One Float Rod To Rule Them All

nejohn

Site Supporter
I've just been looking at the Daiwa Connoisseur, looks a solid master of sod-all which is indeed what I'm after, then I stumbled upon the Maver MV-R 3 Float, a rod they're proactively marketing as a "True All-rounder" master of nothing.

This is tougher than I expected.
I will buy one off research and recommendation regardless of the price - I always do and just live with the decision, I'm not a brick & mortar customer in the slightest, I find that they've never got what you want because there's always 2 alternatives and you end up leaving with one that you'll regret all the same.
The Maver MVR in 13' is quite a good bet especially given the price they can be bought for if you shop around and as you say the daiwa conny is a good solid all round float rod, I have the 14' version and that is exactly how I would describe it, not the best at anything but makes a good fist of most situations without much fuss, the build quality is good, the fittings are decent quality and you get daiwa after sales service as back up

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
beastmaster.PNG

Sorry fellas, Bobco made me an offer I couldn't refuse.

At that price - if it does turn out to be troublesome on my small rivers I'll reserve it for the commercials and get myself a 13ft'er.
But as said, for the pegs I'm thinking about on rivers and canals it does feel right on paper, we'll see.

I'd almost made my mind up at £120 yesterday, so at £80 shipped I bit their hand off.
If I manage to find a Stradic GTM RC in the £70 region I'll be over the b*****d moon.

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
I've just taken delivery of what I believe to be - the first parabolic action float rod that I've ever held, and it's a shock to the system.

I've been catching fish on and off (more off than on) for 25 years since the age of 3, but for 23 of those years I wasn't really a tackle enthusiast, rod/reel/line/float/shot/hook/bait -> fish/done.
I couldn't even tell you the name of a single rod I've owned throughout that time and definitely not what the action was like, every couple of years I'd buy a cheap set up and go fishing for a couple of weeks and then forget about it for months sometimes years, I don't even know what happened to the gear over time.

I've definitely been lead astray in the couple of years as I got into lure fishing with extra fast stiff rods - expensive Japanese imports - ultralight 6ft things which only bend in the last third of the rod -

I put this new Shimano Beastmaster 9-11ft float rod together and gave it a good swoosh and wiggle around... I'm in complete shock at how bendy the rod is, now this might even be considered on the stiffer-side for this type of rod - to people who are used to holding them, but for me - having spent the last 2 years holding stiff baitcasting rods, it feels insane.

I'm sure it's going to be a lot of fun, but apparently it's quite a powerful rod as float fishing goes, I can't imagine the bend in something longer but less powerful, being hooked into a 4lb Chub digging into the bank an Acolyte Ultra must be bent in half.

I'm definitely happy with the lengths, 11ft being a solid 4-12lb fish catcher for commercials and club waters, which can drop down to 9ft for Perch bobbering in canal margins and Chub chasing on claustrophobic river pegs, exactly what I wanted and it definitely looks and feels right for lengths -
But I guess I'll discover what this through / parabolic action business is all about this weekend, excited (but not confident!).

Got my GTM RC 2500 scheduled for tomorrow, very excited about that, I did end up paying full price but hey-ho brand new and couldn't sit around waiting for a sale price, very excited about this reel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
You should have no problem with the size of fish you are after with it as I do recall it being pretty powerful.

Through and parabolic actions are a bit different I think you’ll find it closer to the former if I recall correctly but I may be wrong.

And yeah a 4lb plus chub does put quite a bend in an acolyte ultra but they’re comfortable still whereas a double figure carp is not so much 😂

DontKillZander

Site Supporter
My Beastmaster CX eyes are out of alignment, I'm trying to ignore it but it's pssing me off.

It has already been relegated to the "occasional float fishing sessions" - onsite ponds on trips to the caravan and whatnot.

It did help me find what I wanted in a rod, and I've just ordered in a Daiwa Prorex XR 9ft 5-25g spinning rod for my canal/river bobber fishing, I've decided that long and light spinning gear is what I was looking for after all, as opposed to match gear.

But yes, the last 3 eyes on the tip section of the Beastmaster are slightly out of alignment with the rest, I keep trying to tell myself that it's ok considering I only paid £80, and "it will do" for what it's now going to be used for.

The GTM RC has also gone back as faulty, the pin holding the spool in place to give action to the pinion (not sure of the proper naming) - fell out whilst reeling in a Perch, causing the spool to freerun and I had to handline the fish.
It didn't have any rubber washers holding it in place or anything, the groove on the part suggest that it's supposed to be secured by friction or something, I don't know but either way whether by design or defect it's rubbish and I've asked for a refund.

Last edited:

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Might be worth trying the browning micro waggler if you’re looking for a short fairly powerful float rod.