On the Rod Licence theme.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Hi everyone,

I received this the other day and based on recent debates I must say I had a little chuckle when I thought about putting it on icon_smile_big.gif, but here goes:

The owners of two of the big commercial fisheries, Cyril Brewster (Chairman) Premier Fisheries and Billy Makin, claim anglers who visit commerciallly run fisheries receive nothing in return for their 21.00 EA rod licence. They went further to criticise it and claim that it was no longer valid at their waters.
This is because of their belief that because the waters are self maintained, stocked and funded, anglers who don't fish anywhere else shouldn't have to buy one.

Billy Makin alledgedly said that it doesn't make sense for anglers who only ever fish his water should pay for a licence when the Environmental Agency contribute nothing to the fishery, it's upkeep nor it's maintenance.
They also believe that their waters have become easy targets for the EA ballifs who seem to prefer the higher concentration of anglers that are found on the commercials.

Browning Cudmore and Makins were recently beseiged by baliffs checking permits as it was claimed that this type of fishery is easier to police that the rivers which led to the claims.

It kind of takes a step backwards in my opinion, whats yours?

Dave

(and please no fisticuffs at dawn, lol)

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
The same piece appeared in the AT a week back.

I like the idea to be honest, then when the Carp death Virus reaches either of their waters the EA can turn round & say "sod off you didn't need our help before".

As is always the same with those two the only that matters is 's look at all the mugs who use their fisheries, paying out for their fishing & then having to pay out for the bait as well because you can only use it on their water.

One of the good things about the idea is all those anglers who "only" fish there won't have to worry about getting caught fishing on any other water without a valid EA licence or the fine that they'll get for fishing without one.

So yes let them have their way & when people can't get on makins or one of the other waters becuase its full of tight wads who didn't want to buy a rod licence they'll have to go without a days fishing & go home after a wasted trip (then again i suppose they could risk fishing without a licence on another water & hope the EA don't turn up)

Alan

G

Boils down to one thing Davemoney, money, money,As trogg said let the regulars fish at the venue,without a licence, but what will they do when all the pegs are gone????? risk a fine,, people who come out with statements like the one quoted make me sick,
In theory then Dave,, Trogg, if thje M/Ds water gets off the ground will we need a licence????? we can tell the EA to bugger off we dont need them, me thinks not

i'm going to bait up
Andy

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
As has been said Money money money. I believe that the carp puddles can enter in to an agreement with the EA so that the rod licence required is covered by the day ticket purchased. I suppose its a joint day ticket. This means of course either a hike in the price or less profit for the owner.

You can bet if any problems hit them they would be the first to run crying to the EA.

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
John
You don't understand mate, these people never use the EA for anything so it wont matter.

The EA are trying to find out what causes spring mortality syndrome in carp & of course when the EA do find a cure & one of the premier fisheries or makins mud hole needs that cure who are they going to ring??

All the waters that recieve free stock fish (ie rivers like the Trent, Don, Dee & Severn) won't be getting as many now if these idiots get there way, how will the EA be able to afford to run places like calverton without the much needed income of the rod licence??

Each year the goverment have cut funding to the EA & made it harder & harder for them to perform the job they do, who is it that faces the cries of "what do i get for my money", "what do the EA do exactly"??, "why should i pay for a rod licence"??

When a water near those people needs help or when their clubs stretch of river is badly polluted & needs a sh*t load of work & new stock who do you think will be there to do it??

If a carp puddle like makins was to have a stream/river fed system & it became polluted who do you think the owner would turn to for help??

Then again with the amount of money places like that make they'd just pay for a fisheries expert to come in & have a look , tell them what they already know & then charge them a fortune for it but of course the expert won't be able to get the necessary work done or restocking fish for the same price as the EA would.

So like i said before let them have their way & all those that are members of clubs/ syndicates or other groups will have the other waters to themselves which in the long run may be a better deal.

Alan

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Alan , what I was saying is that the carp puddles already have the means available to avoid anglers needing a rod licence to fish their waters. It seems that this isnt good enough for them.

I appreciate the funding or lack of it to the EA and the work they do on the rivers in stocking them.

The argument used by the owners of the carp puddles does not make sense as any or all water owners could use the same reasoning to avoid rod licence fees. As it stands a rod licence is a legal requirement to fish and untill the law is changed so be it.

One last thought if they dont require any help from The EA. How then can they stock the waters legally. They have to apply to the EA for a section 30 for transfering fish. John

chill out go fishing

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
dead right John but from recent reports it would seem more & more aren't bothering with the section 30 anymore.

Could this possibly be the reason carp vimidea (spell check?) & other diseases have become so common in the UK in recent years?

Any "decent" fishery owner knows it is illeagal to move fish from one water to another without the section 30 & if they do move fish without one then any diseases the fish are carrying will be passed onto the new water, the first thing that will happen when the fish start bellying up will be a phone call to the EA's local office begging for help.

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 06 July 2002 1:51:58 PM

Del-J

' Victor '
I was shown a fishery today that has an unmanned ticket office and in the office is a E.A. notice that states that NO licence is needed to fish these lakes. These waters are not just "carp puddles" they contain carp it's true but also tench, roach, rudd and perch. All these fish are so I'm told are of a good stamp.

Del.

Not fishing? Then talk to your friends on MDs.

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Del

Did the notice mean no fishing licence or no rod licence??.

I have seen a water where it stated no licence was needed but what it meant was no "club card" was needed.

