Old dog new trick.

Stufish

I decided upon going back to eye kettleby lakes that after watching a few videos I would give the method feeder a try ( only ever used a swimfeeder in rivers before) and what an eye opener it was. I purchased a couple of banjo feeders, some 4mm sticky pellets, Qm1 pushstop hooklengths, ringers wafters and even a new Leeda 10ft bomb rod and decided to try lake 5 tight to the island, I couldn't believe how the tip never stood still and the bites were unmissable with the tip pulling right round and the end result was eight carp between two and six pound. So for all those newly returned to fishing (like me) give it a go, I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
Hi

Which lake were you on ? I have fished it a few times with a fellow MD that used to travel a couple of times a year (pre-Covid) Must admit I have missed our get togethers on lake 7.

Stufish

I was on lake 5 because for the last hour before dark I decided to try for the fabled big perch, I'd prebaited a spot and set up a float rod with prawn and just before it got dark the float slid away and after a spirited fight I slipped my landing net under a lovely 3lb,. Common! Can't win them all but what a stunning place to have the pleasure of fishing.

rd115

Some of the gear, No idea
Site Supporter
I decided upon going back to eye kettleby lakes that after watching a few videos I would give the method feeder a try ( only ever used a swimfeeder in rivers before) and what an eye opener it was. I purchased a couple of banjo feeders, some 4mm sticky pellets, Qm1 pushstop hooklengths, ringers wafters and even a new Leeda 10ft bomb rod and decided to try lake 5 tight to the island, I couldn't believe how the tip never stood still and the bites were unmissable with the tip pulling right round and the end result was eight carp between two and six pound. So for all those newly returned to fishing (like me) give it a go, I think you'll be pleasently surprised.

I tried fishing the method on Lake 5 in September last year and didn't get a sniff from a carp, just skimmers ?

Switched to the key shaped lake (narrow end) and immediately did well on the method.

Stufish

I tried fishing the method on Lake 5 in September last year and didn't get a sniff from a carp, just skimmers ?

Switched to the key shaped lake (narrow end) and immediately did well on the method.
I think you mean lake 3, I fished that Tues night with 4lb mainline and a 2lb hooklength with maggots on an 18 to try for the 'finicky' crucians but only managed bream and roach then on Thurs morning I returned with the banjo feeder and 5lb hooklength to a size 12 with a wafter and among other carp caught a1lb crucian! Do fish have a sense of humour?

Silver fan 82

I love feeder fishing in all its different forms but the method feeder takes some beating IMO! Glad you enjoyed fishing a new method.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
I think you mean lake 3, I fished that Tues night with 4lb mainline and a 2lb hooklength with maggots on an 18 to try for the 'finicky' crucians but only managed bream and roach then on Thurs morning I returned with the banjo feeder and 5lb hooklength to a size 12 with a wafter and among other carp caught a1lb crucian! Do fish have a sense of humour?

Crucians definitely have a sense of humour!
They will tease you for hours, with little trembles and dinks of the float.
Then, just as you have decided that they are not feeding properly, the float will vanish.
Only to reappear the second you gather your wits and strike.

On a calm evening, if you are very quiet, you can even hear the little rascals chuckling among themselves in the lily beds.

Zerkalo

Site Supporter
I'm one of these luddites that had a break from fishing and returned and love feeder fishing but never fish method or pellet type feeders.

I remember at one point, just as method feeders were becoming very popular, they were still quite controversial, or at least more controversial than today with improved feeder safety, so much that some venues banned the use of them.

I still see it on some venues now, no method feeder rule, not sure why, probably stuck in the past like me.

That's nothing to do with why I don't fish them though, problem is, I don't really fish anywhere that screams out to me 'must use a method feeder'.

Stufish

I'm one of these luddites that had a break from fishing and returned and love feeder fishing but never fish method or pellet type feeders.

I remember at one point, just as method feeders were becoming very popular, they were still quite controversial, or at least more controversial than today with improved feeder safety, so much that some venues banned the use of them.

I still see it on some venues now, no method feeder rule, not sure why, probably stuck in the past like me.

That's nothing to do with why I don't fish them though, problem is, I don't really fish anywhere that screams out to me 'must use a method feeder'.
Maybe all the stars aligned but I found it a really exciting way to fish, the tip was quivering and dancing from the word go and the bites were real rippers. If you get the chance to try it on a commercial give it a go and hopefully enjoy.

Scribe

Site Supporter

Fished lake 3 in Autumn at the same narrow end. I was intending to fish Lake 7 but the wind was blowing strongly which would make presentation difficult as Lake 7 is very open. Lake 3 is sheltered, by trees one side and a high bank the other. I found I was catching crucians and nice stamp or roach & perch very close in to the bank in no more than 2 Ft of water. I was fishing the pole and had to go out to 15 Metres to catch bream.

Have to agree with you that it's a beautiful complex of lakes and is kept iin mmaculate condition by the grounds staff. It rates as one of the most natural looking commercials I have had the pleasure of fishing.

Stufish

If you fished lake three and caught crucians and perch I've taken an instant dislike to you, ?? In all seriousness I can't see me going again this year but if I go next spring I'll give you a shout and you can show me how to master the crucians. I'll even talk the Mrs into bringing us some bacon sarnies!

Scribe

Site Supporter
Hi Stufish

Gladly have a day out with you there. (y)For some unknown reason it's a place that always slips off my radar as far as venues go for a days fishing,
I don't know about master the crucians, I think it was more fluke than by design it was just one of those red letter days where it was a bite a chuck.
Bacon sarnies are welcome on any day. :D