Old stomping grounds on the Trent.

IanG1

Site Supporter
Invite to go back to old stomping grounds from Ravey today. Back on the old steps at Victoria Embankment. Fished them last year on the comeback trail but it was November and the Roach had gone off and Dace where more in abundance so hoping some roach would show this time. Light down stream breeze when we arrived so set up 6m whip to hand with 1.25 gram float in 6 ft of water. Fed caster and hemp from the off and started catching straight away more or less just running the rig through and slightly holding back to induce a bite. On to the tares and continue to take one or two nice roach. Steadily the the wind got up and presentation became more difficult with a long line to hand. The roach wanted it just so and I struggled to put it through that way. Ravey had opted to fish the pole and was looking to have more success after my earlier flurry so set up a shorter line rig of top 4 and pushed it out on top 6 to fish the same line I'd been feeding on the whip. Had more success with this but they weren't lining up so had to work at it. Wind was howling now making it a proper pain to inch it through. Ged turned up and started to fish a 5m whip but was only taking odd fish but at least this closer line gave slightly better control. My dinner was calling so packed up after tipping back low double figures of hard earned Trent roach and the odd stripey. Left the lads to it they were both fishing the whip but agreed it was a tough day in the wind. Thanks to Ravey and Ged for the company and looking forward to the next time hopefully with a more obliging breeze IMG_20190901_161417.jpg

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
That's a really nice net especially in those conditions. Can be a right pain trying to float fish when the wind gets up.