Official Hartleton 2017 Soap-Dodgers Page

arkwright

FlyingCarpetPilot
Site Supporter
We will be down Thursday and the forecast looks like it's going to be cracking flags hartleton ...sunshine ???? What's going on ??? Sort you out with the dosh Steve when we arrive and I've got another sick note till I see doc on Tuesday so will be stopping till monday #128518;#128518;

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by andy_martin

Originally posted by spanky

Do I need size 20 elastic in my top sets or do you think I can get away with 16?
Double 19 through a landing net handle should suffice, no need to go to 20!
You're right of course. Need a bit of finesse with my tackle.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
All my bags are packed, I'm ready to go.

Just need to pick up some bait in York, then I'm away.

Bit concerned by this amber warning light (catalytic converter) which keeps coming on.
My usual VW garage told me not to undertake any long journeys at speed, but to crawl in to see them for diagnostics.

A second garage told me to stick it in Sport mode and give it a bloody good thrashing on a dual carriageway.

I took the advice of the second garage, and touch wood, the light has stayed off.

But if the car goes into limp mode on the M42 around Birmingham tomorrow... that's why I'm not there.

As Brian said, put my subs toward the portaloo, have a dump on me.
[:p]

muskrat

STAY ALERT
Site Supporter
Take the advice of Delboy Trotter .... take the bulb out!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
I'm just sorting through a few bits now... if I'm lucky I might be with you Thursday evening, if not it'll be Friday morning.

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by muskrat

Take the advice of Delboy Trotter .... take the bulb out!
Black electrical tape is quicker! [:T]

And can I please have a tench or two this year - not had one at Hartleton since 2010, and that was only about 7lb! [:0] [:I][;)]

andy_martin

The artist formerly known as...
Originally posted by banksy

And can I please have a tench or two this year - not had one at Hartleton since 2010, and that was only about 7lb! [:0] [:I][;)]
Used to be full of Tench and Perch :(
Bring plenty or worm...always used to throw one up!

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Originally posted by andy_martin

Just arrived.... as beautiful as I remember it!
That's no way to talk about Godher.

Hope to leave by 5pm myself. Be there by eight.

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
If anyone out there is still on line.......

I've been royally shafted at work covering absent colleagues. [:(]

Heads will roll next week!

Anyhoos, I hope to arrive sometime on Friday evening as soon as I can fight my way out of the London traffic.

Save me a cold one, and don't pinch my swim! [:T]

Barbelcatcher

Site Supporter
Come on - where all the bleary eyed photographs or is there a "D" notice on the venue!

Len Wade

Bog-Monster
Site Supporter
Including me.

I had the "Weekend from Hell" guys, van broke down on the A417 at Burford Road Junction, 30 miles from Harty.

Long story short, fuel injector packed up, van started misfiring like an old concrete mixer.

I stutter into a layby, had a smoke, consult the Oracle. (VW drivers handbook, page 243, dashboard warning signs.)

Twirly-whirly thingummy's - "Vehicle management fault, stop driving and seek assistance."

Oh bugger, sounds expensive.....

Next thingummy - " Catalytic converter damage imminent, stop driving and seek IMMEDIATE assistance."

OH, FFS! Now I'm in a quandary - do I get a breakdown recovery to take me to Harty, meet the gang and worry about getting home later, or do I do the sensible thing and get taken back to Norfolk to get the van fixed?

Well guys, I really had no choice. Busy day looming on Monday, short staffed and meetings to attend. I bit the bullet and got the breakdown service to take me and the duff motor back to Norfolk. 200 miles across Middle England, three relays, three drop-offs and three pick-ups by different breakdown outfits.
Finally got dropped off at my local VW dealership at 10:30 Saturday night.

I call back into the dealership on Sunday morning to tell the sales rep. on duty why a blue van has suddenly appeared on his forecourt overnight, only to be told that "It's a commercial vehicle and you will have to take it to So-and-so's garage in Norwich, our ECU's are not compatible and the engine management systems won't "talk" to each other.." [:H]

flip me. I thought I had bought a second-hand Gas Board van, not a f*****g Star-ship.

I will spare you the rest of the gory details, it gets messy from hereon in.......[V]

Anyhoos guys, I did my best to get there but the Fates conspired against me..... again. [:(]

Looking on the bright side, I hope all who did make it had a brilliant weekend and make sure you book it for next year! [:T]

PS.
I must owe somebody some dosh for hiring the thunder-box and booking the lake etc. and I don't want to see anybody out of pocket on my account- it's not your fault my jam-jar died.

Last edited:

banksy

Life Member
Site Supporter
It's been eerily quiet on this topic since the Fish-In, anybody would think it didn't happen!

Yes it was a wee bit warm, a lot of time was spent chasing the shade, and my flippin' back gave me a bit of grief, but it was great to see everybody again.

It's still a special place, and I hope we can do it again next year!
[:)]

spanky

Irregular Member
Site Supporter
Yep, I can concur it was hot.

If it's like that next time maybe we should think of retiming the match either earlier or later in the day.

Does anyone have a copy of the full match results?

I think Andy and yourself tipped back. Not sure about Jesse though, heard he was sunbathing for most of it.