One for the golfers.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
When, on a typical par 4 (drive well then 9 iron or pitch in-hopefully) would you expect the group behind to take their driven tee shot?

Dusty

When, on a typical par 4 (drive well then 9 iron or pitch in-hopefully) would you expect the group behind to take their driven tee shot?

That would depend on how far they hit,
I’ve played with old boys who only hit it 175 with driver, in that case I wouldn’t mind them teeing off whilst I’m playing my approach shot.

Otherwise I’d say between their second shot and walking to the green.

davylad

Site Supporter
Nah 160642, why wait until they're on the green, unless you're a massive hitter, that slows play. The answer really is, you drive off when those in front are out of your range. The typical hole you mention for me when I played (5) would be around 380 / 390 yds, so there won't be many that can drive 280 or so. Mind you when you're in the 19th hole, there's plenty that say they can. ;)

Arch

Site Supporter
When they are out of range. Only the person teeing off will know that.

I've driven a par 4 green whilst the group ahead were still putting out, a bit naughty really.

160642fishing

Site Supporter
Nah 160642, why wait until they're on the green, unless you're a massive hitter, that slows play. The answer really is, you drive off when those in front are out of your range. The typical hole you mention for me when I played (5) would be around 380 / 390 yds, so there won't be many that can drive 280 or so. Mind you when you're in the 19th hole, there's plenty that say they can. ;)
In which case davylad if it was Arch following you he would be in danger of hitting you.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Yes, I thought that too @160642fishing . Hole in front not clear and we were waiting for the group on the green to vacate it, so no obligation to wave him through. Chap behind us other day (me and the lad) hits it drive, fortunately for us wide but long, before we have even played our second shot. Then, once we were on the green, he felt it ok to hit his second-a yard short of the green we were on,-fortunately for us and him now at this point, my anger building.

I came off the green to challenge him and he advised what's the fuss and advised that he would have shouted fore if it had been dangerous. I pointed out that 'fore' isn't in place for impatience and that he should check the rules on etiquette. He advised he has been playing the game longer than I realised and also added that he had been enjoying his round 'until I had arrived'! At the next hole (final hole) and after I was wayward off the tee, knowing I would be ball hunting and with my lad yet to hit his shot, I let the chap through too! One ball having no rights as such but I treat them as any other group, to be honest and after his ignorance I just wanted him off before us and out of my sight, although I had calmed down a tad.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
That would depend on how far they hit,
I’ve played with old boys who only hit it 175 with driver, in that case I wouldn’t mind them teeing off whilst I’m playing my approach shot.

Otherwise I’d say between their second shot and walking to the green.

He drove well. As I say, long ( a few yards short in a line of where we were stood), but into the rough.

davylad

Site Supporter
The bloke behind you was obviously out of order
When they are out of range. Only the person teeing off will know that.

I've driven a par 4 green whilst the group ahead were still putting out, a bit naughty really.
Yes a lot of us have done that Arch, but it isn't going to hurt them, I'd say cracking shot if it rolls past us whilst putting out. It's different altogether if someone tees off whilst you're waiting to play your approach shot, not golf like but I would have told them to **** off. Arch the person behind teeing off should know how far he hits the ball.

Northantslad

'Any indications?
The lad knew I needed a laugh and after his hearing some of the lock stock soundtrack in the car a few days before, he said to me 'he had his Alan's in a twist didn't he Dad'. Priceless.

Dusty

Yes, I thought that too @160642fishing . Hole in front not clear and we were waiting for the group on the green to vacate it, so no obligation to wave him through. Chap behind us other day (me and the lad) hits it drive, fortunately for us wide but long, before we have even played our second shot. Then, once we were on the green, he felt it ok to hit his second-a yard short of the green we were on,-fortunately for us and him now at this point, my anger building.

I came off the green to challenge him and he advised what's the fuss and advised that he would have shouted fore if it had been dangerous. I pointed out that 'fore' isn't in place for impatience and that he should check the rules on etiquette. He advised he has been playing the game longer than I realised and also added that he had been enjoying his round 'until I had arrived'! At the next hole (final hole) and after I was wayward off the tee, knowing I would be ball hunting and with my lad yet to hit his shot, I let the chap through too! One ball having no rights as such but I treat them as any other group, to be honest and after his ignorance I just wanted him off before us and out of my sight, although I had calmed down a tad.

The guy sounds like an absolute cock, I found a lot of the issues at my old course were caused by the older members. They didn’t seem to follow any of the etiquette and acted with a horrendous sense of entitlement.
Having said that most of the rude people I seem to meet these days are older, must be an age thing.

62tucker

Site Supporter
If that was me and any ball from group behind came near us we would of stood on it and sank it into the turf. ?

crusty

I would not have let him play through. No way.
Once you've made the decision to voice your concerns and confront him, you should stand your ground, even though he brushed them off you know you were in the right.

On the last hole I would have let the lad tee off and then gone in search of my ball, I wouldn't try to be awkward or delay his game out of spite, I'd just play my game.

Ian

Northantslad

'Any indications?
Exactly Ian, It was because, given his attitude and my adrenaline flow at that point, i didn't trust myself not to 'over do' the ball looking, at least the way i approached things, i knew i would come away with safe knowledge i had acted correctly throughout. Might open me up for being a bit of a mug, but rather that, than lower to the standards of mindest he had demonstrated.

davylad

Site Supporter
You did the right thing by letting him through, although as you say a 1 ball has no standing, you proved you were above his antics, and showed a good example to your lad. That's not weakness, it would have been weak of you to go and flatten him.

crusty

You don't have to go and flatten him. You don't even have to think about him, you've made your point. Just continue to play your game out with your lad.

The example to him would be that you stuck to the rules and defended your right to do so.
Bullies shouldn't be allowed to get their way.
I've seen the same sort of thing salmon fishing, and I have to admit I have backed out rather than have the pressure of someone more experienced than me burning holes in the back of my head.

Then again it's a game, you're out to have a good day, wave him on and continue to enjoy your day. Easy life and all that, write him off as a ****head (y)

Ian

davylad

Site Supporter
Check before you do though Jods, or he might get a free drop, and could be better off.