Onbox footplate height

Fugley-fisher

Fishing the stour dorset, most probably!
Site Supporter
@Steve88 4 legs is a lot cheaper than a new box just make sure there telescopic way easier levelling your box, tight lines.

Steve88

Excuse the messy garage but that's the box I have, measured them up and looks like they're 23mm legs around 460mm in height so the 600mm would be perfect

Attachments

• IMG_20200705_150556.jpg
    IMG_20200705_150556.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 23

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
Excuse the messy garage but that's the box I have, measured them up and looks like they're 23mm legs around 460mm in height so the 600mm would be perfect
They're 23mm onbox legs, the space station legs are a bit longer, I have 2 on the front legs to raise the side tray and ripple bar. 20200705_152425.jpg

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
@carphauler that's a well used n abused box but still giving good service I assume. I've a inseption sl30 changed the none telescopic legs for telescopic not as solid as the old on box but ok

Fugley-fisher

Site Supporter
There all heavy no matter what they say especially when you fill them with stuff a trolly is a must.

Steve88

They're 23mm onbox legs, the space station legs are a bit longer, I have 2 on the front legs to raise the side tray and ripple bar. 20200705_152425.jpg
That's pretty much what I'm after could slide the middle legs down to lower the footplate then use the telescopic parts at the back to level the box

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I've acquired an onbox fishing box off a pal, the issue I have with been quite tall is when I'm sat on my box, with the footplate out my knees are higher than my hips,which hurts my back after a while.

Can I attach the footplate to the parts of the legs that extend out of the thicker legs?

I can lower the thick legs but this then means my attachments are lower than I'd like them.
I've got an onbox with 3 trays. I am just under 6 feet and find it pretty comfortable with the footplate extended which I sometimes stand on to cast. You probably already know this but you need to have the seat as low as possible.The plate itself is attached to the front legs of your box via a bar. I would not have thought that you could easily attach that bar to the narrow leg extensions, unless you could find some way to reinforce the load bearing element of the plate bar (30 mm waste pipe cut to fit and painted?) Haven't tried that myself

Have a look at Tommy Pickering's vid about setting seatboxes. It worked for me

Steve88

I've got an onbox with 3 trays. I am just under 6 feet and find it pretty comfortable with the footplate extended which I sometimes stand on to cast. You probably already know this but you need to have the seat as low as possible.The plate itself is attached to the front legs of your box via a bar. I would not have thought that you could easily attach that bar to the narrow leg extensions, unless you could find some way to reinforce the load bearing element of the plate bar (30 mm waste pipe cut to fit and painted?) Haven't tried that myself

Have a look at Tommy Pickering's vid about setting seatboxes. It worked for me
I watched his recent live video where he talks about the nick of the knee, when I'm stood up the top of the box is around 2-3 inch below the nick of the knee, the box height is pretty perfect when I place my feet on the ground rather than the footplate, so an extra few trays or longer legs enabling me to lower the footplate would be perfect

Keith Sparky

I also have series 5 box and like a lot of boxes you will need to add a drawer unit to raise the height above the footplate so your knees are not too high....personally I fish without the footplate as 95% of the pegs I fish are on level platforms or concrete slabs. With 3 layers of drawers my box is just right for the pole and without the footplate it's much closer to the ground and lighter....if you just do a search for preston xs drawers they are still available to buy.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I watched his recent live video where he talks about the nick of the knee, when I'm stood up the top of the box is around 2-3 inch below the nick of the knee, the box height is pretty perfect when I place my feet on the ground rather than the footplate, so an extra few trays or longer legs enabling me to lower the footplate would be perfect
If you are anything like me, extra trays mean more terminal tackle and a weight increase! Just recently on one of the front legs of my footplate, the thread on the tightening clamp (or a part of it) now won't tighten. What I've done is to determine my optimum default height from the ground for the plate. I found some black waste pipe (32mm) and cut it to fit over the leg (just) direct to the mud feet at one end and the support blister on the clamp at the other. Worked fine as I was standing up on it on Friday landing decent carp late in my session. Around 2 meters of pipe costs around £5.