mind was this summer, the Club had booked twenty pegs on a local commercial.
Two hours into the match and things were going really well , when along comes our expert wearing a yellow day-glow
jacket, and starts telling me how wrong I am doing things, and how only the other day he had caught a net full of double figure carp
and a perch of 6lbs. ( yeh right they do not exist on this water )
I just new from that point on, I should not have got into conversation with this bloke, and just been a bit more anti social, because forty minuets
later he was still telling me how good he was , and telling me I should be doing this that and the other.
He might be very good who knows,but the feeling to me was, he just wanted to tell me these massively exaggerated stories, of huge bags of fish,
that he caught regularly, you know the angler that never has a dry net.
As a hint for him to move on, I mentioned covid and how we must keep our distance , so he then decides to move and stand over my brilliant
margin line waving is arms and shouting even louder telling me how the two match anglers over on the point are fishing it all wrong too.
When this chap eventually moves on from me he ends up two pegs away, telling that angler the same stories he had told me.
I did end up second in the match that day (even though as far as he was concerned I was fishing it all wrong)
Maybe if I had listen to his advice I could have won the match, who knows.
I know that there are some lads in our club, who would have in there own way, politely told him to get lost, for the want of a better word .
Match fishing on canals can be a nightmare, were we have to give a bit, our patience can be stretched to the limit at times.:mad:

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had one the other week in our canal match. My brolly had turned inside out & broken. I was soaked, freezing & it was fishing bloody hard. Coupled with that, my finger was all bandaged so I was in a bad mood anyway. If he stopped for a chat once, he stopped about 6 times, just walking up & down the length. I just ignored him after the first couple of visits.

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Just need to be polite and explain that you want a peaceful days fishing and are not interested in talking.
Then just blank them out.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I don’t particularly mind as long as they don’t skyline my peg. More times than not I end up helping the angler who’s come over for a natter. I do occasionally get the village idiot though. 🤪🤪

Mr Bite

Missed a bite ???
Site Supporter
Our club lakes are closed off to bank walkers of all discription inc club members and general public. On away days as a general rule if anyone comes walking around the lakes the first person thats spots them will tell them that they can't walk around as there's a match on.

Last edited:

Jonathan Sutcliffe-Bland

Site Supporter
How do you get on with, bank walkers, or advice from pleasure fishing, experts,when fishing a match
One Match that comes to mind was this summer, the Club had booked twenty pegs on a local commercial.
Two hours into the match and things were going really well , when along comes our expert wearing a yellow day-glow
jacket, and starts telling me how wrong I am doing things, and how only the other day he had caught a net full of double figure carp
I just new from that point on, I should not have got into conversation with this bloke, and just been a bit more anti social, because forty minuets
later he was still telling me how good he was , and telling me I should be doing this that and the other.
He might be very good who knows,but the feeling to me was, he just wanted to tell me these massively exaggerated stories, of huge bags of fish,
As a hint for him to move on, I mentioned covid and how we must keep our distance , so he then decides to move and stand over my brilliant
margin line waving is arms and shouting even louder telling me how the two match anglers over on the point are fishing it all wrong too.
When this chap eventually moves on from me he ends up two pegs away, telling that angler the same stories he had told me.
I did end up second in the match that day (even though as far as he was concerned I was fishing it all wrong)
I know that there are some lads in our club, who would have in there own way, politely told him to get lost, for the want of a better word .
Match fishing on canals can be a nightmare, were we have to give a bit, our patience can be stretched to the limit at times.:mad:
The winner had probably sent him over 🤣

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
I was invited to fish a local club match on their own water. I had never fished it before and had no information on the stock or rules/methods but at the draw I was told that pellets were banned and it was predominately a slivers water and maggot and caster were the go to baits in the height of summer. . The only bait I had were an assortment of pellets, a can of sweet corn and 1/2 a bag of soggy defrosted hemp. :oops: The club Chairman plonked himself down behind me on a chair, proclaiming for all to hear that he was expecting a master class from me. Needless to say I completely F'd up.:whistle::whistle:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
I can imagine that is properly annoying in a match as it’s bad enough when you get them pleasure fishing. I haven’t come across many complete wallies coarse fishing in fact most do have some interesting stuff to say so I don’t mind chatting for a few minutes. When like more than a quarter of an hour has passed it does start to get a little tedious but as long as it’s interesting I just put up with it.

Did have this like 15 year old Canadian lad sat behind me and a couple mates for what seemed like forever when fishing a dock in Florida a few years ago. He spent the whole time trying to coach us but I’m not sure him telling us to do what he does to catch Muskie in the Great Lakes a couple thousand miles north was of any great help when we were just catching a few snappers over a beer!

That was nothing like as bad as getting stuck with a complete twonk of a know it all who knows nothing on charter trips though as you’ve got them for hours. I’ll normally happily accept help on charter trips as I’m not terribly competent at such fishing but I don’t really want help from someone that’s clearly even less competent than me but thinks he’s Dave Lewis or Mike Thrussell or someone of the like.

Silver fan 82

If he was that good why was he not fishing himself? I'm sure he would have torn the place apart 😉

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I don’t particularly mind as long as they don’t skyline my peg. More times than not I end up helping the angler who’s come over for a natter. I do occasionally get the village idiot though. 🤪🤪
It must be the era we are from mate, you don't hear the term skylining very often now. It used to be the kiss of death on the Trent. I've lost count of the times I have heard someone shout "gerroff me effin sky".🤐

John Step

Site Supporter
The last few years my hearing has started going. Not enough to be called deaf but just enough to need a hearing aid . (EH What?)
It has taught me a good ruse to exaggerate the f*8ked up hearing. I just make a point of looking intently at their face and pretending to try to lip read then saying a bit louder than is necessary. " Sorry mate, me hearing aid has packed up, I cant hear a bloody word you are saying."
Then I turn away and ignore them and they go away................Most times!