Old fashioned wand / picker rod...

Bullmoose Jackson

I am looking for a very light quiver rod for a deep canal harbour that I fish in winter. I was wondering is there any modern alternative to the old canal pickers that used to be made? Everything I see now that's around 8ft in length seems to be intended for commercials.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Take a look at the 10ft Shakespeare wand, they’re at the end of their line now so going for about £50 rather than their previous 80 odd. I have it’s predecessor and it’s a really nice silvers quivertip rod. Only reason I’m going to upgrade it to an acolyte ultra is because I could do with the extra foot in length and tiny bit more casting power.

floatfisher

Site Supporter
Might be an idea to have a look on e bay for an old Silstar picker or perhaps one of the DAM ones that were around in the 80's? Spare tips might be a problem though. I had a Silstar 10 footer for many years and also a Dam Chevron 8ft tip rod that took the original Shakespeare Sigma Wand tips that would move if a gudgeon burped on the bait.

Silver fan 82

Take a look at the 10ft Shakespeare wand, they’re at the end of their line now so going for about £50 rather than their previous 80 odd. I have it’s predecessor and it’s a really nice silvers quivertip rod. Only reason I’m going to upgrade it to an acolyte ultra is because I could do with the extra foot in length and tiny bit more casting power.
Are these intended for lighter bombs / feeders Silverfisher? Any good foe method feeders? Just wondering.

endpeg

New Preston Supera 10ft comes with tips down to 1/2oz, there's a video on YouTube of Joe Carass fishing for small skimmers at Meadowlands with it looks a nice rod!

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Indeed Silverfan, they’ll only cast up to 30g at a push and the tips are 0.75, 1 and 1.5 oz. You can see very delicate bites on them and feel the fight from all the but the smallest fish but still have a bit of backbone if you hook something bigger.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Take a look at the Cadence 10 Ft Wand here If you go on the Cadence Facebook page they are doing a deal if you subscribe to their You Tube channel for a free reel with one of their rods (not sure if it applies to the wand though) Alternatively wait for their Boxing day sale as they usually do some special deals then.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
I have been using the Cadence wand this week on a club water thats upto 20 ft deep, my peg was approx 12ft deep andl was using the .75 glass tip, and caught bream to 4lb and the rods action is really nice, tomorrow l intend to use the .5oz glass tip.
I have the original shakespeare wand which is also very nice, and the drennan winklepicker 8ft rod which is nice to use on canals.
I am sure you would enjoy using the Cadence wand, and as mentioned, at the moment you can get one with a free cs5 reel.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
Thinking of getting a CS5 3000 to go with the CR10 #1 13ft I got on Black Friday but will only get one if there’s a deal on over Christmas and new year, it’s purely for the aesthetics of them matching rather than actually needing one so will only do it if cheap

Silver fan 82

Indeed Silverfan, they’ll only cast up to 30g at a push and the tips are 0.75, 1 and 1.5 oz. You can see very delicate bites on them and feel the fight from all the but the smallest fish but still have a bit of backbone if you hook something bigger.
Could be one to look out for.

nutmeg

Site Supporter
The latest shakespeare sigma wand, is basically a poker in comparison to the original sigma wands, l think l still have a couple of them up in the loft, the tips on the Cadence wand are very similar in style, appearance and action.

Markywhizz

Clueless member
Site Supporter
All the Garbolino picker rods are light and come with 1/2 oz tips. The bullets are available in 8ft and are only about £30. They don’t feel like a £30 rod imo. I’ve got a 9ft Altima and I really love it. It was in a sale for £75. You can still get them for around £90.

solwood

Site Supporter
I use Shakespeare mach 2 xt 9ft wands

Love them, light, sensitive and great action

Sometimes pop up on ebay

Thom

Why not consider a LRf rod such as the Shakespeare agility? Yes it’s not exactly what you’re looking for but what a brilliant, sensetive rod with a lovely grip. May be a little short but cheap as chips!

lucc

I bought the lightest and very cheap picker for 9', only 115g impossible to find lighter, daiwa quality, 2 tipe, , very parabolic, only 48€ till you are still in EU....
i tested it with 30g @30m, it's a max. Ideal till 25m.

Bullmoose Jackson

Thanks to all for the suggestions. I'll take a look at the Cadence Wand and the Drennan Ultralight Mini feeder.

Lucc, where did you buy the aqualite? I have seen them online in Europe, but not in England or Ireland. Are you happy with it, and are the quiver tips rated?

Carp attack

Might be an idea to have a look on e bay for an old Silstar picker or perhaps one of the DAM ones that were around in the 80's? Spare tips might be a problem though. I had a Silstar 10 footer for many years and also a Dam Chevron 8ft tip rod that took the original Shakespeare Sigma Wand tips that would move if a gudgeon burped on the bait.
I have a silstar matchpicker 10ft, dad bought me it for my birthday many years ago and in winter its absolutely brilliant for silvers! ?