One advantage of getting older.... !

Status
Not open for further replies.

MarkV

aka Tigerbay
Site Supporter
I can fish and not worry about whether i'm on 'the right' method, or ' the winning method'. I just fish what I fancy. Yep sometimes i'll pull the stops out to try and win, but hey it 'aint that important.

When I was younger i'd have fretted if I was 'doing it right' or about if I should change etc. Now I do what I enjoy. It's GREAT !

Moving off topic fishing wise but related... when I was 28 a mate of mine who was 40 said to me that for him, one of the great things about being 40 is... you dont have to worry about what you wear anymore.. meaning fashion wise. I know it doenst apply to everyone, but its a thought, a sort of freedom.

Jeeez i'm 50 soon lol.

Benji

Account Locked
33 and free from the fashion police, I dont care. Fish how I like as well, life's too short to follow like a sheep.

jonesr

Hey Tiger,totally agree!At 70+ I haven't got to worry about Dress,Style or anything else. The only thing is your health!!

Ron J[8D]

piroflip

yes,,,,,,,,I pity the youngens who just have to have the latest rods n reels that the "experts" (who get them for nothing) urge them to buy.

ott

im 19 and dont feel that sort of pressure.who needs the latest gear..you just need gear that works!

fredradac

Site Supporter
I think that possibly the very best thing about angling is that anyone can participate at what ever level they are happy with. If you enjoy the competition in match fishing, great. If you want to sit behind a battery of carp rods waiting for that one bite this week, also great (but definitely not my choice!). These days I enjoy catching river barbel and chub best of all but I don't mind an odd session on a match-type commercial and, despite the problems of recent years, I still think fishing in Ireland is ace.
PS I turned 6o last year so please forgive the ramblings of an old nutter.

Larry

Lazarus
I agree with joner health is the most important thing in fishing having suffered with my health to a certain degree over the last 6 years. With good health you can do anything you want.

Last edited:

BARRYBLOKE

Account Locked
I agree with you Tiger a million percent.
I lost the competetive edge in my fishing and became bored and unhappy because I couldnt seem to get it back.
After much head stuff I came to the conclusion I didnt want it back anyway.
I sold all my match gear and now I couldnt give a monkeys uncle who has the most at the end of a session.
I fish waggler off a chair for 99.9 percent of my fishing. I dont match fish at all anymore and Im enjoying my fishing more than I have for years.
I can still do it if I want too but who cares lol.
I actually get exited on Friday nights again and I havent done that for donkey,s years.
Older and wiser mate.[;)]

nico12

Grebe Grabber
Great thread...

I too am reaching that age where fleece garments and a good flask is getting just as important as the latest kit.

confidence to fish the wag when everyone around is on pole...when i was fishing recently a bloke said i was the first he'd seen on rod and line on that lake for years...lol.

im with Barry on the weights too, if i want to drink tea and smoke and generally spend time day dreaming then i'll live with it lol

kleinboet

All you "oldies" (like myself) out there, I echo what you say, but I have to add that in x number of years fishing, you will walk past pegs because "they don't feel right" or if you are in a match, you look around for a minute or two, and all those years of angling come back and tell you the best way of fishing the peg to its best advantage!

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I do go match fishing, but don't give a damn where I come in the tables.Most guys have get set up with half a dozen plumbed-up top kits by the time I get my zimmer frame and all my gear to my peg. Then I'll have a cup of coffee.

It drives my mate to distraction to see me "pratting about" for rudd on the surface when I should be bagging up on paste, but I've paid my fees so I'll do as I like!
A good brekkie, a nice new fishery, a bit of banter and a few fish, that'll do me.[:)]

Enigma

Armchair Carper
Well I say B0ll0CKS to everything! Fish how you want, wear what you want, drink and smoke till your're sick have a damn good slap up brekkie before the off or even after the off. Pick your nose, beltch as loud as you like, lift one cheek and give a good ripper.

At the end of the day so long as you are not disturbing anyone else and if you are just as happy blanking as well as baggin and you leave with a smile what does it really matter.

As most of you have said life really is too short make the most of it as none of us know when the end will be here......

missabite

Originally posted by Enigma
.... beltch as loud as you like, lift one cheek and give a good ripper.

At the end of the day so long as you are not disturbing anyone else...

[:D]

Might upset the anti bodily noise brigade [:D].

Status
Not open for further replies.