One for the builders...........

Pompous git

Site Supporter
When I had my survey done nearly forty years back it mentioned some scruffy pointing which it said was unfortunately becoming
more common, been no problem over the years but part of the brickwork could be neater.

At the end of the road is a bus stop along with a short brick wall built by the original developers, I am no builder in fact if I was to
be called a cowboy builder it would be doing me a favour, chimp builder would be more apt, horses for courses. Going back to the
brick wall by the bus stop, it is a shocker, it is so bad I felt like taking a photo and sticking it on here but I don`t want to get locked
up.

Contrast to a bungalow close to my Norfolk holiday home, the brickwork is so neat it is almost like modelmaker type brickpaper. It
was built by a redundant bespoke wooden boat builder so although that doesn`t make him a builder the bloke must obviously have
a good eye. Mind you the hard headed business women who I knew and had it built to order lived close by, perhaps the bloke was
scared stiff.

I like bridges, they can be ugly through to elegant but they all tell a story and most can tell a historic tale or two. One of my favourites
is Mayton bridge over the upper Bure, whilst the bridge itself is unremarkable at each end is a brickbuilt shelter for the toll keepers,
built well over three hundred years ago they are still in good condition. What a contrast to the bus stop wall.

Friday night is bullshine night!

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
I've seen the good, the bad and the ugly when it comes to bricklaying - there's an extension over the road from where @MunchMyStump and I are working at the moment and the 'builders' asked if I could take the digger over to level the garden for them.
The brickwork on the extension was some of the worst I've seen, even the corners didn't run true, more like a barleycorn twist. The pointing between the bricks looked like it had been done with a yard brush and they seemed to have forgotten to true up the corners into the reveals.

Needless to say the digger wouldn't fit between the extension and garage, and even if it would I'd have used it as an excuse to politely say 'not interested' ;)

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
I didn't see any evidence of footings being in place either. Did they bother? Dunno, but I doubt it will be standing in a couple of years time such is the shoddy workmanship.
@Dave and I have put in some graft this week and make no mistake... the only issue was a certain someone getting the digger stuck :ROFLMAO::T:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It sank up to the cab on one side in boggy soil whilst digging this trench
20211105_115738.jpg

I ended up having to take out a fence panel and push it out with the bucket from the neighbour's garden :D

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
It takes a lot to get them well and truly stuck, on this occasion there was no traction, even the bucket had nothing substantial to pull or push against - just 80cm of soaking topsoil on a clay bed.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Putting a cable in for a future summer house whilst the digger was on site ;)