Oh dear...

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
Once I was started on my way with fishing, my mum came fishing with me once, my Dad, never... Lots of kids were in the same boat... both parents worked or the old man worked his nuts off and mum looked after the home... occasionally the old man would play out the front with us kids with a couple of other Dads with a football, but that was more for their own fun than ours... sort of letting off steam....
I think the decline in tackle shops has more to do with high shop rents and overheads... a look on the bay of e will throw up loads of tackle dealers all working out of a garage full of stock rather than a shop...

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
I think the decline in tackle shops has more to do with high shop rents and overheads... a look on the bay of e will throw up loads of tackle dealers all working out of a garage full of stock rather than a shop...

Can't argue with that.

62tucker

Site Supporter
Once I was started on my way with fishing, my mum came fishing with me once, my Dad, never... Lots of kids were in the same boat... both parents worked or the old man worked his nuts off and mum looked after the home... occasionally the old man would play out the front with us kids with a couple of other Dads with a football, but that was more for their own fun than ours... sort of letting off steam....
Funny that. I once bought some sea rigs from eBay. This eBay shop had 100s if not 1000s of items and was only about 20 miles away. It had the address on eBay and once on a Saturday I said to my son. Fancy a drive to that tackle shop for for pike stuff that they had on there eBay shop. Long story short. The address was in the middle of a housing estate, No shops nearby. So I guess trading from his house. Or you buy off him and he gets it from somewhere else And delivered to me.

Silverfisher

Site Supporter
My most local shop (about 3 miles away) only opened less than a couple years ago and it appears to be thriving, there’s always a few people in there and they sell a lot online as well. There’s couple other shops fairly near me (certainly less than 20 miles) that are very dependent on the river scene so they do well most of the year but struggle a bit in the closed season and when the rivers are up and out of sorts.

zipper-de-doodah

A liner, about four hours ago...
Similar experience as a kid to Arry. Mum and Dad ran a pub so I kind of did my own thing. My friends and I used to get out and fish as a gang for safety, even when I was very young. I guess people are more risk-averse these days. I also think that the lack of youngsters coming through is a bit of a red herring and the rise of online/high overheads is probably more relevant to shop closures?

SpenBeck

Site Supporter
It's all down to mobile phones. Once you're addicted nothing else matters in life. It all revolves around the phone and being on-line!

It's going to be the downfall of society. :confused:

Cobweb

Site Supporter
All the more reason to support your local tackle shop...

This is worrying particularly at a time when on line threat retailers like Angling Direct are busy upping their profile and looking to open more shops in towns

I'm a late starter to fishing, dragged out protesting by my Stepson, when I was in my late 30s. Now, 30 years later, I wish I had started when I was a lot younger.

Getting back on topic, my local tackle shops are really feeling the pinch, being under pressure not only due to rising overheads, but to the aggressive expansion of organisations like Angling Direct. Having said that, even Angling Direct are being careful about what offers they are making at the moment.
It seems to me that all the on line sellers want to do is flog carp gear, bivvies etc, which I am not interested in.

The last thing I want is to lose my local tackle shops. They are vital for local info and advice on fishing techniques, equipment etc, with usually a huge pool of many years angling experience as an added resource across all the disciplines.

I've been to my nearest AD shop and all their guys are interested in is turnover. To me this mainly addresses the "bargain" aspect of buying from them. While price is important, I don't think it is the sole reason for buying anything. Discount isn't always the same as value for money. While AD staff have product knowledge, (as supplied by manufacturers) generally, I've found a noticeable absence of extensive knowledge derived from being on a bank or a boat covering more than one discipline

Ken the Pacman

Site Supporter
The reasons tackle shops shut are far more complex than the reduction in the numbers of juniors taking up the sport and most of them have been discussed on here before at some point.
Reducing the viability of any business by taking away the footfall through the door is the main reason any high street shop fails whatever they may sell and although the lack of juniors contributes to this so does the ageing angling population who don't want to be out in all weathers, obviously there are exceptions on both of these groups but it all contributes to the same result.
Mix in online sales the amount of tackle sold by people outside the trade the rise of the out of town big shop and the multiple shops selling basics on fisheries and its easy to see why the job gets harder for an established bricks and mortar tackle business.

