One for the Electronics experts

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've got a Makita Laser Level which unfortunately fell off a wall and the lasers have stopped working.
It is out of warranty and not economical to send off for repair, due to age and cost of replacement.
The control buttons light up, but the laser lights (horizontal and vertical) do not

I've stripped it apart to look for anything obvious and have found one wire on the back of the lasers that is not connected to anything, tbh I can't even see where it might have been connected to.

Anyway, here's a close-up, the yellow drawn wire is the loose one and I've drawn over the other wires to add clarity...

laser.jpg

Has anyone any ideas as to where it belongs, or even if it was supposed to be like that?

JohnC

I've got a Makita Laser Level which unfortunately fell off a wall and the lasers have stopped working.
It is out of warranty and not economical to send off for repair, due to age and cost of replacement.
The control buttons light up, but the laser lights (horizontal and vertical) do not

I've stripped it apart to look for anything obvious and have found one wire on the back of the lasers that is not connected to anything, tbh I can't even see where it might have been connected to.

Anyway, here's a close-up, the yellow drawn wire is the loose one and I've drawn over the other wires to add clarity...

laser.jpg

Has anyone any ideas as to where it belongs, or even if it was supposed to be like that?
I am very good with a soldering iron Dave but not too hot on theory electronics! But use a magnifying glass and inspect the end of the cable to establish if it has a clean break or not. By the condition you can get an idea of what to look for on the solder pads on the boards. The inspection glass is your friend when looking for anything other than a clean smooth joint! The wire has probably broken clean off from the face of a solder pad. Use plenty of light and look around the enclosure for any areas that have the likelyhood of a position where the wire was.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
Both the lasers look like they are fully wired ie two pads each. I think it must have come from somewhere else.

david white

Site Supporter
Dave
What colour are the wires ( the ones you’ve highlighted )
Is it possible the broken wire ( you’re yellow one ) has snapped of the on off switch ? ie it’s the power feed to the circuitry

Total

Site Supporter
Treat yourself to a new one mate. (y)....Did it fall of a sloping/crooked wall?:whistle::ROFLMAO:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think David White has it. I never thought that the wire could have come from elsewhere but it looks like it might have come from the tilt mechanism which turns the lasers off if they aren't set reasonably level to start with.
Unfortunately the mechanism for that is inside the framework it all sits in and would mean dismantling everything to get to it and then I suppose recalibrating it afterwards, if it was possible to repair it.

I'll take a look at the green lasers after Chrimbo

Cheers,

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
I’m fine on the electronics. It’s what I did for 30 years. Dismantling fiddly pieces of kit is not my forte however. I hate it lol.

spark1

Leader - I've never known a skint builder before so would imagine you could afford to purchase a new one :giggle:

Tinca Steve

Irregular member.
Site Supporter
I've heard that they are tighter than a Scotsman and they are tighter than a ducks a**e.??

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
Us from Yorkshire aren't tight, we're just a bit ermm...careful. We have deep pockets so we don't lose our 'hard earned' easily down the back of sofa's etc. :whistle::)