one long workout or 3 shorter ones?

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Question for you fitness buffs out there, so i used to do loads of weights back in teh day at school and college and i was fit and went to the gym with the GF for a few years after that but when we split up i gave it all up. Im 6ft 1 and 22 stone now and now my back is fixed i want to lose weight for my upcoming wedding but also to lose the weight for good.

Am dieting, walk two times a day for around 20 mins each and i do my resistance bands 3 times a day with each being 20min as well as stretches in the morning and before i go to bed (as a minimum though i try and do them 6 times a day).

So my question is 3 x 20min sessions better than one 60 min session? i have read conflicting info online but also if i try and do a 60 min session now i would run out of steam after the first 20 mins anyway so wouldnt get the full benefit, in 20 mins i do 8 exercises with the bands with 2 sets of 8 reps for each exercise using the strongest bands i can so the last few reps are really hard lol

Any advise would be helpful, i live in a 1st floor flat so got to keep noise down for my neighbours below and i cannot run as i shattered my knee around 8 years ago and the impact running has ruins it

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Cycling will help with aerobics and be gentler on your knee... as a 62 year old I find 3x20min workouts better as prolonged activity increases the risk of injury... I have problems with back knees ankles and shoulders so I keep to 3 or 4 light workouts better for me... once covid has died down I'd get to a local swimming pool... I'm not a great swimmer but I enjoy it and if there is an aquafit class nearby, definitely get on that... I did aquafit twice a week and its great for aerobic and toning work

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
cycling is out as no where to store the bike and leaving UK and cant take it with me

Will swim when abroad lol

Thanks for the response

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I would go for the 3 x 20 mins with having the knee injury. I feel that a 60 minute workout might just aggrevate it.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
I have an indoor bike... look on ebay for a cheap un and leave it behind or flog it before you leave

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
thanks Arry but had a indoor bike before and i have no where to put or use it, im happy with my exercising now, its just is 3x 20 mins better than 1x 60 min

redkev

Hi Ginge.
I've done weight training for a number of years (I'm 60 now) and whilst I'm no Arnold Swartzenegger (built more like a whippet now!), the one thing I've learned which is the most important is that You can't out train a bad diet!
I've done powerlifting, HIIT, 3 day splits etc. but never seemed to shift the bodyfat. That is until I went on the Ketogenic diet (see the Ketogenic Lifestyle thread) in the Clubhouse. It really works (provided you keep track of the calories).
So what I'm really saying is do whatever exercises you can manage to start with and you will gradually build up your stamina and do them for longer periods. You will find whatever suits you.
The internet is a good resource for different exercises but beware of the "Youtube experts" who will tell you that their method will guarantee stuff. They have found what works for them (and usually with a little chemical help)! You are right that stuff online can be conflicting - I've seen plenty of "experts" spouting that Chest Flyes are the best excercise for Pecs yet another dude says never do them because blah blah blah.
But whatever you do, do not "reward yourself" with junk food or an extra portion of whatever just because you've exercised. You will totally negate all the hard work you've done.
Good luck with your journey and well done for taking the decision do do something to make yourself healthier.
Kev.

Wise Owl

Disinterested Insouciant
Site Supporter
Dont worry Ginge i reckon when ya get back with yer Bird you'll be loosing weight :LOL: :LOL: (y)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
Hi Fella, so i am following a keto type diet and fully aware of some of the so called experts online lol but really for weight loss i am just trying to find out if 3* short or 1* long as better for burning fat/calories as i can put much more effort into 3* shorter sessions but if its better for weight loss to do 1 long then i will change, even after just 3 weeks i feel 100 times better already

Hi Ginge.
I've done weight training for a number of years (I'm 60 now) and whilst I'm no Arnold Swartzenegger (built more like a whippet now!), the one thing I've learned which is the most important is that You can't out train a bad diet!
I've done powerlifting, HIIT, 3 day splits etc. but never seemed to shift the bodyfat. That is until I went on the Ketogenic diet (see the Ketogenic Lifestyle thread) in the Clubhouse. It really works (provided you keep track of the calories).
So what I'm really saying is do whatever exercises you can manage to start with and you will gradually build up your stamina and do them for longer periods. You will find whatever suits you.
The internet is a good resource for different exercises but beware of the "Youtube experts" who will tell you that their method will guarantee stuff. They have found what works for them (and usually with a little chemical help)! You are right that stuff online can be conflicting - I've seen plenty of "experts" spouting that Chest Flyes are the best excercise for Pecs yet another dude says never do them because blah blah blah.
But whatever you do, do not "reward yourself" with junk food or an extra portion of whatever just because you've exercised. You will totally negate all the hard work you've done.
Good luck with your journey and well done for taking the decision do do something to make yourself healthier.
Kev.

redkev

Hi Fella, so i am following a keto type diet and fully aware of some of the so called experts online lol but really for weight loss i am just trying to find out if 3* short or 1* long as better for burning fat/calories as i can put much more effort into 3* shorter sessions but if its better for weight loss to do 1 long then i will change, even after just 3 weeks i feel 100 times better already
Hi.
If you're saying you can put more effort into 3 x 20min sessions then you will obviously be working harder than 1 x 60min session (and burning more calories).
I personally would then go for 3 x 20 min sessions then, as you get fitter you may extend them to 25 mins, then 30 mins then start 2 sessions x 30 mins etc.
As for the most effective way of burning calories, Google HIIT (High Intensity Interval Training). It does seem to have a good track records.
There are many ways to do it e.g. 20seconds intense exercise followed by 40 seconds of resting/light exercise.
At the end of the day any exercise is good.
(y)

gingert76

Facts, Stats & Evidence!
Site Supporter
problem is with my knee high intensity doesnt work as lots of jumps and impact, have tried beach body before.

Cheers

redkev

HIIT can take many forms.... it doesn't have to involve throwing yourself about the room.
I've done HIIT with just weights. It's all about the intensity.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
There is a lot of conflicting information on diets and weight loss. The key thing is move more, eat less burns calories.

Find something that works for you and you enjoy and see how you get on.

I tried cycling (5000km a year) - it made me fitter and I felt a whole lot better but didn't help me lose weight.

Just experiment and see what works for you, your body will give you feedback - listen to it. Over time you will be able to go longer / faster / harder but this is a long road and you need to start the journey. Good luck.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I wish I could motivate myself to exercise at the moment, get tired watching fitness vids,
Wasnt to bad in the summer, could go for a walk in the park and use the outdoor gym.Plus i was going to the gym when it was open.
I have a set of weights in the garage rigged up and ready to use, but that much stuff piled in front of them now, I dont fancy moving it to get them.

Philocalist

Fittest I've ever been was when I was using a good quality rowing machine at home - I've still got it now (I invested in a WaterRower, and never looked back) Typically, it got used for around an hour each day - very gentle, steady use is brilliant for weight loss and virtually zero impact, though I ended up racing on mine competitively, almost daily over a variety of challenges - could be a 1000m sprint or anything up to 10K, depending on who the opposition was - got to a 'silly' stage at one point where I was pushing just short of 16 stone of muscle, doing nothing more than rowing - wasn't unusual to hit and hold a heart rate well in excess of 150bpm with full recovery in less than two minutes.
Unfortunately, years later, time takes its toll, but I guess getting older is far better than the alternative :)