Old gravel pits near pocklington

Lusc69

Hi all just wondering if anyone has stayed here. I've booked a week stay for July and just after some information on how to fish it and best baits etc thanks

Chervil

Site Supporter
Hi all just wondering if anyone has stayed here. I've booked a week stay for July and just after some information on how to fish it and best baits etc thanks
We went there for a few years, but will admit we haven't been for about 10, so I may be a bit out of date. Firstly it's a nature reserve and I always found the ducks were a pain in the behind, diving for anything they could reach, secondly it was the clearest water I have ever fished.
I was there a bit before method feeders were popular, so was using an open ended feeder with pellet/corn as a bait. I would think that method would work well.
I was getting lots of carp up to double figures and some of the best bream fishing I have had. The owners were very helpful and if you wanted a new swim, would just come and strim one out for you, although they were getting on then, so it may have changed hands.
Which lodge are you staying in?

Last edited:

Chervil

Site Supporter
As far as I remember that's the one in the corner, with its swim beside it. There are only two lodges on the pit, so the fish aren't pressured. If you are looking for other holiday locations, nearby, I would suggest also having a look at Leven Park Lakes near Beverly. We went there for 10 years, until the owner sold it due to ill health. Only 3 lodges so very peaceful. Tight lines.

View from the veranda Little Grebe

DSCF0406.JPG
The swim is on the left side, towards the reeds, you can see the bed is very shallow in some places
DSCF0380.JPG
Looking from the other side the swim is on the right of the lodge
DSCF0398.JPG
Don't forget the margins!
DSCF0403.JPG