One of those jobs that...AGGHHH

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Yesterday afternoon, the starter for the striplight went. No problem, there's a spare in my box of bits. I removed the duff one and placing the new starter twixt finger and thumb, lined it up and...oh heck, it flipped and went halfway into the hole. Managed to fiddle about with it and retrieved said object...try again. This time it flipped and went about 4 or 5 inch down the fitting. Now I have to go out in the pouring rain just for another starter. Don't some little jobs make you want to scream.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
is it a sealed unit?

I used to unclip the cover and fit the starters just incase i did your trick :)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
is it a sealed unit?

I used to unclip the cover and fit the starters just incase i did your trick :)

No way of getting to the inside of the casing as far as I can see mate.. So that's one starter gone. Having said that, I put another one in without much hassle.

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
No way of getting to the inside of the casing as far as I can see mate.. So that's one starter gone. Having said that, I put another one in without much hassle.
I bet if that hole had hair around it you'd have got it in first time. ? ???

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Had exactly the same trouble with the one in our garage last week. I feel your pain.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
Had exactly the same trouble with the one in our garage last week. I feel your pain.

But did you have to walk quarter of a mile to the bus stop in the pouring rain, travel 2 miles to next village just to spend 95p on a replacement? :(

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter

Take the tube out and see if the tube mount can be pushed away from the end of the casing, most modern ones are like that, you push the end away and then slide the cover off.... if you think about it mate there must be a way to get the cover off because they ahve to moutn them somehow ;)

Of course you could always modernise and forget about the ancient starter system and upgrade to led ...just a word of caution though, if you buy one make sure you have sun tan lotion on when you switch it on cos they'll give you sunburn they're that bloody bright!

I've replaced the tubes in my kitchen with a single light, this one, took me 30 minutes to do the job and now it's brighter than it ever was so i replaced the toilet, hall, landing and bathroom lights with them as well!

(just noticed they're also on sale at the moment, i paid £13 each for mine!)

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Trogg

Removing the actual cover isn't a problem, and the tube comes out quite easily, but everything else is sealed except for the starter and 3 screws that hold it to the ceiling (taking the tube out revealed these). I was going to change it to an LED strip but you know how it is, you get conflicting stories of this that and other happening so I didn't bother. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and go for it.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
I was going to change it to an LED strip but you know how it is, you get conflicting stories of this that and other happening so I didn't bother. Maybe it's time to bite the bullet and go for it.

Best thing i ever did mate, when i worked out the cost of replacing a tube, replacing starters (bloody things) and running costs etc it was a no brainer for me i had to fit the LED ones.

stikflote

Site Supporter
I went to Tool Station for a strip light for my shed, .fellow said have you tried one these, the tube is built in with 1000 hrs of use if it breaks you just change lot again, i bought two and sheds lit up like daylight no messing about chokes or tube ,