On reflection - 2020

Browner

Apart from the obvious COVID situation, on reflection, I personally think 2020 has been a good fishing year. I‘ve spent a lot of time on the river thanks to moving home and learnt at lot about fishing when the river is pushing through and coloured. I’ve also spent a lot of time experimenting using shorter rods and fishing closer in. This has produced some great chub and roach fishing and being able to walk to the river, carrying a short 9ft feeder rod and a shoulder bag has made things very simple.
Hope you can reflect on 2020 and have positive thoughts too.

Wise Owl

Account Locked
Been a great year ive had some Great fishing Days and Nights, spent as much time with my Gert ok not had many meals out but eaten well and together at home. Took Albert on some Lovely Country walks and Got Money left over to Boot. 2020 what a year (y)(y)

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Been an abysmal year, got done over by covid, got pee'd on by the aftermath, ended up with heart, possible lung and liver problems, nigh on £20k out of pocket through lost earnings, found out I've got CLL (don't Google it) had it 3years undetected, got a gorgeous grand-daughter born on my birthday, loving wife and family, mad dog, good bunch of mates, and still here ....... so not too bad in the grand scheme of things ;)

Sam Vimes

Site Supporter
As I'm not the most gregarious, it's been ok. Income took a hit, but nothing too serious, certainly nothing to cause sleepless nights. The upside of that was even more time to fish than normal. The only annoying part of the year was the part of lockdown when we couldn't fish at all. It included a bit of prime tench time.

matti

Site Supporter
Yes it been a rubbish year,lot of people have suffered, businesses have gone to the wall, thinks will bounce back eventually, hopefully, but it been a great fishing year, wons some matches, won some money, made some new friends, and with all this not going out, weve never been as flush

Oldmech

Site Supporter
Not been good for us, lost brother in law and some fishing mates, Wife and myself had some health issues but still plodding on, fishing been good with a few match wins. Will be glad to see the back of this year and hope it's a better one next year.

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have been fairly lucky in that I have been able to work from home throughout all of this with only the occasional trip into the office when absolutely needed. Fishing wise it has been OK had some nice sessions on local club lake as I didn't want to travel too far, although I did manage a few sessions on the Wye and the Monnow. On the down side the lockdown in Wales have been a pain with no travelling allowed so technically no fishing during periods of lockdown (which have been frequent) we have however found some really nice walks locally, the garden is looking much better and all of the inside of the house has had a good look at a paint brush.... But I will say that I will not be sorry to see the back of 2020

BTMS

Site Supporter
Like you Dave had a shiet year medically Fibrosis of bone marrow, Disgammaglobulin Enemia (no immune system) and to finish of cancer in ankle and leg with they took a a large chunk out off, Waiting to see prostrate results were due on 30th. Apart from that fishing has been good lying second in our club league had some really nice fish to boot. Been told I am going to be a great grandad, garden was beautiful this year so all in all still here. Looking forward to a healthier new year.

Stay safe and enjoy life to your max and look after the ones you luv

Alantherose

Site Supporter
The biggest upside was that Lockdown #1 afforded me some valuable time to write my MA dissertation on the story of David & Goliath (better still, I got 74% and passed my MA with a distinction :geek::geek::geek: ). Sadly I didn't catch any "Goliath" fish, but me and my son managed a lot of fishing in the times when it was permitted. If there was a downside to that, it was that I normally use my time fishing for silent prayer and reflection (my "day job" is pastoring a church), but fishing with an 8-year-old is not conducive to any kind of contemplative activity :p

One small personal downside was that my scheduled 8wk sabbatical got kicked into touch, but that is really a very small thing in light of all that has gone on (my dreams of undisturbed hours on quiet waters are being transferred onto the coming summer). I am thankful that nobody I know was seriously ill with Covid (York has not been badly affected...until now).

Really gutted for @Dave that it hit him so hard- praying for peace and health for you in the New Year mate.

Al

Browner

Been an abysmal year, got done over by covid, got pee'd on by the aftermath, ended up with heart, possible lung and liver problems, nigh on £20k out of pocket through lost earnings, found out I've got CLL (don't Google it) had it 3years undetected, got a gorgeous grand-daughter born on my birthday, loving wife and family, mad dog, good bunch of mates, and still here ....... so not too bad in the grand scheme of things ;)
Sorry to hear about all your woes Dave. Only been back on MD a few weeks after several years away. Good to hear about the grand daughter.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Been by far my best ever coarse fishing year. Worked out that I think I've done 52 sessions with 40 of those river, 7 Stillwater and 5 canal. So equivalent of a session a week but when you take into account that I didn't fish at all in January, February and obviously April then only fished once in each of March and December then 50 sessions across the other 7 months of the year is pretty good going and certainly not something I'll achieve again. By the law of averages given I've fished more than any other year I've had more good sessions than ever including some that are up there as some of the best I've ever had. Only downside fishing wise is that lack of travel has taken away the diversity of fishing options but that's not really take much of an edge off it provided that does become the norm.

