Old video footage

padraicgaffney

Hi Folks. I live in a small village in Ireland, in County Cavan, called Butlersbridge. As a kid in the 70s I remember fondly seeing all the fisher men and women on the banks of the Annalee, and on the odd occasion I'd gain enough courage to shimmy up to one or two, to ask questions and sit all day just enjoying their company and sport.

Recently I stumbled on a snippet of youtube footage on the apollo36uk channel

and for a few seconds there was a group of the local Butlersbridge village kids pictured on the Bridge fishing. Till last week none of them seen it and we all got great kicks passing it around social media.

That got me thinking, there must be lots of holiday camcorder vhs or older footage lying around of fishermen that holiday'd in the Cavan area. I'd love to try and source some old footage. Simple stuff like driving around a Cavan town or village, or visiting a local pub, spot of fishing. Nostalgic stuff.

Would it be possible to pop a notice on your forum/club with the above, just to see if I can source anything. In these covid times, this I think would be a good project for me to undertake and it would bring a smile to many locals looking back in time.

Regards Padraic GaffneyButlersbridge, Co. Cavan
padraicgaffney@gmail.com
www.youtube.com/c/Butlersbridgetv/videos

Simon R

Site Supporter
Shush .......... don't give away my secret identity :p

There's not a lot of 'scenic' videos that I shot myself - just fish generally
Another bridge is this one on the River Finn that we had a daft hour on after another disappointing day at Annaghmakerrig.

Other venues include most of the lakes around Cootehill plus Garadice, Drumcoura, Awaddy and the Woodford river around Ballinamore and various stretches of the River Erne - north and south of the border.
Most of the spots we fish are in the middle of nowhere and aside from other anglers and the occasional farmer we never see a soul all day

Simon

padraicgaffney

Shush .......... don't give away my secret identity :p

There's not a lot of 'scenic' videos that I shot myself - just fish generally
Another bridge is this one on the River Finn that we had a daft hour on after another disappointing day at Annaghmakerrig.

Other venues include most of the lakes around Cootehill plus Garadice, Drumcoura, Awaddy and the Woodford river around Ballinamore and various stretches of the River Erne - north and south of the border.
Most of the spots we fish are in the middle of nowhere and aside from other anglers and the occasional farmer we never see a soul all day

Simon
Haha Simon you have been ratted out...
Yip that is what am looking for in general some of the scenic, fishing downtime exploring the area type stuff.
But I am enjoying your fishing video's also. I tend to be on the Annalee river a lot in the summer here, be it fishing, or just a bit of canoeing.
Do you know was there ever anymore of that "Happiness is a Rod in Ireland" shot or was it just that one episode?

Padraic

Simon R

Site Supporter
Do you know was there ever anymore of that "Happiness is a Rod in Ireland" shot or was it just that one episode?

Padraic
There's four parts in total - back when I uploaded it there was a 10 minute limit on videos so I had to chop it up
(Part 1)

Just search for the title and the others should appear

I tend to be on the Annalee river a lot in the summer here,
We've fished the Annalee a couple of times at Ballyhaise - just for a change after a few days staring at a tip.
No big weights but pleasant enough sport - only place in Ireland I've ever caught a trout too.

Simon

Mike atkinson

Site Supporter
Michael - ask yourself the question "Have I been to Ireland with Simon?"
That should answer your enquiry :p
It was me Watty, Bezzy & John Mick

Simon
Lol, memories going a bit now auld lad, I knew I’d been with bezzy and watty