One for the mechanics....

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
My missus set off to work today in her 2.0l D BMW X3 (2008) 56k miles and the car started to whine, then smoke came out from the bonnet, the whine got more noticeable and the car stopped - dead as a Dodo, no dash lights, no electrical power, strong smell of burnt wiring.

The breakdown came and he basically shook his head, said there was an electrical fault, declared it as 'dead', put it on the recovery wagon and it's gone off to the garage of our choice.

I'm thinking the alternator has fried itself possibly blowing the main fuse, but we won't know until the garage has had a look at it and the earliest they can do so is next Tuesday, a week today.

I'm just trying to pre-empt the bill :crybaby2:

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Even a main fusible link shouldn't smell when it burns out Dave, and the fuse should stop any wiring burning out by blowing. Based on what you said above sounds like a burnt out alternator to me, or factoring in the whining and as pulled away and got going, starter pinion gear stuck in engage may be and burnt it out, although most starter motors do have a uni-directional clutch to prevent it being spun back up by the flywheel ring gear if it does stick.

You get a chance to look when chap was there or was he asked for his thoughts?

Always difficult to diagnose like this tbh, hope you get it sorted anyway, i have done the sharp and prolonged intake of breath for you though during my remote look around the engine bay.

andyb28

Auxiliary belt pulley seized melted the belt, then the battery whent flat. Possibly :D

Or its knackerd

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I had a look around it as we had an issue with the AC belt throwing off a few years ago and it turned out to be the rubber vibration damper on the pulley that had unbonded itself causing the belt to throw off and burn as it got trapped - a similar sort of smell, but this was more acrid like burning insulation, definitely electrical.

The mechanic tried to connect a jump pack to it and the terminals smoked signifying a short.

The guy working next door came over and the first thing he said was "German, that's going to cost you...." He decided to shut up when he got the sharp end of my tongue - who asked for his opinion anyway <shrug>

Total

Site Supporter
@Dave .....Did you sort Mrs W' a bus time table out for the week ahead?:unsure:......And then move like **ck?:ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
No but I tried to sort her a hire car out and nothing under £400 for a week :eek:

I only wanted to hire one, not buy it lol

Total

Site Supporter
.......The guy working next door came over and the first thing he said was "German, that's going to cost you...." He decided to shut up when he got the sharp end of my tongue - who asked for his opinion anyway <shrug>
^^:ROFLMAO:......Soooooo tetchy in the morning!:love::ROFLMAO:

andyb28

Sounds like it could be the alternator . The 3 series shorts out the battery lead in the boot may be something like that

Godber

Fruity Susan, Nobice and Inventor of W@nkles.
Site Supporter
My missus set off to work today in her 2.0l D BMW X3 (2008) 56k miles and the car started to whine, then smoke came out from the bonnet, the whine got more noticeable and the car stopped - dead as a Dodo, no dash lights, no electrical power, strong smell of burnt wiring.

The breakdown came and he basically shook his head, said there was an electrical fault, declared it as 'dead', put it on the recovery wagon and it's gone off to the garage of our choice.

I'm thinking the alternator has fried itself possibly blowing the main fuse, but we won't know until the garage has had a look at it and the earliest they can do so is next Tuesday, a week today.

@MrBen is the man. No pressure mate😁

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter

Organise a lot of fishing with @Peter over the next week, you are going to need the nuggets😜

D

Deleted member 23692

Interesting, it could definitely be an alternator, the smell will be the windings burning out. At which point disconnect the main wire to the back of the alternator, insulate it with something, tape, plastic bag etc. if you are looking for a significant short to Earth, worth checking the jump point to earths continuity, there shouldn’t be any. Whilst you have the meter out, just check body to engine earths as well to check its present. Then see if the jump pack gets things started.

Could be starter motor not disengaging, but that’s only common on Peugeots and a few Vauxhalls and did set fire to a few.

Just trying to remember if the x3 came under the same wiring recall as the 3 series they had but that was to do with the blower motor and fuse box.

Trying to diagnose without seeing a vehicle at any point is only best educated guess.

D

Deleted member 23692

WHAT DO YOU MEAN SITE SUPPORTERS FEE GOING UP TO £25!!!
That’s paying my consultancy fees, just think of I get a diagnostic box out, you’ll be seeing sure supporter fees out stripping inflation 😂😂🤠