Could you let me know (via e-mail, private message or on here) where the water is & what its called please, it would be interesting to get the EA,s side of this.

Alan

Nige

First point, Makins does have a stream running through it, so theres every possibility that one day he might need the help/advice ect of the EA.

Second, Money, Billy Makin and others who run commercial fisheries are no fools, if it was alowed that anglers who fish nowhere else could be exempt from a rod license, then they have a captive audience who would help to pay off the bank loans quicker.

Third, all anglers MUST be more aware of the situ with regard to the non-fishing public. If we ALL pay for our license, then its one way we can demonstrate that we care for our enviroment and the fish we try and catch. If I fished no-where else but Makins, I'd still go out and get a license as well as my ACA membership.

Nige, Wishin I was Fishin

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Good for you Nige icon_smile.gif

I only ever went to makins once saw the amount of rubbish on the bank n left

The same at cudmore (or mudmore as we locals call it) those places are true carp puddles.

No vegitation just pits dug in the ground filled with water then a load of fish dumped in.

The one thing i hate is when people refer to any kind of fishery as a carp puddle, take a look at some of the fisheries out there & you can see the time & effort let alone cash thats gone into them.

Alan

esox.20

04/11/01 - 12/10/15
In Memoriam
Alan, thats as maybe that they spent money on the banks etc. BUT at the end of the day the results the same minimum amount of water maximum weight of fish. So much so that the fish couldnt survive without anglers bait, or they have to be fed pellets to keep then going. Never mind some places need to be oxygenated artificialy.

As I have said before if thats what turns you on then so be it, me I prefer the larger wilder waters Yes I will blank thats part of the game,but I will be able to enjoy all the splenders that nature provides that just does not exist around carp puddles.

chill out go fishing

Del-J

' Victor '
Trogg,

All I know it is the waters in question are on a day ticket, even though there is nobody to collect the money. They just rely on the honesty of the angler to put the money in the box and take a ticket.

The other info you asked for I will try to get for you, if I have the time before I have to go home
. All I can tell you for certain at this moment in time is that it is in South Devon.

Del.

darryl

that sounds like glebe you put your money in a box in the shed

work`s for them who can`t fish

Del-J

' Victor '
darryl,

No mate it's not glebe I can't remember the name of the place but it's a two word name.

Del.

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Del
In Devon and Cornwall, before the National Rod Licence was brought in, most day ticket waters included the cost of a local rod licence intheir day ticket price and I think they paid a yearly sum to cover the cost of licences. In fact Devon and Cornwall didn't have a close season on still waters either.

I used to go to Cornwall fishing some years ago, and I was quite pleased because the idea saved me buying a rod licence for that area. I used to buy them for about 4 regions then.

I expect that notice dates back to that time.

I am not going to argue this point BTW, because I can assure you it is fact. Stroppy ain't I.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Geoff P

The MOGerator
Staff member
Site Supporter
Further to the first post on this thread. I read all that c**p in the angling press. I get a bit cheesed of with Fishery owners thinking the law should be amended to suit them. Just who do they think they are? Luckily the thought of fishing "carp puddles" (sorry Trogg IMO that is all they are - Bolingy 2002 for instance) all the time would really put me off fishing.

Places like Cudmore, Makins, Docklow, Whiteacres etc should start assisting the EA in making sure anglers who fish their waters comply with the law of the land. If not they should be done for aiding and abetting anglers caught fishing without a licence.

Trogg

I remember this same theme running on Anglers Net when I first signed on to that last October. I said then that fishery owners should check rod licences and I believe you said that it would be an inconvenience in your case because you kept your licence at the bottom of your box. Remember that?icon_smile_question.gif
quote:Geoff
Good idea mate but my rod licence is in the bottom of my seat box which means i would hold others up looking for it.

Geoff

RSSG member - are you?
Clean Banks Campaign member

Edited by - Geoff P on 07 July 2002 6:09:59 PM

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Geoff

The devon/ cornwall idea sounds great.

If that could be implimented on all day tickets waters then i reckon it could just about work.

What i meant with the AN thing is if they ask to see my licence on entering it could be a pain cos mine is always at the bottom of my box which would mean having to get the gear out to find it, which in the long run could be a pain for other anglers having to wait till i've found it. ( i will admit i should really carry it in my pocket but i'd probably leave it at home if i did icon_smile_sad.gif)

This wasn't meant to read as "i don't like the idea & it would be an inconvenience because mine is at the bottom of my box".

If that was a requirement of fishing a place then i would gladly get my licence out & show the owner.

For some unknown reason it doesn't matter how many times i put my licence in the top of my box it always ends up at the bottom (won't happen with my new conti box though i'll put it in the top drawer).

One last thing Geoff

The remark about the fisheries helping the EA is a fantastic one its a shame more fishery owners don't think like you.

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 08 July 2002 12:27:52 PM

danzante

Al,
my licence is always in my wallet next to my paper money, which never leaves my body.....unlike my brain.icon_smile.gif

Danny

Trogg

the bouncer
Staff member
Site Supporter
Danny

You Think your wallet never leaves your body mate.

I thought you said you were married icon_smile_wink.gif

My licence is in my wallet, the same wallet i carry my club membership cards in, it saves time messing about finding the card i need for the waters i'm on & my rod licence is always there ready.

Alan

Edited by - Trogg on 08 July 2002 12:24:37 PM

Status
Not open for further replies.