Okay, so there might be something to this pole malarkey after all

Chervil

Site Supporter
Shh @Yosemite Sam some things are better not said!
In all honesty I have not spent that much on pole stuff (recently) I was fortunate enough to have fellow members help me out and either do cracking deals or sent stuff for free. I have a Preston sock going free should @Chervil want it?
To me the "Pole" is a great tool in your arsenal but it will never replace rod and line for me, it feels somewhat detached if that makes sense?
One of the highlights of my year so far though was on the pole. A very greed carp literally sucking the bank 3 feet away, carefully shipped back and using the top section only, lowered the prawn hookbait in... WHAM! It was like a cruise missile on takeoff!!!
My next mission is to get to grips with feeder again. 2 new rods coming soon and I might just have to bunk a day off work... sorry @Dave ;)
Thanks for the kind offer, but I can cadge one from someone local (y). I fully understand what you mean by 'detached', even though I was catching loads of fish on my short poles, it didn't feel the same as catching them on a rod and reel. Possibly because I've been fishing that way for over 55 years.

Chrissill

I was in a similar boat as you, not fished for many many years, started up again 4 years ago on the waggler and feeder and didn’t ever think I’d buy a pole. Bought a 10m Edge Monster 12 months ago to give it a try and I absolutely love it. It got me started on pole fishing, helped me understand the basics and has been great.

Scribe

Official Supplier of Pork Pies to the Drowners
Site Supporter
@Chervil think you will find the pole useful at Eye Kettleby for fishing light and close to the Island.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
Young labourer on a job today rocks up at 8:30am, spent 2 hours out of 4 moaning about having to fill a skip, left at 12:30 as he thought he'd done enough for the day and coming back tomorrow to fill the other half of the skip - it's a good job I wasn't paying his wages.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
If it had been any site I’ve worked on he wouldn’t be coming back tomorrow at all

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
As I told him, if he'd been working for me he'd have been on another job in the afternoon with the full skip on the drive waiting collection.
His gaffer is away at the moment and he's taking the micky, but I'm not being paid to be the baby sitter

Nutbox

I'm new to the pole.

I bought the Ron Thompson Gangster because of the price and it came with a spare top two kit. I know it's not the best and at the full 11m I find it heavy and it sags a lot but have had great success with it using 5 or 6 sections out to about 8m.

I think i'm now a pole convert.