One for the builders...........

RedhillPhil

Computers verified, riots quelled, wars started.
Site Supporter
Having a general question about nothing in particular the other day and the subject of house building came up. We started theorising about building a sort of dream house but then got back to basics.
Assuming that the price of the land has been taken care of and all of the associated paperwork has been completed and paid for and bungs where demanded have been paid, how much would it cost to build a brick constructed tile roofed two reception double garage four bedroomed house of proper proportions with proper wooden floorboarded floors?

Billy bonds

I've built a few houses in London, and home counties over the years..(.35 yrs to be exact,)
It works out roughly anything from £70,000 to 95,000
This is just a box standard house no feature work etc..., groundwork, roof all internals,etc
I expect it depends on location , further north you go it could be alot cheaper ,£40,000,£60,000
Building materials have gone up about 80% over the last few years,so there's that to contend with..
As I said this is on London area prices...
Most houses average 10,000 bricks,1,700 blocks,concrete is £120 per metre cubed etc...
Hope this helps...

FadingLikeDecay

I'm not a builder but one of my job titles is as a qualified Architectural Technician. You mention 'Brick Constructed' though I assume you refer to the outer-leaf of the cavity wall. You have options to go for Traditional Construction (Brick/Cavity with insulation/Blockwork/Plasterboard finish) or, Timber(or Metal) Frame (Brick/Cavity with partial insulation/Insulation between Metal or Timber studs/Plasterboard finish). The latter is often quicker but some people prefer the traditional approach. Other things to consider, is it single or Double-storey? Are you going for a warm roof or a cold roof?

Also, don't forget the fees for a Planning Application and Building Regulations Approval as well.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Just passed this. Been getting built for years. £1.5 million 😳

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
You could get a Guru bivvy for that.

FadingLikeDecay

There some things I like about that, but overall I think it's a missed opportunity to do something really good with that site. There's also some absolute sh!te visible in the plans & photo's:
  • No justifiable reason that the Master Bedroom wing is slanted, likely just the Architect being an absolute w@nk and not a client decision.
  • Horrific detail where the sloping ceiling interfaces with the window head plasterboard
  • Garish finishes throughout
  • External Timber cladding (I assume) to steel beams (and not Glulam) probably not gonna look good after some years of coastal weather.
I'm a sucker for a proper open fire or stove (like below), Lindal Cedar Homes used to do some really lovely stuff, though they appear to be doing more modern houses these days:
CL_40160-11-682x1024.jpg

62tucker

Site Supporter
There some things I like about that, but overall I think it's a missed opportunity to do something really good with that site. There's also some absolute sh!te visible in the plans & photo's:
  • No justifiable reason that the Master Bedroom wing is slanted, likely just the Architect being an absolute w@nk and not a client decision.
  • Horrific detail where the sloping ceiling interfaces with the window head plasterboard
  • Garish finishes throughout
  • External Timber cladding (I assume) to steel beams (and not Glulam) probably not gonna look good after some years of coastal weather.
I'm a sucker for a proper open fire or stove (like below), Lindal Cedar Homes used to do some really lovely stuff, though they appear to be doing more modern houses these days:
CL_40160-11-682x1024.jpg
When they started it there was a old wooden shack there. And they put the steel Work up. And we thought wtf is that as slopes all over. Says built in 2016.
Na. Started then and been on since then I think.
I stick to my £40k caravan or as all the new posh folk say. Holiday home.

muskrat

Havin' a Waggle
Site Supporter
With the combined knowledge and expertise on this forum, I'm sure we could knock one up on the cheap. ;) :rolleyes:

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I live in a bog standard three bedroom semi, built in the early eighties it is what it is. I regard it as my palace and would not want to
live anywhere else, I think all of the property programs on the telly make people too easily dissatisfied.

And owned Mitchell reels?:whistle:
The path to enlightenment is dotted with 330`s, `glasshopper` stop being a plick.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Used to watch Billy Bonds when he played for Charlton Athletic, he always stood out as one of the better players.

Billy bonds

One of the best captains west ham ever had, what he lacked in talent and skill he made up for in a will to win and big heart
Woolwich boy, started at Charlton...

Total

Site Supporter
I live in a bog standard three bedroom semi, built in the early eighties it is what it is. I regard it as my palace and would not want to
live anywhere else, I think all of the property programs on the telly make people too easily dissatisfied.

The path to enlightenment is dotted with 330`s, `glasshopper` stop being a plick.
You do make me laugh mush, brilliant sense of humour...:giggle:.....To think that loosing that huge carp at Kirby would help develop that humour another loss prolly due to having a naff reel...;)

Pompous git

Site Supporter
West Molesey eh? Oooh, do you have still or sparkling water with your quiche?

Billy bonds

Only the ones who are from West molesey ,
The Londoners who live there still drink out of a tap...like the rest.:oops: