Okuma Interceptor IBF 55b - small price but massive performance

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Last weekend my little £2.50 charity shop bargain “Kingfisher” feeder reel succumbed to one too many carp - a brief internal exam revealed terminal main shaft and gear wear plus cracked drag shims.

Luckily the neighbour of a good mate used to run a tackle shop/stall a few years back and still has sheds full of new old stock - braving
lockdown he found me one within my tiny budget and I duly “clicked and collected” to his house.

E38B910C-238E-4FB8-9FFE-8146E6379F0C.jpeg

The reel is an Okuma Interceptor 55b baitrunner, brand new in the box with a spare spool for the immense sum of £15.

Now I’ve never owned a baitrunner but Chris talked me through its operation such as setting the drag and clutch, etc and bunged in a 1000m spool of el cheapo 15lb backing mono.

Loaded it up last night and added 100yds of Drennan Carp & Silverfish mono as my main line - exactly what was on my Kingfisher.

On to the lake this morning to be baptised in the fire of a natural water loaded with carp only - the reel was to be fished in conjunction with a Ron Thompson 13’ Panther medium feeder rod and a Drennan 15g small flat in-line method feeder, size 16 QM1 banded insisted the rig.

Not intending to utilise the baitrunner facility I set the front drag fairly tightly and made my first cast - the bail arm is smooth to open, the line fed smoothly off the generous spool and I could easily feather the line with the light application of my index finger which fell naturally onto the lip.

Although I generally close my bail arm manually I used the comfortable double handle to close it and it did so with the merest turn and a satisfying clunk. Establishing a bend in the quivertip was much easier than before with the balanced twin handle.

Retrieval of an empty feeder was very smooth and when I got my first bite the handle fell naturally to my hand. The 4.5:1 ratio is more than enough for what I need.

lntrigued I engaged the baitrunner facility for a couple of casts (not really a method feeder technique) and when my next bite came the spool sang as it span as intended with the barest of handle turns clicking the switch back enabling a smooth strike on a 6lb common.

A most unexpected test came with the third and last fish of my session - a long bite and a big angry lump on the end. The reel performed flawlessly during the 10 minute ding dong battle allowing me to net a stunning 12lb 11oz common on the 8lb line.

This may not be a “new” new reel but as far as value for money, build quality and performance go I am stunned and delighted - I am certain it will give me many years of hard battling service.

Karl

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Okuma reels are the nuts for the money... I still have one that's nearly 15 years old... I bought a pair of Longbow's (gave one to a buddy after he had his gear nicked... he's still got it... loves it too)

OldTaff

Site Supporter
Okuma reels are the nuts for the money... I still have one that's nearly 15 years old... I bought a pair of Longbow's (gave one to a buddy after he had his gear nicked... he's still got it... loves it too)

Don’t know what it would have cost when it first came out but it is a whole lot of reel and feels built to last

crumpercatcher.

Site Supporter
The Okuma Aventa Pro baitrunners I have are very good. Better than the Daiwa baitrunners I have and as good as xtea Shimano baitrunners imho.

Donny Pete

Site Supporter
Absolutely great reels for the money. I wish I’d bought a couple more of these for the thirty quid it cost me.

Attachments

• 6293162A-5C21-4EAE-958E-ACB46789C0A9.jpeg
    6293162A-5C21-4EAE-958E-ACB46789C0A9.jpeg
    325.5 KB · Views: 12

Reuben

Site Supporter
Absolutely great reels for the money. I wish I’d bought a couple more of these for the thirty quid it cost me.
Yep, the Epix Pros are brilliant. Still use a couple of EPB 30s that I bought new yonks ago & they’re still going strong.

nickg

I bought an okuma intercepter as a cheap second to my shimano baitrunner a few years ago.

I used it once and threw it away. Absolute junk compared to a decent shinano. Id never buy other than shimano, the other brands just don't feel the same. And for the sake of a few quid its a no brained.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I bought an okuma intercepter as a cheap second to my shimano baitrunner a few years ago.

I used it once and threw it away. Absolute junk compared to a decent shinano. Id never buy other than shimano, the other brands just don't feel the same. And for the sake of a few quid its a no brained.

When you say a few quid which Shimano do you have ?

My review and opinion that the reel is excellent value for money is based on the price point of the new & boxed Okuma that I have bought (£15) because that is my budget and Shimano is generally outside of that for new.

nickg

When you say a few quid which Shimano do you have ?

My review and opinion that the reel is excellent value for money is based on the price point of the new & boxed Okuma that I have bought (£15) because that is my budget and Shimano is generally outside of that for new.

Stradic and baitrunner 5000 gte c.

Thing is, i bought my stradic for about 60 quid 10 years ago. It works perfectly and I could sell it for that tomorrow if i needed to. So the net cost of the reel is zero if I needed the money...

Simon R

Site Supporter
I bought the Interceptor way back in around 2001 - I remember seeing it mail order in Angling Times for about £25 which was about a third of the price of the cheapest Shimano Baitrunner at that time. I already had a pair of Shimanos and this reel was for the rare occasions (two or three times a year) when I'd be using a third rod. It was a bit of a punt since at the time Okuma were brand new - I'd never even seen any of their gear - but there had been one or two favourable comments in the angling press and whispered conversations in tackle-shops.

It's not a Shimano - it was never aimed at that market - it's not as smooth as a Shimano and doesn't feel as nice as a Shimano - but in the close on twenty years I've owned it it's never let me down - it winds in smoothly enough, the line lay is spot on, the baitrunner engages and disengages as it should, the drag is passable - what's not to like.

Photos from 2008, 2011 & 2013
It's the reel in the background in the first picture and in the foreground in the second - the reel at the back is another Okuma I bought a few years later (possibly the Dominator?) and I found the spools were interchangeable with the Interceptor.
ibf2008.jpg ibf2011.jpg ibf2013.jpg

And the Epix Pro is still one of my goto reels for fishing the feeder.

Simon

Davethefish

Site Supporter
The original Epix ( silver in colour ) was an even better IMO and I had both, nice reels for the money.