Olympics in London

Status
Not open for further replies.

hookit

Account Locked
Defra has had its budgets cut as a result the funding to angling has been cut. When I asked this question I was told many will loose out because the money for the Olympics has to be found. We can ask what are the advantages for you and I and the man in the street to have the olympics in London. Will we find ourselves like Greece a few years down the line and still paying for the games? Its a small fortune and for what for our country to be in more debt. Maybe after the London games all countries taking part should pay a percentage so that no one nation has to take the brunt of the expense, some countries could never be able to fund such an event but if we all paid then maybe other countries could stand a chance of staging the Olympics.
If as a country we are unable to fund such as the Olympics without having a negative effect on other then we should simply say no thank you and let other stage it.

bitemisser

What grey hairs?
What gets me about this is that when we put the initial bid in, i think the cost being touted was about 1.5 to 2 billion pounds..Now if it cost over 800million just to build a football stadium (Wembley) how in hell did they calculate we could run a massive event like the olympics for just twice that cost. Lo and behold a few months later, the cost is now something like 9billion if i remember...Someone made a big boo with the calculator.. Can imagine if i did that while doing budgets at work

Me "this new sales figure"
Boss "yes?"
Me "I'm slightly out with my assumption"
Boss "how much out?"
Me "About 8billion quid"
Boss "Here's your P45, pee off"

D Wallace

leo
they quoted 1.5 billion to get support and a yes from the governing body's. had they said the games will cost about 9 billion they would'nt have got the backing. I alway's thought Seb Coe was a bit shifty.

vwt4

There was somebody being interveiwed after we were granted the olympics, and he was asked what it will bring, and what it will mean for the average person in the street, and he said that thousands of school kids and sports organisations will benifit from the lottery grants, so that our future sports people will benifit and get a chance to enter for trials to qualify to enter into the olympics,a new statement issued after the new cost of over 9 billion was anounced that because of the inflated cost of this white elephant, the lottery grants would now be diverted from the youngsters,and would go instead to pay for the extra funding of this bottomless pit, where we all pay to make London better for londoners again...

Mark274

Cowboy
The money would be better spent giving more sporting facilities to local sports projects. That way the whole country would have the opportunity to live a healthier lifestyle.

Enigma

Armchair Carper
I wouldn't worry they won't have it built in time anyway...

They could save a small fortune on sports equipment by using whats left on the building site come open day.

Javlin - fence post
Hammer - brick hod
Discus - building site workers plate of full english breakfast.
Hurdles - piles of unused bricks
High jump - scaffold poles

easy when you think about it

Ask me I think the whole bloody thing is a scam and a waste of time. Think of those poor families that have had their home and businesses compulsivly purchased

hookit

Account Locked
Originally posted by Mark274

The money would be better spent giving more sporting facilities to local sports projects. That way the whole country would have the opportunity to live a healthier lifestyle.

To right mate or even to the NHS ect.

methodgob

yoda
Anyone like to place a bet with me that the track cycling ends up being held at Manchester velodrome?

The track is being relaid ahead of schedule,funny,because the BCF had no money to do it a short while ago!Hidden agenda,thinks I!

Mark274

Cowboy
Haven't Manchester still got a bit of sports stuff left over from the commonwealth games?

davefish

please spare a thought for the unlucky people like me who have to live and work in the area of stratford its going to be horrendous trying to travel in your car or public transport when the bloody thing is on thinking of renting out my flat and going on holiday for the duration.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
It's an absolute farce, an unbelievable amount of money to spend on minority sports.

Status
Not open for further replies.