Dave

Red Leader
Staff member
Site Supporter
At one time the tackle trade would not entertain supplying anyone without a bricks and mortar business.
No shop, no supply

ukzero1

Growing old disgracefully.
Site Supporter
At one time the tackle trade would not entertain supplying anyone without a bricks and mortar business.
No shop, no supply

It was the same with market stalls. Me and wifey had a market stall (a secure one with shutters) for a little over 4 years but getting stuff delivered was all about zero. My mate that ran a pet shop took the deliveries in and had them brought over in his van.

smiffy

Site Supporter
It’s sad and another sign that angling as a hobby is in decline. I’m waiting for the day when one of the big boys gets into trouble. It’s got to happen with the way angler numbers are dwindling. I can eventually see them all ending up like Go Outdoors. Especially if the Carp fishing bubble ever bursts down here.
I’ve spent many a Friday night with other anglers sitting drinking tea and talking about angling in the local shop,or I used to until it was forced to shut. I probably learnt more about technique,venues and baits in there than on the bank. To many the local shop was the focal point for talking shop. Miss that.
I don’t know how you attract the kids back. We have a generation of parents now that would rather sit on the Xbox with their kids rather than take them fishing.

Arry

Aitch, Cantankerous old gimmer with "Views"
Site Supporter
One of the problems that has been touched upon already is some staff in shops are there to sell a commodity... not knowledge, thiscis where the longevity of angling is taking a hit... when you walk in and are served by a 16 year old saturday lad when you want to know the difference between main lines of what size hooks for pinkie on the cut or any knowledge you may be on the lookout for...
Another thing... on a more personal level is the fact I rarely use carbon these days and my fishing is done in a traditional style all I really need from my local shop is bait hooks shot and leads with a once in a while purchase of a bit of clothing (even that's getting rarer due to Carp Tax) so in all honesty I can't see much of a future for the smaller shops

johng19

me@home.com
Totally agree with you. The other thing is in my day we didn't have thousands of pounds of electronics in are bedroom. We didn't even have a tv. You had to go out and make your own fun. Sorry to say it's a totally different world now. We new every apple pear and conker tree for about10 miles.

carpole

Kids today want play stations and online activities. Never see any kicking a football around never mind fishing.Think if the do go fishing it usually with a dad or grandad.Look round at the draw at most matches not many 20 year olds about.

Cobweb

Site Supporter
One of the problems that has been touched upon already is some staff in shops are there to sell a commodity... not knowledge, thiscis where the longevity of angling is taking a hit... when you walk in and are served by a 16 year old saturday lad when you want to know the difference between main lines of what size hooks for pinkie on the cut or any knowledge you may be on the lookout for...
I can't see much of a future for the smaller shops
I share the same view generally, and it is sad that in commercial terms the carp side seems the more attractive - particularly the luggage and accessory side more than rod and line. There are laws in this country which exist to prevent the development of monopolies, which this government is reluctant to police. On line retailers are predatory and moving the tackle business in a direction which is going to result in that scenario. Small businesses, such as local tackle shops need to be protected from the big on line sellers , but the bigger problem is the likelihood of the disappearance of the advice and local fishing knowledge, fish and wildlife care etc

As for the dwindling numbers, there is no doubt that smartphones, PS4s and the like are having a huge impact everywhere, but the tackle industry is still worth billions, and even with the anti hunt lobbying, which will also impact on us, I can't see the industry disappearing just yet.

As for local tackle shops, there is no doubt that the ones I use are feeling the pressure, but one has started developing links with the likes of Drennan for hosting and developing venues for match fishing contests (sport development etc) which helps to keep their business going and foster new interest in the sport. A couple of my local venues are not short of regular youngster interest (sadly mostly commercial) during the warmer months

Yuccaman

I like fishing.
Staff member
Site Supporter
I think there is an element being overlooked about young going fishing. Nobody in my family other than me fishes, and I taught myself pretty much. I spent loads of time down by the local river on my own or with a friend or two. Rightly or wrongly, how many parents today would let their 10 or 12 year old sit by a river on their own? We have all the commercials, but the overwhelming majority, quite possibly all, will not allow young anglers to fish without an adult. The same is true of clubs - I've had membership of half a dozen clubs over the last few years, and I think every one expects juniors to be accompanied by an adult. I'm 43, and I would suggest that fewer people in my generation fish than in the one before, and that the same again for the next one down. It's difficult to see that trend not continuing :(

tipitinmick

Site Supporter
I was told today that AD have opened a shop in Barnsley somewhere Peter. ????

davylad

Site Supporter
My parents never once came fishing with me, although they knew I'd gone. There used to be lines of anglers trotting some of the drains in Hull for dace and roach, or when it backed up it was eels and flatties. The kids nowadays have too many alternatives, without having to go outside even. I hardly ever see a young angler on the bank, got to be worrying for the future of the tackle industry, even the online shops.