Old Pole Triana Grandeslam

derwentboy

Site Supporter
The other week, me and a mate were stood outside Wayne's Tackle in Preston when an old gent came up to us and asked if we were fishermen as he had stopped fishing and wanted to give his tackle away to someone who'd use it (he said his shed was being knocked down that day) Anyway to cut a long stoy short he gave me and my mate (who has just started to fish ) a load of old but decent stuff and in amongst it was a Triana Grandeslam 12m pole.....it's a bit chipped here and there but I was going to give it a good clean,elasticate it and see what it's like (2 top kits). The guy's name was Vic Wilkinson and said he used to fish for Isaak Walton Preston along with the Brogdens and Dave Roper. Really kind gesture of him..we told him anything we didn't use we'd give to Prince Albert JUniors.
Does anyone know anything about this pole? I'm guessing it is from the 80s or 90s...One thing I've noticed is how much thicker (diameter wise) new poles seem to be when compared to the old ones especially at the butt section..is that correct or maybe I've not seen some really decent ones..not sure.... Which manufacturers manage to keep them as slim as possible these days?
Thanks for any answers gents..I'll see if I can get it up and running this winter

alsur

Site Supporter
I had a Tirana Grandeslam in Late 80s early 90s can't remember exactly when I replaced the original tricast aristocrat with it. It was a mid price pole can't remembered what I paid for it. It was a good pole compared to what was available at the time but it was an out and out silver fish pole. Replaced in with preston diatex16m carp when commercia fishing took of which although stronger was lighter and stiffer. I believe there was more than on model mine was 14.5m although not much use at full length.

smiffy

Site Supporter
I’m no good at physics but I think they went for bigger diameters to get a stiffer pole. Most poles today are a much bigger diameter than the early poles. That and everybody went to put over poles rather than put in.
Browning Black Magic is probably the most well known,and maybe the last, put in pole and is much slimmer than many.

Last edited:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I can remember paying £2K for a Triana back in the 80’s, top of the range at the time, I can’t remember which model it was.

Nobby_nobbs

Site Supporter
I had a grand slam 1401 with the 16 meter extension back in the 90’s costing the best part of £2k back then, and they only came with two top kits.
They were good poles for the time, a bonus was that some of the Drennan Team England poles of the same era were interchangeable with it.

alsur

Site Supporter
I had a grand slam 1401 with the 16 meter extension back in the 90’s costing the best part of £2k back then, and they only came with two top kits.
They were good poles for the time, a bonus was that some of the Drennan Team England poles of the same era were interchangeable with it.

My pole was made on same mandrel as a Drennan Team England pole I can't remember what I paid butit wouldn't have been £2k I did get a good deal as my local tackle shop hap one they wanted to get ride off.

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
Triana made some good poles for several brands including Shakespeare and Tubertini but the Grandeslam badge was invented by John Roberts snr as a way of marking the UK sourced poles he supplied through Wayahead so the name got applied to several poles in the 90s.