ONE ITEM

2ts

Site Supporter
Name one item that has been your best value for money purchase ever.
mine is a Cebora car battery charger,bought in the 70,s still got it,and works great.Can't remember how much,but it was not cheap, bought it off the Britool man that used to call round our estate.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Probably my favourite screwdriver.

It's an extra long philips jobbie that I bought decades ago in order to try and fix a vacuum cleaner - the screws were so recessed that a normal screwdriver wouldn't reach. At the time I thought I'd never use it again, but it's a brilliant piece of kit, perfect whenever you have to put any pressure on a screw, and fantastic for adjusting kitchen cabinets etc.

It's the first thing I pick up whenever there's work to be done and I cant use a drill/driver.

Still going 30 years on.

Last edited:

davepellet

Sabatier 2000 range 8" cooks knife

wife bought it for me (so zero cost!) for my 25th birthday... (30 years ago) just before we started knocking about together
use it every day (and I mean every day), there are a few cracks on the handle, but the blade is great... it's not easy to sharpen, as in those early years I used to put it in the dishwasher, which is not good for straight edged knives - it hardens the steel, making it very difficult to sharpen them

never had a knife come close - with the possible exception of the one she bought me for my birthday last year... Richardson Kyu range 5" Santoku style knife, absolute dream to use... (double delight with this as I used to work for Richardson, and I'm very interested in far eastern style cooking - more Korean than Japanese, but it's close enough!)

So all great so far but as it's still quite new I wouldn't expect any deterioration just yet... I'll update you all in 30 years

Godber

Priapism! ladies?
Site Supporter
Bought an exercise bike from Aldi in 2004,one of the magnetic resistance jobs. Its been hammered by me and the mrs and still going strong, its kept me fit during lockdown with the gyms being shut.

Zerkalo

Got to be a vape really if you count the amount saved on fags. Other than that I can only think of items that have held their value like an MR2 car or a keyboard synthesizer.

dry nets

apprentice stormtrooper
Site Supporter
Log burner,,,,it’s transformed our house. I’ll never be without one now

nejohn

Site Supporter
A Linn LP12 Sondek turntable I bought in 1979, it has been with me throughout my single/married/divorced/living together life and has supplied a backing track to every phase of my adult life, still provides top quality music when I want it, and as an investment it hasn't done to bad either, I paid around £250 for it in 79 and done various upgrades over the years probably costing around £1k, if I was to sell it now I would be expecting to get circa £4k for it

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
An old lady's Christmas shopping, 25 years ago. I was chatting to her in the checkout queue at Morrison's and she let me put the turkey I was carrying into her trolley as it was freezing my fingers. She was spending Christmas on her own and she only had a few bits for her dinner on the day. I went through first and told the checkout girl to put the whole lot on my bill. The old dear tried to give me the bottle of sherry that she had treated herself to, I declined. Still makes me feel good to this day and it was so easy to do.

Reuben

Site Supporter
Account Locked
A bushcraft 4” bladed knife hand made by Mick Spain some 25yrs ago. It’s had a lot of use but still as good as when I commissioned it.

bluemack

Site Supporter
Has to be the Dremel the mrs bought for my birthday about 5yrs ago,done loads of little jobs with it.