Online Poker

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan88

I've played a bit of poker here and there, mainly when I was at college on my lunch break, every now and then at work on my lunch break, and I've been to a few mates houses for a poker session. I usually play hold em and Im not too bad at it, no when to fold when to bet etc. So I've been thinking about starting playing online a bit. Not fora lot of cash, just maybe start with 20.

Anyway I've a few questions for anyone who plays online.

Firstly, which sites would you recommend, I don't want a site were people don't know how to play, but at the same time I don't want to be with a bunch of pros.

Secondly, it seems all the sites, including the British ones, deal in dollars. Is this right?

Finally, I don't understand these bonuses for signing to their site. I've been looking at this site about online poker http://www.pokersoft.co.uk/sites/betfairpoker.php , and some of the sites have $600 bonuses. Surely they aren't gonna give you $600, otherwise I'll be joining them all and earning about $5000 !!![:D]

crowder

I play for fun on PKR its great game, 36 graphics, tournies and single games. google it!

mouse77

I reckon we should have a site tournament..

I wouldn't know where to start...does anyone?

Enigma

Armchair Carper
if you're gonna chuck your hard up cash up the wall you may as well give it to me. I get get some more cammo gear!!!!

simon d

I play for real on will hill,you can play in dollars or pounds and there is a multitude of tables,cash tables with 3/6p blinds upto lots of wonga,and tournys starting at 2 or sit and goes from 1-something for everyones budget.

The Raven

I have played online for money on a number of sites. Full Tilt - excellent graphics. Poker Stars - good small limits for starting players to name just two. The standard thinking is you should bankroll 50 buy-ins to start with. So, depending on what limit you want to play it gives you an idea about how much to invest. I wouldn't bother with the bonues, you need a lot of raked hands to qualify. Look for the range of games rather than gimmicks. They all do dollars apart from a couple of UK only ones. I would go with Poker Stars as their cash out policy is the best. Full Tilt is a bit dodgy. I don't play for real money any more because I don't have the time or circumstances to allow a decent bankroll, plus I think online poker is dodgy anyway (avoid VC and Doyle's Room like the plague). I like face to face live play.

Good cards and tight lines!

jimmy_uk

serial blanker
I have played quite a few online poker sites and by far i think the best one is Poker Stars, its nice and quick which makes for better game play...dont play online for real money anymore after holding a straight flush with quite alot of money in the pot only to find my ****e internet connection decided to disconnect me, resulting in me being timed out of the hand...thanks alot Pipex Homecall!!!! [:(!]

Benji

Account Locked
Originally posted by Enigma

if you're gonna chuck your hard up cash up the wall you may as well give it to me. I get get some more cammo gear!!!!

Sounds good to me, at least we will be half way there, not be able to see you, now all we need is a camo gag and we wont be able to hear you either [:p][:D]

dan88

Well I joined Poker Stars yesterday, put 20 (I think that gave me about $41) in at the start, just playing 5c 10c limit hold em. Am now on $47 lol. Slowly but surely building it up. Will move up to 25c 50c blinds soon.

KenM

I used to be an avid fan of VC poker, and played quite a number of big money games and have won/lost more than my fair share over the years. $50 - $250 Heads up was my thing at one time. (VC poker used to have the best cash out type policy at the time)

Following a number of really nasty losses (I'm sure that there are a number of "gangs" of people working together on there), I gave up playing on there and have tried a number of other sites (Poker Stars is as good as if not a little better than most of the rest). I also regularly have a poker night with the guys in work and I really enjoy it.

DAN88, be a little carefull that early success on low buy in/blind tables, doesn't quickly turn into a go at a couple of the more pricier tables (it is very easy to become addicted).

It is really easy to make money on the low value tables, quite often you can just do nothing to make it into the last 3 and thats where the money starts, Unfortunately, for the amount of hours that you would need to make a living out of this, it isn't worth the effort. When you start playing the tables aroung the $10 - $20 sort of limit, then you start bumping into those that typically understand what is going on and are taking it a bit more serious. If you start taking money at these levels on a regular basis, then consider stepping it up, but I would really advise not going above this sort of limit in at least the first 3-6months.

A little story for you:-
I lost on the final table of an online tournament a couple of years back in a heads up situation (The prize was $10k and a seat on a televised game), The first and only time in my life I have seen a royal flush on a table. I was on 3Q's after the flop and I went all in because there was no way on earth that he had me beat the way he'd played his cards but fookme didn't he just.....

Status
Not open for further replies.