Okay, so there might be something to this pole malarkey after all

Chervil

Site Supporter
I have been fishing for what must be 55+ years, but have never really tried using a pole, so I thought I would give it a go. We have been away for a couple of weeks, so it was the perfect opportunity. I spent about half the time using a 4m Middy Battle Zone whip and a 6m Middy White Knuckle margin pole, (which just allowed me to reach some far bank lilies).
I must admit, that I found plumbing up a lot easier and was fishing much more accurately. Whilst I don't think it will ever become my main means of fishing, or spend thousands on a pole, I can definitely see the advantages. My next step will be a slightly longer pole, I'm thinking of the Preston Edge Monster, not sure whether to go for the 8.5 or 10m.
A question, at what length of pole would you advise using a roller and retainer/sock?

booboo

Site Supporter
Love my edge monster although I'm sure you'll get other / better suggestions. Get the 10m then you have a not bad all rounder if you put a lighter elastic in the spare topkit. Unusually for a cheap pole it's pretty comfy at full length all day - certainly up to 9.5 at least.

Dave Spence

MD virtual champion 2020. Golden Pie winner 2018.
Site Supporter
I have been fishing for what must be 55+ years, but have never really tried using a pole, so I thought I would give it a go. We have been away for a couple of weeks, so it was the perfect opportunity. I spent about half the time using a 4m Middy Battle Zone whip and a 6m Middy White Knuckle margin pole, (which just allowed me to reach some far bank lilies).
I must admit, that I found plumbing up a lot easier and was fishing much more accurately. Whilst I don't think it will ever become my main means of fishing, or spend thousands on a pole, I can definitely see the advantages. My next step will be a slightly longer pole, I'm thinking of the Preston Edge Monster, not sure whether to go for the 8.5 or 10m.
A question, at what length of pole would you advise using a roller and retainer/sock?
Owt over 7" requires a sock 🤔

MunchMyStump

Site Supporter
@Chervil Middy do some rather good 10m margin poles that are indeed 10m and strong as hell. Lots of spares and top kits available at very reasonable prices. I'm loving mine and do not regret one bit getting it. Like you it will never be my mainstay, rod and line man myself... But and this is a big but, the accuracy cannot be beaten. It has it's place in your arsenal and will get you places a rod and line can't.

Give it a whirl, the only thing you have to lose is the house, the wife and your bank balance :ROFLMAO:

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Been fishing the pole for near 50 years, never used a sock.

Roller even at topkit plus one or two makes life easier.

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter

Have a think about what you want a pole for, the Edge Monster is strong, it’s also a floppy disaster to fish with, if that’s your budget fair enough, but you may find something a lot better.

Total

Site Supporter
Have a think about what you want a pole for, the Edge Monster is strong, it’s also a floppy disaster to fish with, if that’s your budget fair enough, but you may find something a lot better.
:oops:^^ .....You can tell by your reply you've become a Browning Rep!;):p:oops:

Total

Site Supporter
No, there are plenty of poles on the market, buy what suits, I considered an Edge Monster, but after fishing with one decided to give it a miss….. so thought that worth passing on.
I know, just teasing and respect your advice and suggestions....;)(y)....Do alright at Todber?:unsure:

Maesknoll

Chris
Staff member
Site Supporter
I know, just teasing and respect your advice and suggestions....;)(y)....Do alright at Todber?:unsure:
Yes and no. It’s a league and I needed a section win, did that, so first aim achieved, but as is pretty usual for me, it was the 2nd lowest weight section, 177lb for me, only one other section under 200lb, overall winner had 400lb. All to play for on the last round…..

Total

Site Supporter
Yes and no. It’s a league and I needed a section win, did that, so first aim achieved, but as is pretty usual for me, it was the 2nd lowest weight section, 177lb for me, only one other section under 200lb, overall winner had 400lb. All to play for on the last round…..
Well done you....Sods law about the weight and you can only do what's presented to you...Well angled.....;) (y) .....Place has been fishing it's proverbials off reading Mr Shipps FB accounts.....

booboo

Site Supporter
Been fishing the pole for near 50 years, never used a sock.

Roller even at topkit plus one or two makes life easier.
Recently returned to angling after a near 15 yr break due to work/kids, and honestly can't remember how I used to do without one, but know I did!

Neil ofthe nene

Doing things differently.
Site Supporter
Recently returned to angling after a near 15 yr break due to work/kids, and honestly can't remember how I used to do without one, but know I did!
Thnking about it the reason I don't need a sock is probably because my rollers are quite low. This means the pole is not tilted down towards the water. If I have a high bank behind I just stick the pole in my keepnet or bucket to stop it sliding forward.

And no, I don't have a bad back even after years of using my rollers.

P.S. I own a sock but only because I won it in a raffle.

OldTaff

Site Supporter
I don’t think a sock is essential but rollers are - spent all last week fishing the pole (first time) only out to 8m although I had a couple of sections in reserve and with a pair of rollers everything went fine & at no time did I feel anything was at risk of heading for the water.

I do love the pole now though and cannot wait to get out with it again

Total

Site Supporter
I don’t think a sock is essential but rollers are - spent all last week fishing the pole (first time) only out to 8m although I had a couple of sections in reserve and with a pair of rollers everything went fine & at no time did I feel anything was at risk of heading for the water.

I do love the pole now though and cannot wait to get out with it again
I always look at it like this Mr Taff......A pole tulip or pole sock.....£5 to £7 ish?.....Price of new/lost or damaged sections?.....I rest my case.....;)(y)

rudd

Site Supporter
Thnking about it the reason I don't need a sock is probably because my rollers are quite low. This means the pole is not tilted down towards the water. If I have a high bank behind I just stick the pole in my keepnet or bucket to stop it sliding forward.

And no, I don't have a bad back even after years of using my rollers.

P.S. I own a sock but only because I won it in a raffle.
90 degree sock = peg holder 😆