Old Tackle

Cobweb

Site Supporter
I still have my old umbrella which I bought in 1991. I shelled out £4.99 for a can of waterproofing silicon spray for it yesterday, as a 30th birthday present. Also from around that time, I still have my old 3 piece TriCast feeder rod which bought second hand for £25 at Croydon Angling. Sadly the only tip I have left for it is the heavy one. Also my old 13ft Daiwa Whisker signature float rod (now 12'9") with the old style butt rings and cork handle. A Shimano Power Loop[ 3 piece 11'3"light feeder rod with similar reel rings is still with me after all those years, and is also in a rod tube safely stored away. Not in storage is my Shimano 3000 Xt reel which I still use and works peerfectly. The old Leeda seat box which has been in a workshop and had adjustable legs fitted to it is still here, along with a number of fittings and accessories, but soon to be collected along with a number of other pieces of kit which include a cradle, rods, reels, terminal tackle, etc which I am donating to a charity for disabled kids angling based in Canterbury

Last edited:

nejohn

Site Supporter
I have a couple of Abu 506M's that get fairly regular use along with a Daiwa conny, Normark Avenger 2000, leeda 7000 spliced tip and a Tri-cast 4x4 feeder rod. Got other stuff that gets used occasionally like a pair of Mitchell 440's, grice and young Avon supreme, drennan medium feeder, 2 drennan bomb rods + some other bits and pieces that I dig out from time to time. I got a lot of kit nicked when some scroat broke into my shed around 10-12 years ago so consequently I have a fair bit of kit around 10 years old that was replaced by the insurance company

adriang

Site Supporter
My main float rods are over 25 years old, Shimano XM, Tricast and Microlites, although I did treat myself to a brand new Maver this season. Last season picked up a MAP DH and a Preston second hand.

I did buy the 506 mk2s, but recently went back to mk1s. Tip fishing, I use a pair of old shimanos, I only recently changed the line after about 15 years (Maxima).

Bigger quarry, I bought second hand Shimano baitrunners and a pair of Drennan avons.

Pole, I'm still using a 14m Silstar, it cost a fortune back in the day, although I've only used it as 14m once or twice, as it's pretty unwieldy over 12.5m.

Terminal tackle.. I've just used up the last of my samurai match hooks..

squimp

Site Supporter
Old reels:
Shimano Match 3 trotting reels (2).
Shimano 4000 super GT (2).
Shimano GT4000 Baitrunners (3).

All still used regularly and fit for purpose.

Old rods:
Shakespeare Superteam Quattro 12ft light feeder rod - superb big roach rod.
Drennan IM8 12ft Feeder.

Both owned since new And still good.

Daiwa Harrier AWL13ft. bought last year- fantastic light float rod.

Tricast Triaxial 13/15/17ft spliced tip ‘power’ float rod. bought recently but dates from around 2005. Interesting rod - light but really powerful.......

The Landlord

Site Supporter
Daiwa Jaguar Matchlite pole that I bought in 1985. It's got a couple of bits of tape over one of the No2 sections, covering a split. I've just put new elastic in & I'm using it on the canal on Sunday.
Mitchell 300
Mitchell 440
Umbrella (unknown make) that had a screw on collet that's missing.
A freebee little red tackle box (about 4" x 2") from Angling Times. I've just started using it again, ideal for dacrons, bushes etc & fits in one of my drawers.

MarkW

Where do I start? I use a 1980 bait waiter that I designed, Mitchell Matches that date back the circa 1980, rods of various vintages, including an annual airing for a mid-70s ABU Mark 6, floats that may date back as far as the 80s (70s if I put an Ivan Marks float on), 'pins that date back to the 30s, a Shakespeare box from about 1987, hooks that vary from brand new to late 70s.....

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Errrrmmmm... all my gear is old... the oldest an Allcocks Aerialite pin... circa 1935
The longest owned...? Gotta be my Tideflo Strikerite pin, bought in 1974 and my Shakespeare Polystel Alpha bought new in 1979.. still got em.. still usable...

