Old floats and waggler adapters...

farrovia

I have several old floats, including these Windbeaters, where the 'nub' (or whatever it's called) at the base of the float is too small to use with a waggler adapter.
How would you use them while still allowing for easy swap over?

Attachments

• Float1.jpg
    Float1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 55
  • Float2.jpg
    Float2.jpg
    638.1 KB · Views: 55

G0zzer2

Site Supporter
Probably a clip attached to a swivel.

But it's an eternal problem - different bases to diferent floats. We all have the problem. Someone here will no doubt have invented something to which all floats can be attached; I have never seen one.

feldri

Site Supporter
Many years ago I used to double the line to make a loop and push this loop through the small eye of the float and then up and over the float tip pulling on the line to bring the loop down to lock onto the eye. Then adding locking shot. To remove I just moved the locking shot, push the loop up and over the top of the float again and pull through the eye at the bottom. Repeat first part to put on new float and move locking shot back.

LivingLegend

I have several old floats, including these Windbeaters, where the 'nub' (or whatever it's called) at the base of the float is too small to use with a waggler adapter.
How would you use them while still allowing for easy swap over?
I've been working on this very recently. I'm a returner to the coarse fishing scene after a 40 year interlude because lockdown rules don't allow me to do the 100 mile round trip to my nearest beach! - fortunately I have plenty of rig-making kit for my sea fishing and have found that the 1.5 bore silicone tubing that I buy from Gerry's Fishing fits the base of my 40 year old Shakespeare bodied wagglers perfectly - stick a stainless steel snood swivel on the other end and bobs your uncle! Also, some of the paint had started to crack on my vintage wagglers so after some initial trial and error discovered nail varnish (apologies to the missus!) this is also really useful for changing the colour of tips as it dries really quickly. Although this pandemic has been and is hideous at least it's allowed me to rediscover what got me into angling all those years ago and I'm really enjoying it.

farrovia

All good advice, thank you!
As I want to use a silicon adapter (which takes my modern wagglers) with these older floats I've just epoxyed a bit of snap swivel into the 'nub' taken from an old waggler, which when dry should fit nicely.
It's very handy being retired, with the time to play...

Attachments

• Float3.jpg
    Float3.jpg
    737.6 KB · Views: 15

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Not mine. Most have just a straight stem to just stick into a waggler attachment. And unfortunately the stems are of different diameters.
I'm showing my age now, all my wagglers have a bottom eye. Although 90% are home made.

PAB

Site Supporter
what happened to those little aluminium thingy's with a bit if float rubber and a clip they used to make used to fit anything with a eye.

Triune

Still use them mate. Make my own out of paper clips. Not found anything better.
what happened to those little aluminium thingy's with a bit if float rubber and a clip they used to make used to fit anything with a eye.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
Anyone remember the floats that had eyes that were bent around and then through themselves? You could 'twist' the line into the eye without threading it.

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
I use differing sizes of Stonfo silicone float tubing (to suit the bottom diameter stems) and pull a swivel up through them. Best way of doing this is to thread a length of say 12" braid through the tubing (about 1" long is enough) thread on the swivel, double back the braid and pull the swivel in. If required the eye which will be in the rubber can be cut off - and pulling the swivel until the eye protrudes from the bottom. I normally just pull the swivel in. If required the eye can be squeezed to give a smaller slot for the line to pass through, especially if locking the float onto the line with say No. 10's. A lot cheaper than buying adaptors.

Photographs, hope that it is useful. If just pulling into the silicone, a drop of superglue can be added but not needed normally.

Attachments

• DSC_0081.JPG
    DSC_0081.JPG
    737.2 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0082.JPG
    DSC_0082.JPG
    514.8 KB · Views: 5
  • DSC_0083.JPG
    DSC_0083.JPG
    507 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

warrington63

Exiled Northerner
Site Supporter
I have the clip in a float eye ,but cant find the aluminium " barrel " it went into.
Obviously not used the float for years.Just not got round to taking clip out.