Olympics, Doping and the GB Team

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
One of ours looks like costing us and his three team mates a silver medal. But why was this allowed to happen?

Surely as a precautionary measure the GB Olympic Committee should ensure that all our competitors had a drug test shortly before travelling. You know they are going to be tested while there so why not take sensible precautions so that we are not embarrassed.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Some mere cold remedies and painkillers freely available over the pharmacy counters will cause athletes to fail stringent olympic type testing

sports drinks such as red bull can effect the blood or urine tests too

you gotta laugh when athletes suffer bans when shown to have used marijuana, about as far from a performance inhancing drug there is

bezzer

Site Supporter
Some mere cold remedies and painkillers freely available over the pharmacy counters will cause athletes to fail stringent olympic type testing

you gotta laugh when athletes suffer bans when shown to have used marijuana, about as far from a performance inhancing drug there is
Alain Baxter and his Vicks inhaler......

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter

Any sportsman at that level knows that they have to be very careful about what they take. When Shaun Murphy lived with us he would only see one doctor at the local surgery as that doctor fully understood the ins and outs of what Shaun was allowed to take.

It would be very rare, very stupid or very careless for an elite competitor to take something that would prove negative in a drug test.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
The Olympics lost all the purity and ethos of what it was worth when they allowed proffessional sportsmen to compete

it was and still should be a festival of sports for purely Amatuer athletes

its just a sham nowadays, at one time, I would watch many events on the TV, but in this just past olympiad, the 10 minutes of the 2 weeks it was broadcast i saw was the final of the mens football, and even then that was a mistake, i thought I had switched to some sort of pro tournament

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
One of ours looks like costing us and his three team mates a silver medal. But why was this allowed to happen?

Surely as a precautionary measure the GB Olympic Committee should ensure that all our competitors had a drug test shortly before travelling. You know they are going to be tested while there so why not take sensible precautions so that we are not embarrassed.
I feel REALLY sorry for his teammates if it's proven true ... but certainly don't feel that WE have anything to be embarrassed about.
I also feel bad for the the finger of suspicion that will inevitably be pointed at ALL the competitors who are competing clean.
For example, just look at Sky/Ineos and British Cycling after all their success.

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
To my mind, I think there are three main scenarios we need to consider:

1) Intentional doping to improve performance
2) Accidently doping - not knowingly taking a banned substance
3) Being intentionally spiked by a third party

Whilst the regulations are primarily in place to prevent (1), I cant help think it's unfortunate when someone is banned because of (3) and (2) to a lesser extent, especially if it's not their fault (in the widest sense of the term).

I don't suppose we'll ever get to the bottom of this, but you have to feel for people who have trained for years only to have their efforts nullified by an innocent mistake.

Neil ofthe nene

Site Supporter
Not sure how you prove 2 & 3. Competitors word?

IMHO very few "innocent mistakes" happen if you are an elite athlete.

nejohn

Site Supporter
Its a joke when a banned nation can compete under a different guise.
Or even a competitor that was born a man and basically still has the body and bone/muscle structure of a man can compete as a woman yet potentially someone that takes a cold remedy could get banned