Old Tackle

Yosemite Sam

Site Supporter
I’ve forgotten half of the old stuff I have got. I do remember that I a couple of Harrison Gti float rods and 3 Abu 501’s. A Dave Harrell 15’- 20’ float rod and 3 of his spliced tip rods in 13’ and 12’. My trusty boss box that I use for River work and a canal base to go with it. My first ABU rod hold-all , which is still a favourite , even though the zip has broken, and some original GTI luggage that I also still use.

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Got a jaguar ten foot leger rod and a ten foot multi tip feeder which is basically a wand, the `jags` might be old but they are perfectly
usable.
Oh yes...forgot that I've also got a Jaguar feeder that came with the job lot of tackle I bought last year. Haven't used it yet. Is it okay for rivers or is it more of a stillwater feeder rod?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
Got a jaguar ten foot leger rod and a ten foot multi tip feeder which is basically a wand, the `jags` might be old but they are perfectly
usable.
I was using a ten for multi tip feeder in a rock hard winter league a couple of years ago when every fish counted. Suddenly the tip goes round and I have a hard fighting F1 on. As I'm reeling in the reel fittings came loose and the reel came off the rod! While everyone around me was laughing there heads off and hoping for the fish to come off, I had to hold the reel on the handle while trying to reel the fish in. What a mess. I landed the fish and vowed to retire the rod. I replaced it with a 10 foot Daiwa D-Carp feeder rod. No more reel falling off!

NoCarpPlease

Site Supporter
it's a much shorter list to write down the "new" tackle that I use - I'm not sentimental, just think that my familiarity with the existing tools is worth more to me than the possible 5% advantage that I might gain by replacing.
all of these are in regular open match use and predate 1990
AS1 seatbox
mitchell match reels
ABU 507 mk1 and 501
shimano TPGT 11m pole
daiwa harrier 11/13
”image” canal rod (same blank bit not branded)
original Shakespeare Sigma wand (glass fibre)
original Shakespeare superteam whip
lots of floats ... and lots more from around 1992

ravey

Practically all my gear is old. Oldest is probably the Mitchell 200A I have from 1978. It was a birthday present to replace the Intrepid Prince Regent I had. I also still have and use a Watercraft seat box which dates back to the early 1990s. Much of the rest of my stuff is from the 1990s, as I had a few years break, but never sold any of my gear, as I knew I would return to this marvellous pastime.

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
usable.
Got the jaguar 10' feeder, and a jaguar canal wand, I used the wand on the Thames at Sandford the other week, brilliant little rod,

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I also have a daiwa jaguar rod. Will dig it out when I get home. Don’t think I’d use it these days though. Had sliding reel fittings and heavy.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
If I had looked after and kept all the tackle I used in the 1960's, I could have saved myself a few bob over the last five years when I've been buying vintage tackle. :oops:

adriang

Site Supporter
Oh yes...forgot that I've also got a Jaguar feeder that came with the job lot of tackle I bought last year. Haven't used it yet. Is it okay for rivers or is it more of a stillwater feeder rod?
I've got one, I think it is labeled as a quiver, it's different from Marks. Used to use it mainly on the Severn in the summer, after bream.

baldpaul

Site Supporter
Recently found my old B&W 10’foot carp rod, along with an Abu 13’ fibre glass match rod 3’ of which is cork handle!.

TrickyD

Site Supporter
Still have a DAM Futron 13.7m pole, hasn't been used in at least 5 years, old tackle items that are constantly used are Shimano twin power spliced tip rod, Daiwa Harrier Amorphous Whisker 13ftH, Kevin Nash match rod holdall, rive box with octoplus legs, loads of stick floats,ULTRA, MILO,JOHN DEAN, all this was bought new by me in the late 80's/early 90's, some stuff has recently been sold , ABU 501, Shimano Super Match, GT3500 reels, Shimano Twin power feeder rods, got rid of them about 2 years ago for not a lot of money (probably less than £150 for the lot) would get a heck of a lot more for it now. The stuff I kept I won't get rid of as nothing similar is available now.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
I was using a ten for multi tip feeder in a rock hard winter league a couple of years ago when every fish counted. Suddenly the tip goes round and I have a hard fighting F1 on. As I'm reeling in the reel fittings came loose and the reel came off the rod! While everyone around me was laughing there heads off and hoping for the fish to come off, I had to hold the reel on the handle while trying to reel the fish in. What a mess. I landed the fish and vowed to retire the rod. I replaced it with a 10 foot Daiwa D-Carp feeder rod. No more reel falling off!
Got the jaguar 10' feeder, and a jaguar canal wand, I used the wand on the Thames at Sandford the other week, brilliant little rod,
Afternoon men, the multi tip I am referring to is very light indeed. would not want to hook anything powerful on it but I like to fish
light for roach so it suits me. I prefer the old fashioned sliding reel fittings, never had a problem.