Old Tackle

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
Not talking necessarily about vintage stuff, just stuff you've had for years. I can't stop thinking about the brolly I've got! Just a plain green one, not sure of make.

It is not as waterproof as it used to be but still going strong and probably early 90s vintage. I can't be bothered to replace it because I rarely use a brolly these days. Last time I used it was on the Severn with me and my dad sheltering under it. It's an essential part of my tackle never the less. Much like the Shakespeare Avon rod I won in a match at Earlswood around the year 2000. Or my Smart Box I would have still used had it not started to fall apart and me getting a new box, it was nice and light.

Any bits of old tackle like that you still carry?

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
My most used rod holdall is a blue Abu Garcia one I got from NorthWest Angling in the 90’s. The Brolly in it is the same age.

Have a Mitchell 300 reel that I use quite often and a Simpsons of Turnford 1.25lb tc tench rod.

carphauler

Barbel Tickler
I still have some forceps I found on the bank of a local quarry I used to fish in 1980, a couple of canal floats from then, lost all my canal greys and a Daiwa 120m that my mother bought me around the same time.

Arch

Site Supporter
If it wasn't for old tackle i wouldn't have any. Even when I buy some new kit, I look for second hand stuff first. Bought a pellet feeder and waggler rod brand new this year and that's it since my pole for new kit.

I have bought a little bit of new Carbelling kit this year though.?

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Shedloads of old vintage tackle here of every discription,

I buy and sell loads of it, from floats to rods-poles

theres allus a sale in vintage stuff

baggy

Mark Saunders
Still use a normark Titan 2000 12ft bought in 1993, 2 Milo powerlite 13ft float rods bought in 96 and 5 or 6 Milo whips from the early to mid 90s.

mickthechippy

space cadet
Staff member
Site Supporter
Don't sell them fox orange winders, they only appreciate in value, ?

took too long to get em, those ones saw a preston rig winder fan very happy, he had all of em they replaced

love it when a deal really works out, summat you desire that works out near on a swap

the foxes are full of floats and snuggled in the preston winders clip top boxes,

Last edited:

Chervil

Site Supporter
I've got a pair of forceps in my tackle box, that I got in about 1974/5. From a mate at school, who had a mate, who worked at the Victoria hospital in London. They have 'Victoria' engraved on them.

Total

Site Supporter
I've got a pair of forceps in my tackle box, that I got in about 1974/5. From a mate at school, who had a mate, who worked at the Victoria hospital in London. They have 'Victoria' engraved on them.

I bet you've got earlier plastic boxes! :love: ;)

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Not sure I have anything that classifies as old as only been fishing about 16 years old. Oldest tackle I still use is around 10 years old and it is starting to show it's age now compared to newer stuff. Tends to be my less used stuff that I can't really justify replacing until I break it.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I’m in the same club as Arch - all my tackle is old tackle bought secondhand but it does the job and puts fish on the bank so I am happy.

danny_glover09

I mainly carp fish now so have invested heavily in that over the last year or two. Most of my course/match fishing gear is 10 years old or older. A 13m Preston lerc pole which has the odd sections from other poles. Old float rod and a fairly old Shakespeare feeder rod. Still manage to compete as a guest whenever I fish a match with local club. Got hooks I was given years ago growing up and they still get used whenever I'm using small hooks. Line is only thing that really gets updated aswell as more modern method feeders

alsur

Site Supporter
Not much still use Drennan Bait tins I bought in 1980s and a couple of original John Allerton alloy sticks. Got an Abu 506 and Shakespeare Mach 2 boron I don't use. Also an old round keepnet that I sometimes take to river very rarely use it.

Not Now Kato

Site Supporter
Probably too much old stuff, but if it works why not use it. 2 Abu 501's, a 1970's Steadfast Team England 13' spliced tip stick float rod, an ABU Record Rulen 1300 that dates back to the 50's, a Mitchel 300 and countless more including loads of Devon Minnows that date back to the 50's when I started fishing. Just wish I still had the converted tank aerial rod that got me into fishing in the first place.

emmaemma

Site Supporter
I still carry the 2 Angling Times bits n bobs boxes with me wherever I fish but I do have older stuff that will never see the light of day again.

Simon R

Site Supporter
and................. No doubt, some pol vitamo !
I got a bottle of that - not sure of the exact age but it may be over 20 years old
It doesn't have a sell-by date, still smells the same and still has the same effect on the poor worm it's applied to, so I guess it's still OK to use
In any case it's a tenner a time now, so I wanna get my money's worth;)

Simon