Old MW pole floats

Stanley

Evening,

Going back 20 years ago I was really into my match fishing. Out 2-3 times a week on evening matches and weekends fishing opens, winter leagues and club matches. Then a house project followed by marriage and 2 kids came along so my gear had not seen the light of day really for a good 10+ years. Decided to get my old Boss Box out the garage at the weekend as was invited out to a local club lake with a friend. To my surprise I located a float tube that’s dated 2009 full of old Mick Wilkinson floats that never made them onto winders! Having a quick look around it looks like these are now sold under the Guru brand ? Take it MW floats are still as popular as ever ? Not even sure some of these designs are still made but as the weather warms up I’m looking forward to getting some of these back on a winder to see if they still go under ! 86FF06D3-7AD6-469B-BFB2-FE198944FC25.jpeg

matt

Site Supporter
Make sure you keep hold of those mate, the original Wilkies are like gold dust now!

Especially those original cookies and the power diamonds with the side eye....absolutely classic floats! :upthumb:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
To be fair you'd be better off listing these on ebay or similar and using the money to buy other floats and top up your gear :)

Stanley

Why are these old MW floats so collectible now ? Did Guru not buy the design templates from MW as looking through their website they look to be available in most sizes and patterns. Take it the mass produced floats are not the same quality as these handmade floats?
I just didn’t realise they were so collectible by people. Not sure I want to put some of them on winders now!

Peter

'Mugger'
Staff member
Site Supporter
You can still buy some patterns that are exclusive to Mick and still made by him HERE. :upthumb:

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
MW has quite a following of collectors and his floats often sell for greater prices than he sells at purely down to the demand for them.
Obviously unused floats will attract higher bids than used so don't use them if you've any thoughts about selling them :)

Anglingman

Mr Ginster
Site Supporter
some of them floats have the "old" style spring eyes that uncoil under pressure. Updated models have better specs.
Personally I would sell them for a pretty penny and buy new floats :p

Vinny

Nice! I recently returned to fishing after 16-17 years away, sorting out some old gear and getting some new. The game has changed. The finesse has gone it seems, no more 3-5lb main lines with a 1.9 - 3.7lb hook length and a 16-20 hook with a 3BB stepped waggler. These days a waggler is like a bit of drainage pipe attached to rope with an anchor at the end to catch the sort of fish that carp anglers spent all year camping overnight to try catch and were happy if they caught 1 or 2 per year. I'm still getting my head around some of the "modern" techniques, but the holdall is filling up with 10.5 to 11.5 ft pellet wagglers that you could use as boat rod in solent, instead of 12-13ft match rods and a pole that is thicker at the butt end than a can of Guinness. Still summers coming and cant wait to get out.