Old place names

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My dad was born in Shard End on the Heath Way. Probably in the 60s onwards. But then moved to his first flat in or around Highgate in the early 80s before buying his first house in Acocks Green on Douglas Road a few years later. He tells me stories about before they built all the estates around Castle Vale/Brom and he could walk and play across fields all the way to Erdington from his house in Shard End. My uncle still lives in Shard End down the road from my nan on my Moms side.

I love all the areas of Birmingham BTW and it will always be my hometown no matter how it has declined in some ways.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
@bluemack I'm sure you've mentioned before the Hunters Moon pub. My aunt lives down the road in Hodge Hill and my uncle drinks in that pub/walks through the Bromford on his way to work at JLR. He has been chased out of the Bromford Estate on his way to work by someone saying "You're not from round here, you better run!".

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
My aunt wants to move to Bromsgrove as she says Hodge Hill is becoming more like Alum Rock.