One for the gardeners/ tree experts

me

I have a row of laylandie golden conifers. Ive had them for 20 yrs (this year) and they have been in front of a 6 ft panel fence.
the front of the conifers are a lovely live colour but as expected the back of them against the panel fence is dead, no branches, no leaves (or what ever they are called on a conifer ) . No i have no problem with this as its what i expected to happen and they were planted to hide the 6 ft panel fence and add colour .

The next door neighbor as now asked if they can change the fence panels this year down to 4 foot.as they want to add colour off our conifers to their garden . I have no objections to this if its what they want to do BUT i have explained that the back of the conifers , the side that will be visible from their side is dead, no branches, no leaves, no colour ect ect . They beleive that once the fence level is lowered and the sun light gets to the back of the conifers ( the side they will veiw) it will grow back .

Ive always been lead to beleive that once a laylandie trunk as grown no new branches / leaves ect will ever grow back on it . So who is correct me in thinking no matter how much light is put onto the back of the trees they will not grow back or the neibourgh who thinks once the sun light gets on the dead side they will jump back to life and grown branches, leaves, colour ext

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
@me

It's highly unlikely to come back, but, your neighbour can do a little trick that can not only give colour, but enhance his/her side by hiding the dead bits.
If they go ahead and lower the fence panels they could plant some flowering shrubs on their side, something like a bushy fuchsia. This is mine from a cutting 3 years ago and is now 4 foot across and around 5 foot tall. It's a variety called Delta Sarah and would make a nice hedge.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
@me

It's highly unlikely to come back, but, your neighbour can do a little trick that can not only give colour, but enhance his/her side by hiding the dead bits.
If they go ahead and lower the fence panels they could plant some flowering shrubs on their side, something like a bushy fuchsia. This is mine from a cutting 3 years ago and is now 4 foot across and around 5 foot tall. It's a variety called Delta Sarah and would make a nice hedge.

I want a cutting of that Pete. I love fuschias.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Geoff P

No problem mate. will get some done when the weather gets warmer, By the way, it's a hardy variety so no probs about digging it up cos you won't have to, but make sure of where you plant it, because once established, it doesn't like to be moved. A slightly shaded spot is ideal.

Last edited:

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Having spent my early working years at horticultural college and subsequently on a commercial Conifer nursery I can say this. When conifer leaves are unable to photosynthesise because of lack of light, the branches die off and are fully dead when they go brown. So therefore it will be impossible for the existing wood to regrow and produce new leaves. It is possible however for new growth to shoot from the main trunk and then produce new leaves, but this could take several years and appear imbalanced in proportion to the rest of the tree.

ukzero1

Site Supporter
@Geoff P

As an afterthought, I do have a couple that are in tubs if you want one of those. The cuttings were done last year and new growth is already showing.

me

Having spent my early working years at horticultural college and subsequently on a commercial Conifer nursery I can say this. When conifer leaves are unable to photosynthesise because of lack of light, the branches die off and are fully dead when they go brown. So therefore it will be impossible for the existing wood to regrow and produce new leaves. It is possible however for new growth to shoot from the main trunk and then produce new leaves, but this could take several years and appear imbalanced in proportion to the rest of the tree.

Thanks very much for that. That is exactly what I was led to believe . That's why when they mentioned lowering the height of the fence to get colour off my conifers I said I had no objection but explained that the back of the conifers was dead and all they would see was brown dead wood

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Also needs to be mentioned the Leylandi leaves (?) are very acidic and when that fence comes away there is going to be a lot of debris that will either be on the floor or fall down.
If the fence was there before the trees then the branches will have grown up and been compressed so these will probably need removing as well.This will cause even more mess and looks c**p.
I took 8 10 footers down a few years ago and in the end even after using a stump grinder had to replace all the soil due to the root system and the acidity was so high very little else would grow.

Last edited:

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Just noticed the op said no branches or leaves,but chances are there will still be dead stuff that will be dislodged (and the neighbour will still have two feet of bare wood to look at)

me

Just noticed the op said no branches or leaves,but chances are there will still be dead stuff that will be dislodged (and the neighbour will still have two feet of bare wood to look at)
lee , the fence was there when we moved in 20 yrs ago nad as never been changed. We planted the leylandi to add colour to the garden, and for their fast growing which they did, we just keep them trimmed to 6 ft so they have formed a nice hedge ,. I moved a garden shed last year that the trees grew upto and i saw that the side which touched the shed was dead, (this is when i enquired if it would grow back and was told no so ive planted another tree on the end were the shed was to cover the dead area ) Were this side is i could see along the back of the trees and its all dead and like you say the debrie is all on the floor along the back of the trees/ fence line. . If the fence is lowered it is going to look very untidy and messy on their side. Ive done all i can do by telling them in advance that everything which will be seen on their side is dead so now its up to them if they want to lower the fence

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
Think you have been very honest with them mate and they have to accept the consequences of their actions.

ukzero1

Site Supporter

Hence my earlier post of hiding dead spots with flowering shrubs for colour/effect

mike fox

'Just Me and the Fish'
Site Supporter
Rhododendron or Azalea shrubs will grow well beside Leylandii. They love acidic soils ph 4.5-6 as long as it is well drained and will obscure the dead wood of the Leylandii

Lee Richards

Site Supporter
They will but to cover the two feet now missing off the fence height will take some very big and expensive shrubs.
Smaller shrubs will take an age to grow to the height required.
Know if it was me I would replace like for like on the fence panels.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Also needs to be mentioned the Leylandi leaves (?) are very acidic and when that fence comes away there is going to be a lot of debris that will either be on the floor or fall down.
If the fence was there before the trees then the branches will have grown up and been compressed so these will probably need removing as well.This will cause even more mess and looks c**p.
I took 8 10 footers down a few years ago and in the end even after using a stump grinder had to replace all the soil due to the root system and the acidity was so high very little else would grow.

had the same at mothers, we took down half a dozen, supposed dwarf leylandii that had shot up to well above the hieght that we were led to believe that would be the max

the stumps required a good weekends work by three sons with picks, spades and a turfor to get out,

the ground around the stumps after they were removed was very poor for a few years afterwards, needing a lot of manure and eventually, near on removal and replacement with fresh topsoil

160642fishing

Site Supporter
As there seems to be some knowledgeable gardeners on here I want to grow some strawberries in one of those pots with the holes in the side this summer,what would be the best compost and strain of fruit please ?