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My Bait Water is probably from the 90s. A Green Drennan one. Reminds me I need to fix it with some glue today as the top of the thread has came loose so it spins around. Such a simple item of tackle but lasts forever. I don't have much old tackle, floats etc, but the stuff I do have is special to me as it reminds me of fishing as a kid. This brolly came out a lot back then.

smiffy

Site Supporter
Still got a full set of Drennan Team England luggage in the garage. Used it for years and I bet if I gave it a bit of love and tenderness I could get it back into working order. It’s only the zips that need looking at. Best luggage I ever used.
All my rods are from the 90’s and early 2000’s. All my reels are 90’s shimano.
Cant say modern stuff isn’t as good but those reels are still going strong despite no maintenance whatsoever.

tee.bee

Site Supporter
Ive still got some isotope floats from the 80s still glow in the dark also a daiwa umbrella from the 80s that i got with embassy coupons still use it now

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Where do I start? I use a 1980 bait waiter that I designed, Mitchell Matches that date back the circa 1980, rods of various vintages, including an annual airing for a mid-70s ABU Mark 6, floats that may date back as far as the 80s (70s if I put an Ivan Marks float on), 'pins that date back to the 30s, a Shakespeare box from about 1987, hooks that vary from brand new to late 70s.....

Do you do a bit of Circuit traning before handling that Mk 6 Mark ?

I always wanted one as a kid, seeing it in the old "Tight Lines" ABU catalogue, lusted after it really, then a few years ago I got one off E-Bay, those youthful dreams went up in smoke soon after, it mighta looked good, but.................

MarkW

Do you do a bit of Circuit training before handling that Mk 6 Mark ?

I always wanted one as a kid, seeing it in the old "Tight Lines" ABU catalogue, lusted after it really, then a few years ago I got one off E-Bay, those youthful dreams went up in smoke soon after, it might have looked good, but.................
It's only 14.75 ounces! Considering I used to fish 9 metres to hand in matches it's not that bad though I do do weight training. I got my first Mk 6 in 74 when I was 17 and weighed about 8 stone at the time but you get used to it. I had dace catches to 50lb on fast water with it, 32lb of dace in match, and you knew about it the next day. I remember someone having the 14' 6" Milbro Enterprise and that weighed 21oz from what I remember.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Here's an oldie I inherited from an uncle, and yes, he did fish it with that small amount of line on it. I don't intend to use it or add more line, just keep it as is for nostalgic reasons.

SHXwjRr.jpg

He also left me this old Diawa 7500. Again, he fished it with such a little amount of line on it! Another one for the memory shelf.

4TQf20I.jpg

And he left me this tiny ABU Record #13, which is an absolute joy to fish with on an ultralight 5' spinning rod.

3FN90Qr.jpg

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I’ve still got 2 tubs of bristle grease from about 1998 ??
???. Me too. It’s a good job Preston haven’t relied on bristle grease sales to keep their business going isn’t it ? ??

Attachments

• 37033B5D-1F2D-43ED-B6B7-A9B23D8E1EBB.jpeg
    37033B5D-1F2D-43ED-B6B7-A9B23D8E1EBB.jpeg
    195.2 KB · Views: 0

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I had a tub of bristle paint that was in my box since the late 90s and when I checked it, it had dried out.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
thing with bristle grease is

a small tub of vaseline does exactly the same thing

plus you can use it to lightly smear on your hands to keep em warm when the temps drop

for more tightarse tips follow Mickscheapolife.com

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
thing with bristle grease is

a small tub of vaseline does exactly the same thing

plus you can use it to lightly smear on your hands to keep em warm when the temps drop

for more tightarse tips follow Mickscheapolife.com

Tight wad...? bet you even wet yer pellets in a pair of tights or an old bait box???

smiffy

Site Supporter
You can also smear it on chipped or cracked paint to stop your floats getting waterlogged?. Constant reapplication is necessary. Have the red and yellow myself from years ago.

Pompous git

Site Supporter
Daiwa Jaguar Matchlite pole that I bought in 1985. It's got a couple of bits of tape over one of the No2 sections, covering a split. I've just put new elastic in & I'm using it on the canal on Sunday.
Mitchell 300
Mitchell 440
Umbrella (unknown make) that had a screw on collet that's missing.
A freebee little red tackle box (about 4" x 2") from Angling Times. I've just started using it again, ideal for dacrons, bushes etc & fits in one of my drawers.
Got a jaguar ten foot leger rod and a ten foot multi tip feeder which is basically a wand, the `jags` might be old but they are perfectly
usable.