Fishing aside March and April was obviously a pretty awful time and November and December have been a very a long way from good as well. But the rest of the year has been as good as any really with more time than usual spent with friends and family and engaging in my hobbies and generally things I like to do. Only downside again has been travel restrictions but then again at least that has offset losing a good chunk of wages.

Apart from the odd friend of a friend getting it very minor we largely escaped covid until the last few weeks when first my cousin got it then recovered then my parents currently have it but touch wood they aren't really what you'd call actually ill so far at least a week into it. Tbh being stuck in their designated rooms alongside the rest of us also being stuck in the house is giving them far more grief than the virus itself so far so just have to hope the next few days until we are allowed out again pass without any issues.

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Well, my family’s all alive and kicking,( moaning,lol), gutted with the 1st lockdown, when we couldn’t fish, income took a hit, but we got £7500 off the government to tied us over, business is good, kids are all happy and settled, food in the fridge, warm bed to sleep in. If everything’s the same this time next year, I’m not complaining 👍👍👍

fishcatcher4

Think i have fished 6 /7 times at most.

Health wise for some of my nearest and dearest has been absolutely awful with some serious issues + a miscarriage.

Only really seen close family outside the window or on the doorstep in fact my eldest called today on her way to work so that was a treat.

All in all it's been a shitt year but we got a new great grandchild on the way for next July so something to look forward to.

I just hope things will have changed so we can at least hold him or her.

Onwards and upwards though.(y)

The Hitman

Site Supporter
2020 has had some highs and lows.
Highs.
Business has suffered a little, on the positive note it proved i can work from anywhere, this has given me and my wife the opportunity to buy our dream house in North Devon, with another business opportunity. Move is taking a while, it will happen in the next month or so. Nobody in my family got Covid and my wife has worked throught it all with no issues and she deals with customers all day.
The lows, 2 of my kids moved to Germany, not been able to see them, thankfully we have video calls. Had to put one of my dogs to sleep. 😪 And my Dad's health has suffered, thankfully he is still with us.
On the fishing front, really enjoyed my pleasure sessions and started to enjoy matches again.
Overall very grateful for a year better than i thought it would be.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
Covid aside, all in all, 2020 has generally sucked , except for the fishing which has been great, as has the advice and comments from here. Thanks for that. Feeling optimistic about 2021 particularly now since my dose of shingles seems to have finally departed

david white

Site Supporter
Where to start ....?
Do you know what I ain’t going to bother, all my immediate family have come through the dreadful year relatively unscathed, are currently fit and healthy, working and have the future to look forward too ( hopefully ) if I’m able to re write this self same message this time next, trust me I’ll be as happy as a pig in sh*t

Biggest loss on a selfish note was the passing of a great mate, he'd been a huge influence on my fishing and a just a genuine great bloke
( RIP Richard ‘Dick’ Forty, Ruislip Angling Club those fish up there ain’t going to know what’s hit them, tight lines fella )

Let’s all hope that 2021 proves to have more positives than negatives

squimp

Site Supporter
Under the circumstances, a decent year.

Wider family has survived Covid fairly unscathed. 2x 85+ year old mothers still around.

My partner and 2 dogs are all fine.

Being semi-retired means COVID business impacts have been manageable.

Fishing had been great - one of my most successful years. It’s good to be back coarse fishing again. But I have missed my foreign trips.

Thanks to lots of maggot drowners for the coarse advice and for the laughs along the way.

Here’s to happy and healthier times in 2021.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Bizarre year. About 40k down in income & been living on furlough pay (minimum wage amount). Hadn't had a day off for 5 years & now I've had 6 months off with more to come.
Got tons of fishing in but missed out on a few matches because they'd stopped by the time the second lockdown started. Had a nice weekend away at Alders and hopefully the planned Lindholme match will go ahead.
Got lots of DIY done but spent far too long sat in front of a PC. Healthwise, I've been lucky & blessed with good health (touches wood).

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Second year of fishing again since I moved house, the first year back was always going to be really special as fishing new venues for the first time is a real buzz. But I've also had some good and memorable fish and sessions this year, so fishing wise it's not been bad but everything else can go do one lol.

BTMS

Site Supporter
It just goes to show the positivity of MDs every body seems to be still positive. Here's to 2021 and Dave taking some nuggets he deserves it. Thanks to all who have kept the banter and light heartedness to keep us ALL going forward