One for the Chippies

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I am looking for a decent set of wood chisels, can anyone recommend a good make? The choice on the net is bewildering in it's vastness.

Corn Master

I have these. Had them for 15 years now

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
Cheers mate, they look good and there is a Screwfix on my local industrial estate(y)

Brian the Fish

Older Member.
Site Supporter
I agree, and these are cheaper and have metal striking caps to protect the handles.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
what would be your best bet is to look around your local boot fairs or on ebay

what you should be looking for is either chisels that have a sheffield steel cast in trademark or the german solingen steel marks

the steel that these are made from is far superior to 90% of the more modern offerings that are for sale new these days, most modern stuff from Stanley, marples etc are only hardened for the lower two inches of the blade, and being made from inferior steels do not hold a decent edge for very long

there are some japanese produced chisels such as fujikawa and that are equivalent of the older british produced tools, but they are a tad expensive to purchase, bit of a wet dream as far as edges are concerned

the bahcos that are mentioned above aint bad, whereas the marples to my mind are a poor job, unless you can find ones that carry the cloverleaf mark that were produced some time back

blue handled stanleys with the white band close to the tang setting are older and better steel than the more modern ones too, as are the 5001 series with black handles that they produced

Ashley Isles produced chisels are some of the best, but yet again quite pricey as are Ohlsens and Narex

I use the yellow and red plastic handled early cloverleaf marples for site work along with a set of registered pattern sorbys-marples, plus the firmer and paring chisels that have bought from the boot fairs and restored

Wise Owl

Account Locked
@mickthechippy a old lad I worked with years ago had some American chisels I’m sure they were Diston does it ring a bell ? Apparently they were the Dogs danglies ?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Diston made saws,

I have a set of distons, they rarely see the light of day, i only use them when I want to feel good and the job Im on warrents them

Distons require sharpening by hand, not like the more modern chuck away things,

and sharpening and resetting teeth is a long b'stard job,

Sportsman

Site Supporter
Sorry to nick your thread Dave but Mick, what is your opinion on the Japanese draw saws that seem to be making the rounds. I have been thinking of gettinhg a couple.
Thanks

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
myself sporty old mate, i cant get on with them, i have tried but its alien to me

there are some good chippies and joiners I know swear by them, and if you can wrap your head around pulling to cut, they are very good, but this old dogs a bit retro

trotter2

Look on eBay or car boot Marples take some beating
Trouble with the older ones is there wooden handles which can split but the steel is usually very good.The cheap ones are rubbish don't bother.

Corn Master

Sorry to nick your thread Dave but Mick, what is your opinion on the Japanese draw saws that seem to be making the rounds. I have been thinking of gettinhg a couple.
Thanks
Same as Mick. Takes some getting used to. Wouldn't bother

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
what would be your best bet is to look around your local boot fairs or on ebay

what you should be looking for is either chisels that have a sheffield steel cast in trademark or the german solingen steel marks

the steel that these are made from is far superior to 90% of the more modern offerings that are for sale new these days, most modern stuff from Stanley, marples etc are only hardened for the lower two inches of the blade, and being made from inferior steels do not hold a decent edge for very long

there are some japanese produced chisels such as fujikawa and that are equivalent of the older british produced tools, but they are a tad expensive to purchase, bit of a wet dream as far as edges are concerned

the bahcos that are mentioned above aint bad, whereas the marples to my mind are a poor job, unless you can find ones that carry the cloverleaf mark that were produced some time back

blue handled stanleys with the white band close to the tang setting are older and better steel than the more modern ones too, as are the 5001 series with black handles that they produced

Ashley Isles produced chisels are some of the best, but yet again quite pricey as are Ohlsens and Narex

I use the yellow and red plastic handled early cloverleaf marples for site work along with a set of registered pattern sorbys-marples, plus the firmer and paring chisels that have bought from the boot fairs and restored
Wow Mick, when I asked for advice on chisels I didn't realise I was paging the Oracle!! I really appreciate the effort you have put in to answer my query and I will be scouring the Antique/Junk shops of Horncastle and the numerous car boots that we have during the tourist season. If I can't find any old ones with Sheffield steel I will opt for Cornmasters suggestion and go with Bahco's. Big thanks to everyone who 'chipped' in (pun intended)(y)

62tucker

Site Supporter
My dad used to sharping his own red handle distans. But there was a shop in Newcastle that done them for you. Cross cut and rip saw. ( is that correct) sometimes the shop done ones didn’t have the right set on and used to jam. Then had to set it yourself with that little gadget

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
I have just seen, on the credit card statment, that a set of chisels has been ordered by the missus (she must have seen this thread). I have my birthday coming up next week and I know that she has a 'woodworking' theme going on for my pressies. I have always wanted some professional standard tools and I have always loved messing about with wood. Unfortunately, stemming from my mining days, I am very 'adaptable' with tools; the missus reckons I could build a bespoke kitchen using just a stanley blade, a piece of chewing gum and a length of string. This 'skill' and I use the term advisedly has meant that I have never purchased decent equipment and I am really looking forward to see what can be done with 'proper' gear. :D:cool::eek::oops::cautious:

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
she rang me and asked about the "ashley isles" full set of 16 sizes

you know that other thread I put up about equity release....................................................

Dave Spence

Site Supporter
she rang me and asked about the "ashley isles" full set of 16 sizes

you know that other thread I put up about equity release....................................................
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: We are moving anyway (y)