'Old' Poles

Status
Not open for further replies.

T

Does anyone think that the 'old' Daiwa Spectron would be a good buy at the 1250 I've seen it advertised for. I know this is an out of date design but Daiwa generic kits are readily available and has pole design moved on that much? The pole I require is to be used mainly for silver fish but sometimes for the odd trip to a carp venue. It has to be light, stiff and responsive. Are the new generation of 1000 - 1300 poles as good as the old Spectron, or do you really need to spend 2000+ to be able to fish at 16m in relative comfort. Thanks in advance for any views and experiences you have.

Tight Lines

stevieskin

Sorry to jump on your thread , but I am selling a six month old Spectron Power for around that sort of money if you are interested. Same mandrel and same weight as Tourney Pro.

Kingman

Hi,

I own a Spectron and can confirm it is still a top class pole. I recently purchased a Garbolino Carp Match as a proposed replacement (850). But it turned out to be thicker, less stiff and much heavier than the Spectron.
Given that the Spectron is 4 years old you would have thought a brand new model would be as good, even if it was half the price, but this is not the case.
I also wouldnt take a Spectron Power in preference unless all your work is on commercials. The Spectron is both lighter and I feel stiffer than the "power" version.

It would be good to test the Spectron against the Garbo G10 and the new Drennan just to assess how far pole technology has advanced. I am actually dissapointed that it hasnt moved on further

Hope this helps.

kingman

reevo

spectron power is stiffer without a doubt.maybe slightly heavier but better balanced

Status
Not open for further replies.